Fan Fiction Section Features Wish List & Task List - Page 5

Posted: 1 years ago
Originally posted by Koeli

Locking stories is only applicable for plagiarism cases not for regular stories.

Okay. Thanks for clarifying. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Originally posted by oye_nakhrewaali

3. The index of the stories could have another column where the beta reader of the story could be credited for br-ing that particular chapter (they could be official member of IF FF BR team, or any another user) just like the FFGs are credited below the story title. We are currently crediting them using teh Author's note blank or in the chapter itself, but it would be great if they get more visible credit.

I completely agree. Currently BRs get little or no visibility or credit other than a small note at the bottom of the chapter. We do take a lot of time and effort to evaluate the chapters and make edits/ offer tips, and I think this will help in not just getting BRs noticed but also may compel more people to get their work BRed.

There can be a small section under the title of the story where the user can mention if their story was an entry/winner of some contest organized on IF. 

This was originally suggested by Seventreaks ๐Ÿ˜…

Originally posted by oye_nakhrewaali

There can be a small section under the title of the story where the user can mention if their story was an entry/winner of some contest organized on IF. 

This was originally suggested by Seventreaks ๐Ÿ˜…

It is a good idea. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

While at present the graphicers insert badges on the winning book covers, I am not sure whether the readers pay too much attention to it or not. ๐Ÿค”

With a small footer under the title, readers will be more aware and the book covers will remain neat as well. ๐Ÿ˜Š

A better search option would be helpful.

Although we are allowed to put content tags while uploading a story, ultimately we can't search using an individual tag (belonging to a particular show/character/on-screen couple).

It only suggests stories which have that particular tag as or as a part of their title. 

Edited by Nush_Rat - 1 years ago
Originally posted by Koeli

Firstly I would like to thank the technical team and Vijay for granting our long due wish and allowing mature content. I know it wasn't an easy decision for you, but I appreciate that India forums have always stood by what their members want. Thank you FFEs and BRs for all the support needed to convince the admin for this big move.

"Mature content" (which means PG-13 according to one moderator) was always allowed. That's why there is a Mature check box. What you are getting now is official permission for the explicit content (R-rated) and obscene content (X-rated) that members were already openly sharing. Authors were telling you about their R-rated and X-rated stories through Book Cover requests, and they got their covers, no questions asked.

Regarding Swetha-Sai's concern that children (imagine an eleven-year-old wanting to know what friends are reading) could just lie about their age to read BDSM etc. on India Forums, and vijay's response that leaving age verification up to the discretion of children (as if they grasp the consequences) is a "reasonable barrier" ...

Originally posted by vijay

If someone have a better suggestion please provide as we can always explore those.

My suggestion is that X-rated content and sexual-violence-written-as-romance should be prohibited so that there would be no question of India Forums becoming known as the place where minors easily find filth. Of course, this is the current "family-friendly site" policy that wasn't enforced when moderators and their cronies ran afoul of it. Have you modelled how much traffic you would lose if you got rid of the filth that is currently readable on India Forums?

Not having a report button is a problem, but moderators making up reasons to ignore violations (e.g. Koeli saying to me in a PM dated 21 March 2022, "we are not going to take any action as of now because it is migrated for an award") is the real problem. Until you have one consistent policy, until your moderators are trained to follow that policy, and until your moderators are held accountable for enabling violations of your policy, common-sense buttons will not help you.

If you decide to have a ratings system, I hope you'll clearly define the type of content that requires each age-restriction, and these definitions will be visible to authors while they are selecting a rating for their story. You will also need to decide what moderators should do about incorrect ratings. Hide the story? Punish the author? Quietly fix the rating? Or shrug it off: "If someone wants to cheat the system it is on them and not on us."

Could you make Likes in the Fan Fiction section similar to reactions on posts in a forum, so that I can tell which member gave which type of Like?

When I get a notification that someone left a Like, all I see at the bottom of the chapter is how many of each type of Like so far. I have to guess whether the notification is for an AWESOME! or a FAIL or whatever.

Also, when reactions are migrated, even if they start out as Angry or sarcastic Haha, they all turn into the AWESOME! type of Like. Could you possibly match reactions to Like types during migration?

Originally posted by BrhannadaArmour

"Mature content" (which means PG-13 according to one moderator) was always allowed. That's why there is a Mature check box. What you are getting now is official permission for the explicit content (R-rated) and obscene content (X-rated) that members were already openly sharing. Authors were telling you about their R-rated and X-rated stories through Book Cover requests, and they got their covers, no questions asked.

Regarding Swetha-Sai's concern that children (imagine an eleven-year-old wanting to know what friends are reading) could just lie about their age to read BDSM etc. on India Forums, and vijay's response that leaving age verification up to the discretion of children (as if they grasp the consequences) is a "reasonable barrier" ...

My suggestion is that X-rated content and sexual-violence-written-as-romance should be prohibited so that there would be no question of India Forums becoming known as the place where minors easily find filth. Of course, this is the current "family-friendly site" policy that wasn't enforced when moderators and their cronies ran afoul of it. Have you modelled how much traffic you would lose if you got rid of the filth that is currently readable on India Forums?

