Our Nameless Story - AbDeep FF - Part III

Posted: 2 years ago

*Author's Note*

First of all, sorry about the wait guys. The last couple weeks of episodes have really soured my mood and not really inspired me to write AbDeep. But I've decided to continue as my own form of revenge against the makers. Every gross Vipika scene they've shoved down our throats, I'm going to turn around into an AbDeep scene, starting with the shirtless scene. đŸ˜ˆ Let's sail this ship on our own. đŸ‘đŸź

Part I

Part II

Edited by ShinyMishka - 2 years ago

Part III

Deepika put four slices of bread in the toaster and cracked eggs in a bowl to start preparing the omelets. Breakfast was usually a simple affair for her (admittedly, sometimes it only consisted of coffee and some biscuits), so she hoped this would suffice for her guests. 

Out of the corner of her eye she spotted one of said guests heading towards the door. 

“Abhay! Where are you going so early?” she called, “I didn’t think you were scheduled for an early shift today.” 

Abhay paused, “I left my bike at the hospital so I’m heading out early to catch the bus.” 

“Don’t be silly,” Deepika said in disbelief, “I’ll drop you.” Seeing Abhay’s reluctant expression, she raised an eyebrow, “What’s the matter? Is my driving so bad?” 

“No, it’s just… If people see us together there will be talk. You know how the hospital gossip is.” 

“Oh come on, I didn’t think you were one to worry about some silly gossip. Besides, I am your senior, what’s so unusual if I’m dropping you once? We’ve left together before, we can’t be seen coming together? There are many explanations for it. Besides, I need you here this morning.” 

“What for?”

“Well, for one, I made you this breakfast, and it would be rude not to eat it. And two, the temp aide will be here shortly, and you know your mother’s schedule and medicines better than anyone, so you should go over them with her.” 

“Oh, yeah that’s a good point.” Abhay set down his bag and came into the kitchen. “Do you need any help?” 

“Toast and omelets are about done. Is Aunty still sleeping?” 

“I’ll go wake her.” 

“I’ll get her, she’ll need help in the bathroom. Can you finish up the food and set the table?” 

Abhay nodded, and took over the task of breakfast while Deepika went to help Girija get ready. 

The three sat down to eat together. Deepika felt an odd bubbly feeling in her chest. Yesterday, for the first time in years, she hadn’t eaten dinner alone in her home, and now she was also eating breakfast with company. They had just finished with breakfast when the doorbell rang. 

“That’ll be the aide, I expect,” Deepika said, wiping her mouth and getting up to open the door. 

It was indeed the aide at the door. She was an experienced nursing assistant who quickly understood all the instructions. Abhay felt safe leaving Girija in her care. “Aai, don’t get any new ideas, ok,” he said softly, “Anything you need, just ask the aide.” 

Deepika and Abhay got in the jeep. The drive was only fifteen minutes, but the silence seemed to stretch the ride much longer. Deepika focused her eyes on the road and Abhay was staring out the window on the passenger side. Deepika groaned internally. What had happened suddenly between her and Abhay? Despite their initial rocky relationship, they had developed a good rapport over the last few weeks. She was closer to him than her other residents, this wasn’t really hidden to anyone. But ever since his engagement Abhay seemed to be a bit distant with her. Had she overstepped her bounds when she had expressed her surprise that he was getting engaged so soon instead of focusing on her career? 

“Do you mind if I play some music,” asked Deepika, attempting to lighten the atmosphere. 

Abhay nodded. Deepika turned on the radio and the melodious voices of Kishore Kumar and Lata Mangeshkar lilted through the speakers:

“Hum dono do premi duniya chod chale

Jivan ki hum saari rasmein tod chale”

Deepika couldn’t help but hum along. The classics just had a different vibe. “Aisa naa ho tu kabhi chod de mera saath,” she sang. 

“Phir na kabhi kehna dil todne waali baat.”

She looked over surprised. Abhay was grinning at her. 

They finished the last verse together: 

“Hum dono do premi duniya chod chale

Jivan ki hum saari rasmein tod chale”

“I didn’t think your generation listened to these types of songs,” Deepika said. 

“Evergreen songs never go out of style,” Abhay answered, “And you forget Deepika, you are of my generation.” 

She shrugged. “That’s technically true, but our experiences have been different enough to count as a generation gap.” 

Abhay made a noise of disagreement, “Maybe we can’t fully match our experiences, but our thinking is not so different is it? In those terms, age is just a number. There’s no gap between us.”

Deepika looked at Abhay amusedly. That was fine for him to say, he was still quite young. From her point of view, there was a lot of maturity difference. But she supposed it was better being thought of as one of the “cool kids” than an oldie!

FMS Hospital came into view. Deepika pulled into a parking spot and they entered together. Abhay seemed much more relaxed now, he made a light joke about the food at the canteen and Deepika laughed. 

