mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 2 years ago

Many people felt that Vikram loved Amrita and slapped her in the heat of the moment, and it was not an unforgivable sin.

Others felt Amrita left Vikram not just because of the slap, but there were hidden, deeper meanings associated with the slap which woke her up from her slumber of complicity with patriarchy.

What is your view and did you like the movie?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

loginidran thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: mintyblue

Many people felt that Vikram loved Amrita and slapped her in the heat of the moment, and it was not an unforgivable sin.

Others felt Amrita left Vikram not just because of the slap, but there were hidden, deeper meanings associated with the slap which woke her up from her slumber of complicity with patriarchy.

I loved the movie.

@Bold: Would he slap his mom or dad in such a heat of the moment? He wouldn't, no matter what!  

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
This content was originally posted by: catchmeifucan

I loved the movie.

@Bold: Would he slap his mom or dad in such a heat of the moment? He wouldn't, no matter what!  

Exactly. Because he's conditioned to respect them. But he's not conditioned in the same way to respect his wife.

And it's not just him, but so many men who have the same problem.

That slap was the trigger for Amrita and made her wake up to all that was problematic in her life.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

I never saw the movie but if Amrita forgives Vikram thats their business

Kyahikahoon thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 15 Thumbnail + 3

This content was originally posted by: mintyblue

I felt this..it was one physical thapped but even before that there were numerous things that troubled her..many such thappads on her soul.

Good movie

nema123 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Very good movie..she was taken for granted..

Nice girls gets  corner office…. She woke up and showed that it is not okay to insult her.

liberiangirl thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

I loved the movie!

This dialogue pretty much sums up why a single thappad changed things for her

"pata hai uss thappad se kya hua?  Uss ek thappad se na, mujhe woh saari unfair cheeze saaf saaf dikhne lag gayi jisko mein undekha karke move on karti ja rahi thi"

FilmiDhun thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

I loved the movie. Before watching it I expected the film to be overly preachy with loud monologues. But I was positively surprised by the nuanced way in which the makers depicted how women are taken for granted in their roles as mothers, wives and daughters.

Taapsee who gets criticized for her similar Delhi accent wali acting is refreshingly muted yet resilient in her portrayal of Amu- her best work till date IMO. 

The ending scene had me in tears with the two cars leaving in different directions from the family court and the ex-spouses breaking down as they separate 😭

However, I do have a criticism for the film. They marketed it as if it was just a slap that resulted in the divorce and Amu falling out of love with her husband. However, it is made clear in the story that her relationship with her husband was never one of equality. She is always shown taking care of her husband and his family, while he paid her little attention as was most of the time engrossed in his own career. The slap only acted like a wake-up call for Amu to acknowledge everything that was wrong with the relationship. So it was not "just a slap". 

Tetul thumbnail

Maybe Tulsi Virani's family members did. 

Moodyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

It is a very good movie, it is not just about a thappad but the things that led to that. He clearly didn't respect his wife as an individual !