Posted: 1 years ago

Rekha's umrao jaan is a classic, the music was amazing. It is an art film, so slow, sad if one is not use to that genre but authentic as it is directed by Muzaffar ali who hails from Lucknow and recreated that era poetically.

Fun fact it won national awards for Rekha and Asha Bhonsle but Rekha's award was controversial as Jennifer kendall Kapoor , Shashi kapoor's wife was widely expected to win for 36 Chowringhee lane, This is a beautiful, touching movie about an Anglo Indian spinster in the days when British had left and the few anglo indians were  left neither here nor there , directed by Aparna Sen (konkona's mom).

The new version is very badly made and aishwarya's performance is not a patch on Rekha's.  

and both abhisheka and sunil shetty were miscast, who casts Sunil in a Lucknowi nawab role 😃

Edited by vcs17 - 1 years ago

Originally posted by WhiteNights.

Pinjar could give Umrao Jaan a tough competition in showcasing miserable life of the female lead 

A beautiful movie overall though.

And yes Umrao Jaan 2006 was good too. I loved Aish in it.

I might be in the minority but I am not very fond of Rekha and I find her boring. Never really watched the original one though songs are amazing.

I’ve watched Pinjar and it was horrific. Cried so much when her family rejected her. The only comforting thought was that her husband loved her and most likely treated her well despite their circumstances. Umrao’s life from start to end was miserable though. Sold to a brothel as a child, growing up to find some love but getting abandoned. Family rejects her when she finds her way back home. Goes back to the brothel and gets raped. Movie ends with her being alone and depressed. The fcuk. 😐😭 

You’re not a minority. I’m actually not fond of any actress from that era. I tried watching the original but almost fell into an open mouthed coma. 

Biggest Disaster