Undecided. | (The Heart and the Mind...rewritten) - Page 4

Posted: 1 years ago

Undecided

Chapter 4

The drive to Zoya's place was uncomfortably quiet. Zoya's knuckles had turned white from gripping the steering wheel so hard. She was fuming at Anwar. She knew he had done this on purpose. Sameer was sitting next to her in the passenger seat, his eyes darting comically between her and Anwar. 

Asad was beside Anwar in the backseat, behind Sameer. He felt like he was the cause of this awkward situation, so he stayed as silent as humanly possible. Sameer took a dig and decided to break the silence.

"So...do we stop for-"

"Shut up." Zoya mumbled dangerously, everyone was looking at her with fear, fearing for their life at this point. She looked like she might crash the car into a wall at any given moment, but thankfully she didn't. They reached where she lived and loaded the bags out, the tension was still tight.

"I'll go open the door for you guys." Zoya said and scurried away into the elevator before Anwar or Sameer could get a word in. They looked at each other and shook their heads. 

After Anwar and Sameer almost forcibly helped Asad bring his luggage into Zoya's apartment, they both left, grinning at each other.

Asad and Zoya were left alone, in silence, staring into the floor. Asad hadn't really liked the idea of having two people help him with literally only two bags, he liked doing his own things, and felt a bit guilty watching Anwar carry his luggage for him. He was too insistent. Sameer, he didn't really care. Zoya seemed nervous, he observed. Her gaze finally met his.

"The guest room's over there, do you need any help to..." Zoya trailed off, pointing towards the guest room door which was next to the kitchen  and bang opposite her room. 

"Oh, no I'll be fine. Um, goodnight, then?" Asad said politely. Zoya almost smiled.

"Okay, goodnight."

---

It was almost midnight now. Faint noises of traffic we're heard from the city. The buzz was broken by the clicking of a keyboard. She could hear him. Zoya could hear him work on his laptop from her room. Sleep had decided to evade her, and him too, apparently. Zoya lay still on her soft mattress, staring at the ceiling. She couldn't believe he was in her house, her living room. And that they were alone, with no one to disturb their moments. Zoya closed her eyes to relax herself as her heartbeat grew faster. 

There were two abrupt knocks on her door. She answered quickly, "C-come in." And he walked in. She slowly stood up off her bed, her mouth went dry. He was too beautiful. An array of odd rays of faint golden light from the city fell on him. He actually looked unreal. The casual white shirt he was wearing, even though it was fairly loose, managed to accentuate his body. The low v-neck scandalously revealing just a small part of his chest, Zoya could only imagine what it might actually look like. His strong forearms didn't escape her eyes. One hand was in his pocket while the other rested on the doorframe, supporting him. Her cheeks warmed. She couldn't understand how he had managed to carve a place for himself in her heart. She never, agreed with him, never listened to him and he did the same. How?! His hair fell onto his forehead, she looked at it and noticed his gaze towards her. 

It made her breath hitch. It was nothing like how he'd looked at her when he'd come over to apologise. No, this was much more intense. It was like a fire was burning in his eyes. Not like when one gets angry though, this seemed like a different fire than she was used to. It was attractive, it pulled her in. It made her feel all hot inside, it doubled her heartbeat. "Yes, Mr Khan?" She managed to ask without stuttering. "Is there something you want?"

Her breaths shivered when she saw him slowly stride close to her. "Yes." He said huskily, his voice almost a growl. He was too close. His breath tickled the top of her nose. She dared to look into his eyes again. He moved closer, and ever so gently cupped her face, stroking her pink cheek with the pad of his thumb. She tried saying something but words couldn't make their way out. His thumb moved to her lips. "You." He whispered and he leaned closer, his lips inches from hers, their breaths we're mingling deliciously, he parted his lips-

Growwwlll.

Zoya's eyes snapped open. She sat up like a bolt of lightning had just hit her. She looked around her room frantically, no one was there. What in the hell kind of dream was THAT?! She covered her gaping mouth with her hand. She clutched her hair and shook her head. What was wrong with her?! Why did she just have a dream about Asad Ahmed Khan kissing her?! I've got to cut down on the Wattpad.

Growwlll.