Not having a report button is a problem, but moderators making up reasons to ignore violations (e.g. Koeli saying to me in a PM dated 21 March 2022, "we are not going to take any action as of now because it is migrated for an award") is the real problem. Until you have one consistent policy, until your moderators are trained to follow that policy, and until your moderators are held accountable for enabling violations of your policy, common-sense buttons will not help you.

If you decide to have a ratings system, I hope you'll clearly define the type of content that requires each age-restriction, and these definitions will be visible to authors while they are selecting a rating for their story. You will also need to decide what moderators should do about incorrect ratings. Hide the story? Punish the author? Quietly fix the rating? Or shrug it off: "If someone wants to cheat the system it is on them and not on us."

Why don't you wait till the whole thing is implemented instead of questioning the same thing every time? You need to understand that the site is going through major changes and obviously a lot of things are taken into account before deciding many things. This is high time you know that you need to pm the GM or Admin if you have any issues regarding moderation instead of posting openly on the site. Regarding mature content, I am sure the admin and others have considered/considered all pros and cons. As Vijay said it is not on the site if someone forges their age to read or watch something. There are many other websites that allow mature content I personally don't think there is anything wrong in that. If someone doesn't want to read that it's up to them. And if someone is eligible and willing to read why will they be deprived of that? Fan Fiction is meant to entertain people and by restricting authors we will be losing out on many amazing creativity. Our work is to post warnings before they can enter to read any mature content stuff. Mature content stories are globally accepted and it is wrong to take away that leverage from the authors of India Forums. Regarding the restrictions and "family-friendly site" concern, you will get to know soon the dos and don'ts once the whole thing is processed but for that, I would suggest you please wait for some more time.

Someone who wrote, "I appreciate that India forums have always stood by what their members want," might understand that I am a member too.

The majority of members were allowed no input during your 3+ months of internal discussion. I inferred from your PMs that retroactive permission for R-rated and X-rated content and even sexual violence written as romance was coming, but I didn't announce it and start a discussion. I only gave feedback on current problems in the Site Updates and Issues Discussion threads. This topic is the place to give feedback on an announced change/problem. If I choose to visit the site after the change/problem goes into effect, I may "question the same thing every time" as long as it interferes with my enjoyment of the site.

At this point, I have concerns, and although you may have thought of them already, not sharing them would be negligent on my part.

Stories that trivialize non-consent should never go unchallenged. A ratings system will not absolve India Forums for allowing irresponsible writing about sexual violence. "When Sogolon woke up, she was already a wife" is a G-rated sentence that portrays rape positively. Anything like this in a story, regardless of rating, should be reportable and removable.

When there will be explicit (R-rated) and obscene/exploitative (X-rated) content in the Fan Fiction section, it follows that equivalent topics will appear in the forum. Even without the suggested feature that every Fan Fiction book should automatically get a synchronized forum topic, authors will start R-rated/X-rated stories as topics or create announcement/discussion topics for them. The "amazing creativity" of members who can repurpose one sex slave rehabilitation story 8+ times verbatim with different character names (RiAnsh; ArShi; ArDhika; FSOG; ViDha; IshKara; RaghVi; D3) will ensure that their favourite fictions crowd the first page or several pages of any forum.

Will forum topics still have only the Mature Post hiding option and the ineffective Mature Topic marker? (The author of the abovementioned sex slave rehabilitation stories uses neither, but there's still hope for future Jodha-Akbar and Rฤdhฤ-Kแน›แนฃแน‡a iterations.) No new ratings system for the forum has been announced. So, a member who identifies as over 18 could click a topic marked Mature or a post hidden as Mature, expecting something R-rated, and find X-rated content intended for those over 21. And members who identify as over 13 will wonder why they can read a Mature book in the Fan Fiction section, but can't read a discussion of it in the forum. Essentially, temptation for young members to lie about their age will be built into the structure of the site.

Even if the forum eventually gets the same ratings and age restrictions as the Fan Fiction section, will younger members see a first page filled with topics that they can't enter? Again, that's a built-in temptation. Or, is there a plan to hide age-inappropriate topics so that younger members feel welcomed and engaged? What would non-members and logged-out members see while browsing a forum?

While books in the Fan Fiction section aren't supposed to be tagged with real persons' names, will forum topics that are fiction still be tagged with the names of non-consenting actors? Will anyone looking at an actor's page for interviews and articles have to scroll past stories with suggestive names, tagged "X-rated" etc.?

The announcement that uploading of images will be easier implies that more stories will include images within the text. What sort of images are expected to be uploaded into X-rated books? Will images from actors' personal lives be allowed?

When India Forums becomes an admitted provider of X-rated writing, will it also offer a forum to discuss X-rated videos? Or celebrity pages for X-rated performers? With your support, anything can become "globally accepted."

India Forums is careful not to hurt mythological characters who may be totally imaginary. Your members are real and living people, including children and survivors of sexual violence. Please err on the side of caution.