Right. Midnight cravings, here I come!

She cautiously headed out of her room,  the clicking of the keyboard had stopped. He must've gone to his room. Zoya let out a sigh of relief and stepped out of her room. I'm having to hide in my own house. Great. She was making her way across the living room when she saw him. Asad had fallen asleep on the sofa. His head leaning over the headrest and his hands draping over his thighs. 

Zoya sighed. This man, it was like he was tempting her to forgive him with every single thing he did. She mentally slapped herself but made the mistake of glancing at him again. 

Well, I could get him a pillow and a blanket. That's the least I can do. Anyways if his neck keeps paining all day long he'll just become cranky and annoying, and I'll be the one to suffer.

She spotted a throw blanket lying on the ottoman. Rolling her eyes, she spread it out neatly and covered Asad with it, automatically tucking him in as well. Next, she took a pillow. Her hands softly lifted Asad's head and she slipped the pillow under it. Doing this, she hadn't realised how close their faces had come. 

The first thing she noticed was how pure he looked whilst sleeping. His thick lashes laying on the top of his well carved cheek. His lips had naturally parted because of the position of his head. His breathing sounded heavy and deep. 

Zoya! Kya kar rahi hai pagli?!

With a jolt she stood up straight and disappeared into the kitchen.

---

Asad's eyes droopily fluttered open. He yawned and rubbed them, still getting used to his surroundings. First, he still hadn't overcome his terrible jetlag. Second, he was in Zoya's house. He found himself comfortably tucked in on the sofa with a warm throw blanket and a pillow under his head. I must've fallen asleep while I was working. Did Zoya give me these? A small smile formed on his face at the idea. His laptop lay in front of him, it was still on standby so it confirmed this idea. Asad's eyes automatically started searching for her, when he noticed a paper note lying beside his laptop. He furrowed his brows and opened the neatly folded paper.

Good morning Mr Khan :)

There are waffles kept for you in the fridge, make sure you warm them up and eat them! Breakfast is an important meal!

P.S: Don't worry about work today, I've informed Sam about your jetlag, so feel free to rest up and join work feeling fresh tomorrow! :D

A chuckle escaped his lips. He couldn't help it. This small gesture gave him a huge amount of hope and joy that was irreversible. It meant that there was still a chance for him to earn forgiveness from her, to make up for his mistakes. She'd just got him a day off because of jetlag. She cared. And it made his heart flutter. He sighed and fell back on the sofa, covering his warming face with his large hand. A smile was gracing his lips and his breathing was shallow. How could anyone not love you?

---

The sun was low, making the sky glow different shades of pink and golden. Zoya couldn't help but gaze at the sky whilst walking back home. She sighed. Asad was at home, probably waiting for her. Probably not. 

Either way she was going to have to face him, every day for two months. Her legs tiredly carried her upto the elevator, to her front door. She fumbled with her keys and cautiously entered her own house. She was expecting Asad to be on the sofa, drowned in his work. But her expectations were wronged, he was nowhere to be seen.

"Mr Khan?" She tried calling out, no answer. "Mr Khan, are you there?" No response again. Zoya shrugged and started freshening up, concluding he'd gone out. Smiling, she took a nice, long and relaxing warm shower, changing into her shorts and a light hoodie after. There was mac'n'cheese bubbling on the stove, and Friends playing on the tv. The perfect way to end the day! Zoya stretched and was just about to serve herself the appetizing macaroni, when the doorbell rang. Great.

"Hey." She greeted, opening the door and almost having a heart attack. Asad was in a black hoodie and gym shorts. That wasn't even the best part. The best part was that his hoodie was zipped only halfway up, sneakily revealing his toned chest. Allah Miyah why did you make this man the way you did? Zoya felt butterflies in her stomach, a familiar feeling whenever he was around. "I-I've made mac'n'cheese, I'll serve it and...you can freshen up till then." She managed to say. Asad nodded meekly.

He was in no less of a dilemma. He had noticed the blush on her cheeks, and couldn't keep his eyes off her. The damp, messy hair. Her hooded doe eyes, and those petal lips. She was biting her lower lip the entire time and it drove him crazy. The entire day, he'd been thinking about her. She wasn't leaving his mind alone. And now that she was in front of him, biting her lower lip like that, the only thing going through his mind was how it would be to put his lips against hers. "I'm gonna go take a shower." He said softly, Zoya nodded in response and flitted into the kitchen. Asad walked towards the bathroom and let out the breath he was holding. 

---

Zoya served another bowl of mac'n'cheese in a daze. Her heart just wasn't calming down! The whole time, she could hear the shower running, and jolted when she noticed it had stopped. A soft rustling sound was heard a few moments later, and finally, the click of an opening door. 

She felt his presence behind her, with a flurry of butterflies in her stomach. She kept the bowl on the countertop and turned around quickly. "Mr Khan, I-" She started but bumped into his sturdy chest. She hadn't realised how close he'd actually been standing.

Asad stumbled back and his hand wrapped around her waist to keep her up. "S-sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"It's okay, Mr Khan." Zoya breathed, trying not to look into his because if she did, she knew she would snap. He was fresh out of the shower, his hands felt deliciously cold around her waist, and worst of all, he smelled heavenly. "Um," she mumbled and tried moving away from him, but to her surprise, his hold on her wouldn't budge. She looked at his face in confusion, and her gaze softened immediately.

Asad's breaths were shaky, but slow and deep. Their hearts thudded against each other. His eyes bore deep into hers, reminding Zoya of the same feelings from Bhopal. Almost as if it was natural, Asad's other hand cupped her soft face. He stroked her peachy cheek and relished the feeling, so this was what he had longed for. It felt phenomenal, dreamlike. He couldn't believe he had the guts to do what he was doing right now. If only he'd done this sooner. "Zoya." He sighed in a low voice. Their faces, inches apart. 

Ding dong!

Yeah. Sorry, LOL! Hope you guys liked this one, apologies for the time I took to update. I really really want this story to be a delight to read, for you guys and for myself because believe it or not I cringe so hard reading my own stories most of the time😭

Love y'all! 💕

Edited by dreamxr - 1 years ago

I lovvveeeed it. This story keeps getting better and better by each update. All the wait was worth it. 

Yikkkesss Asad and Zoya and the obvious tension.

The car scene was really funny I could imagine Zoya being all fire breathing 🐲

Pls do not get concious as all your stories are delight to read (Ima not kidding) I've read and re read them many times. Also I hope you're well.

Cannot wait for the next part🙂

Ohhhhh I can’t believe you stopped there!!!

I love this version of your story and Asya! They are perfection and dreamy…..

I cannot get enough of them! I want a full on heart to heart and deep and meaningful conversation between them before they share any kisses…..pretty please…??? 😊

Why did you stop there!!!!

I am so loving this... the feelings, tension, dreams , emotions and all of that..

Can't wait to read more 

An awe-some chapter yet again. Liked how the story is progressing smoothly. waiting for the next chapter 💕

I hope your health is good now. take care <3

Heyya people. I know it's been a long long loooonnggg time since I last updated ANY of my stories, and I most sincerely apologise. I've been having a hard time sorting myself out lately, and I basically just lost all motivation and inspiration to write. I have written whatever I could in the last few days, and it is halfway through. I will post an update soonish :) 

Love you guys 💖

Undecided

Chapter 5

The clueless couple jumped apart and looked everywhere except at each other.

"I-I'll get the door." Zoya awkwardly mumbled and jogged over to the door. 

"Sup! Just came by to drop off your laptop. Thanks for lending it to me for today, by the way." A familiar voice floated into the house, a voice which mildly ticked Asad off.

"No worries, Sam. You can borrow it whenever you like." Zoya replied sweetly. A soft chuckle was heard from Sameer. Asad clenched his jaw.

"Okay then, I'll be going now!" Sameer could see Asad from the corner of his eye, and decided to poke the lion. He gave Zoya a big bear hug, which she laughingly reciprocated. "Bye!" He chimed and went his way.

Zoya came back into the kitchen after placing her laptop on the sofa, still smiling to herself. Her glance fell on the macaroni sitting on the kitchen top and she gasped. "Oh, right!" She mumbled and quickly finished serving Asad's bowl.

Asad nodded and accepted his bowl, with the smallest smile gracing his face.

Dinner was awkward. With Zoya completely invested in the sitcom playing on TV, and Asad clearly not getting the hype. They stole glances at each other and ate in silence, although Zoya occasionally giggled. Both of them realised that the pasta in their bowls was over a while ago.

Zoya smiled at Asad and picked up their bowls. "Would you like some coffee?" She asked before she could stop herself. Asad looked mildly surprised, and nodded happily.

Zoya came back from the kitchen after a while, holding two steaming cups of coffee. A long, sharp silence followed. Just their soft sipping of their respective coffees was heard.

"Zoya, I-"

"Mr Khan, I've come to a decision." Zoya suddenly interrupted. Asad looked at her with brightened eyes. She almost smiled at the cute expression his face had on. Tch, focus! She cleared her throat. "I think, it would be best to leave what happened between us behind. I, haven't exactly forgiven you, I don't think I can, honestly. But I do want to have a relationship with you." The words tumbled out, and she hadn't realised what she had just said. 

Asad, who had been looking at the floor in guilt, instantly felt his heart flutter and his head shot up to look at Zoya. "You, what?" Were the only words he could coherently say at that moment.

Zoya suddenly realised the depth of what she had said. "I-I mean, not- not that way. What I meant is, I'd like to keep my relations with you healthy. Like, friends or something!" She quickly corrected. 

"Ah, okay. Thank you so much, Zoya. I'll do my best." Asad said sincerely and his eyes just locked with Zoya's. 

What he couldn't say, his eyes portrayed and Zoya understood everything. The gratefulness he felt towards her, the guilt, almost all of it. There was still something she couldn't put her finger on. An unknown emotion, a soft, burning gaze she had seen during many instances. The same gaze he wore in her dream. She lost herself in him, and the empty coffee cups lay forgotten.

"Well then, goodnight." Zoya mumbled and tried hurrying to her room. A hand caught her wrist. Butterflies. This man gave her the worst case of butterflies in her stomach and she hated him for it. She slowly faced him again.

"I like you."

---

"Shit." Zoya muttered for the umpteenth time that day. The bittersweet happenings of last night kept echoing in her head. She wanted to say, 'I like you too', but couldn't. Or didn't. Because she couldn't comprehend the situation she was in.

"I don't know when it started. Maybe it was at first sight, or from...the incident at Mangalpur. But there's one thing I know for sure, I like you, Zoya. When you left, I-I couldn't think straight. I couldn't tell if I was angry at you for leaving or-"

"Mr Khan, you already-"

"Please, let me speak this time. I don't think I'll have the chance or the courage to do this again. As you have have clearly stated so many times, I am an akdu person." A small giggle from Zoya was heard. "I have problems expressing myself, so please, while I still have the courage, hear me out. I've realised I like you, and after what I did to you, I don't expect you to like me back. Just, don't hate me. 

Be present in my life, talk to me, be with me. I know we had our share of fights, some of them I'll never forgive myself for, but I'm tired of pushing you away. I've regretted, pushing you away." Asad sighed into his hands. "Please. I'm so sorry." He whimpered weakly which made Zoya gently pull away his hands from his face. She gasped when she saw tears trailing down his cheeks.

"Can I hold you?" Zoya almost whispered. She wanted to hug him tight at this moment. Asad nodded as a response and she threw her arms around him. She had to go on her tiptoes in order for her arms to actually go around his shoulders. Asad let out a soundless cry and wrapped his arms around her too, burying his face in her soft shoulder. 

He cried in her arms. He had torn down the cold walls that he'd built around his heart, just to get to her. To let her know how much she meant to him. He had been fool enough to ignore his feelings after finding out how much he cared about her in Mangalpur, but no more. He wasn't willing to let her go this time.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry..." He kept muttering into her shoulder.

"Damn it." Zoya muttered again and slammed down the pen she was calculating with. Her glance went to the cabin bang in front of her, Asad's cabin. He looked so different at work. She couldn't believe that those same intense, focused eyes held tears yesterday night. Tears for her. 

An employee which was in his cabin left after handing him a thick file. She saw him sigh and run his hands through his hair, then he leaned back into his chair and loosened his tie a bit.

Zoya felt her cheeks warming up. That simple action suddenly seemed so sexy. She shook her head and tried focusing on her work, but her eyes strayed back to that darned cabin.

Did they HAVE to make glass walls?

He was standing next to his chair now, rapidly writing something on a notepad. He rested the pen and shrugged his coat off. Zoya was gone. This was it, there was no way she could stop staring now. Asad placed the coat on the back of his chair, undid the cuffs of his shirt and rolled the sleeves up.

PLEASE IT'S NOT LIKE THIS IS A STRIPTEASE.

Zoya could've screamed. She was literally fangirling over Asad Ahmed Khan. The voice in her head jerked her back into reality, and she looked at her computer, which had gone into standby mode by now. As she decided to steal one last glance at him, she found herself looking into his eyes. Oh god, don't tell me he caught me staring at him. That would be embarrassing. She flickered a smile at him and went back to work.

---

It was the end of the day. Employees were making their way home, and the building lights slowly dimmed as each department got emptier. Asad could still see Zoya in her cabin. He was surprised to see her wearing a pair of thin rimmed glasses. She looked cute.

Without thinking, he began staring at her. Taking in every little movement she made. Clearly she was sleepy, her droopy eyes gave it away. Her brows furrowed, and she furiously typed on her keyboard before a satisfactory smile graced her face. That smile, it always managed to take Asad's breath away. 

Zoya opened a file and began checking it, keeping a pen between her teeth. Asad's breath hitched. Those lips, that mouth, it had given him sleepless nights, even more so since he had started living with her. He could only imagine what it would feel like to kiss it, taste it...

"Zoe!" A faint voice from behind the glass broke Asad's trance. Sameer was checking in on Zoya. She smiled at him and beckoned him to come over to check her work. He stood behind her, with one hand around her shoulders and his chin almost resting on one of them. A moment later, Sam have her a light hug and a high five, then left. 

Asad grimaced and directed his attention back to the file on his laptop, when a soft knock on his cabin door distracted him again. His heart leaped, it was Zoya.

"Hey", she greeted, leaning her head in from the door, "actually, I have to go out with Sam and Alex for a bit. I will be a bit late, so I'm leaving the house keys here for you." She placed the keys on the small sofa across his desk, smiled and left. Only to peep in once more, "oh right, you'll have to take an Uber or catch a Taxi, so I've texted you my address to help. Alright, bye! And get home safe okay?" She rambled and left before Asad could even nod.

"Thanks." Asad muttered to himself.

---

"HAPPY BIRTHDAYYY!!" Zoya squealed loudly as hugged her other best friend, Alex, tightly. "What're we doing tonight?" She asked playfully shimmying her shoulders.

"Well it's my birthday so, nothing other than PARTAY!" Alex answered gleefully. "Hey where's Sam?"

"Ooh, got a certain something in mind for a birthday present tonight have we?" Zoya teased. "He's parking, he should be here in a-"

"SUP LADIES!" Sameer yelled from behind Alex, making her jump and tumble into Zoya, who yelped and laughed. Sameer rolled his eyes. "How do you both manage to act drunk even when you're not?"

"Yet!" Alex smirked and winked at Sam.

"Whoa whoa hold your horses! I can't today." Zoya smiled sheepishly. "To be more precise, I can't until Mr Akdu decides to move his fine ass out." She groaned.

"Wait. Mr who? Fill me in if you please?" Said Alex, wheeling them into their usual hangout. "Take your seats, I'll order us something. My treat! But first, tell me everything about this 'Mr'...what was it? Akdu?" She rested her chin on her hand and grinned at Zoya.

"Yes, Akdu." Zoya snapped, before continuing her recitation of how much of a jerk he was. 

"...and now, Jeeju thought he could play cupid and told him to stay with me! So he's staying at my place for like- two whole months!" She explained, flailing her hands around.

"Geez you really need a drink honey." Alex mumbled. She'd already had four shots and two pegs. One could say her tolerance was fairly good. But she knew Zoya's tolerance, it was her goal to beat. Zoya could really handle her alcohol. "C'mon, take one on me! Please? It's my birfdayyy!"

Zoya bit her lip. "Okay, fine. But don't let me get drunk! He might just murder me in my bed."

---

Asad was getting restless. He arrived home at 5:30. He freshened up and decided to hit a local gym. He worked out hard, for two whole hours, before returning back to the apartment. 

Well, she did say she'd be late. But I can't help worrying...

Asad sighed. He took a warm shower before settling down on the sofa with his laptop, hoping that working might distract him and keep him calm. A few more hours passed. Still no news from Zoya. It was 11:00 o'clock now, and Asad got even more worried than he already was. Should I call her? His hands automatically lifted his phone. To his surprise, it rang before he could dial her number.

"Zoya?"

"Hey, Sameer here. Umm, could you...come pick Zoya up?" Sameer asked nervously from the other side.

"Why? What happened?!" Asad panicked.

"Uhh..."

---

"Hey! You! Come back here! Just stay here until Asad arrives okay? He's on his way."

Zoya whirled around. "He's coming? Yaaaaayyy!" She danced, flailing her hands around and bumped into Alex.

"Hey! Watch it." She grumbled. Sameer cursed at the sky and scooped Alex up on his shoulder. "What the- lemme goooo!" She slurred and tried hitting him with her fists, Sameer only held her tighter and rolled his eyes, smiling to himself.

"Alex, babe you're drunk. We need to get you home before you end up doing something stupid like last time." He chuckled and mumbled a "oh thank god!" as he saw Asad pull up in front of him in a taxi. "Hi! Sorry, I had no other option but to call you up." He groaned as Alex kneed him in his stomach. Asad cringed, that must've hurt.

"No problem, how's Zoya?" He sighed, promptly understanding the situation. 

"Mr Khaaaaan!" A jolly cry was heard from behind him. "It's really you!" She mumbled as she got closer to him and threw her arms around him. Asad, surprised by the sudden hug, stumbled back a couple steps. "I misshhhed you." She pouted and mumbled into his chest. Asad's ears turned red.

"U-um. Let's go home." He pried her away from himself and held her at an arms length by her shoulders. She seemed to have trouble standing. "Geez, how much did she drink?" Asked Asad.

"Wayyy more than she's used to, that's for sure. Mind you, she can handle her alcohol well, but I don't know what happened today." Sameer said, disheartened. "I'll book an Uber for you guys. It's pretty late."

"Thanks." Asad smiled.

Heyy. So so soo sorry for the horrendously late update! Hope you guys haven't forgotten me ;)

Love ya! 

PS: If you want to be tagged/notified about a new chapter, please buddy me! That makes it easier for me to let you guys know about the chapter. 💖

Edited by dreamxr - 1 years ago

Hey there!

Yay so happy to see an update here! And I lovedddd it for so manyy reasons! Zoya taking the initiative to mend their relation didn't surprise me really. That woman has some big heart to let the man who hurt her terribly stay with her under the same roof! Especially when you know you're in love with the guy, that does seem like a huge feat! ( one that lovers do end up doing anyway haha)

But but but I really, really liked Asad here! No trailing woh actuallys, no beating around the bush, no big fat egos, no sorrys that he'd just say to himself, no killing himself and her with everything unsaid...but an actual real apology! That too this soon without the dramatic wait for the words to form in his head and then an eternity for them to topple off his mouth! I'm impressed with this Asad! He actually let his emotions flow freely, let himself cry and also allowed himself to be held. Because he was truly sorry! Zoya ofcourse had to hug him! 

I'm quite excited to see what an intoxicated Zoya is going to do now when the two are already so hot and bothered by each other's mere presence! Haha! Update the next one sooon! I can't wait to read the next !

As always, lovely job with the writing! 

Edited by Wandering_mind - 1 years ago

Why there have to be only one like option!? The update was superb as usual...Asad apology....ufff I could literally picturize it. They hugged and he expressed his feelings without any inhibitions....OMG Zoya's drunk and Asya's unavoidable tension (I can only imagine scenarios now😉) ASAD DIDN'T JUDGE HER....LIKE WOWWW.

Don't make us wait for long, update it ASAP love

Fabulous update! Love this Asya! Wonder what will happen next…..Zoya is surely going to blurt some feelings out while intoxicated….