“Abhay!” trilled a cheerful voice behind them. Abhay immediately took a step away from Deepika. She tried to not to let this irk her, but she couldn’t help but wonder why Abhay was acting this way. 

She turned around and as expected, Dr. Sia Advani, Abhay’s fiancee, was standing behind them.

“Good morning, Dr. Sinha,” Sia said as she looped her arm with Abhay’s. 

“Good morning Dr. Advani,” Deepika replied politely. “How are things going with your competition?”

“Great! Abhay and I are the best, I’m sure we will be in the finals. And then I will have to beat him.” 

“Excellent, keep up the spirit, I’ll see you.” 

They went their separate ways. Deepika changed into her scrubs and went into her cabin. She had only had a relatively minor gallbladder removal scheduled today. Thankfully, Vikrant wouldn’t be on it. Deepika grimaced thinking about how Vikrant had suddenly left the OT in the middle of major surgery without any explanation. What was his problem? Was he punishing her because she had rejected him? 

She finished her surgery, and was on her way to the emergency ward when she ran into the person she least wanted to see. “Dr. Saxena,” she addressed coldly.

“Deepika, did you hear that I’m performing surgery on the conjoined twins? Did you want to come watch?” Vikrant asked smugly.

“Yes, I’ve heard about it, but I’ll keep watch on the ER instead. There should be a senior there until you’ve appointed a proxy leader.” 

“Ok,” said Vikrant shrugging, “a surgery like this will be recorded anyway, you can watch and take notes in your free time.” 

Deepika gave him a sarcastic smile, and rolled her eyes as he left. Vikrant was a talented surgeon no doubt, but his arrogance was very off-putting. 

She came into the ER to find a concerned looking Abhay. 

“Deepika, I’m glad you’re here. I was just coming into your cabin to find you.”

“What’s the matter Abhay? You look troubled.”

“I was checking on the post-op patients. One was in a great deal of pain so I went to get some fentanyl from the storage. But strangely, all vials of opioids were gone. The accountant said that he had ordered a full stock only three days ago. He ordered more from the pharmacy, but I can’t help but think it’s odd. I think someone may be stealing drugs.” 

“Hm, it’s possible… There’s stories coming out all the time about doctors or other hospital staff stealing drugs. Can you think of anyone that’s been acting strange?” 

Before Abhay could answer, they were alerted by the shout of “Doctors!”. They turned to see a gurney wheeled in upon which was a man in his sixties. 

“Neighbors called an ambulance when they found him unresponsive on the floor,” the nurse recited, “Sixty-six year old male, name is–”

“Oscar Dante,” Deepika blurted. 

Abhay looked at her surprised, “Do you know this man, Dr. Sinha?” 

“Not personally,” she replied, “Get him on the bed.” 

Oscar Dante was lifted to the hospital bed and Deepika checked his heartbeat and blood pressure.  “BP is low”, she stated. Dante was quickly hooked up to an IV saline solution as Deepika ordered blood tests. 

As they waited on the tests, the patient began to wake. 

“Mr. Dante?” Deepika asked gently, “How are you feeling?”

“Uh, where am I?” Dante looked around confusedly. He had silver curls and a short mustache and beard. He blinked owlishly, with pale blue eyes. “My glasses?” he inquired. 

“Here,” Deepika grabbed a plastic bag in which his personal belongings were stored and pulled out a pair of round gold rimmed glasses. Dante put them on, and immediately his demeanor changed from confused to distinguished.

“Ah, that’s better,” Mr. Dante said, “Now, unless I’m having a hallucination, this is a hospital and you are doctors.” 

“Correct, can you just answer some questions for me Mr. Dante? You’ve fainted, I need to check your cognition.” Deepika asked some basic questions which the patient answered with ease. The blood results came back, which were inconclusive. 

“I’m not sure what exactly is wrong, Mr. Dante. I’ve gone over your medical history, but there’s nothing to clearly explain your fainting spell. We need to keep you overnight, for observation.” 

“Doctor please, it’s no big deal. I was simply tired. I didn’t sleep well so I became dizzy and fainted. It’s just fatigue and stress from focusing on my writing,” Mr. Dante cajoled.

“You’ve been writing?” Deepika asked excitedly. Abhay raised an eyebrow at her. He had never heard such a tone from Deepika before. 

Mr. Dante smiled. “Yes, my new novel. Do I sense a fan?” 

Deepika tucked her hands in her pockets shyly. “Actually… yes. I recognized you right away.” 

“In that case, can you also give me a proper introduction?” Abhay interjected. 

“Dr. Sathe, Oscar Dante is one of the most respected names in Indian gothic literature. I’ve read all his works. I can’t believe I’m actually meeting him in person!” 

Abhay hid a laugh. Deepika was legitimately fangirling. He had never even heard of Oscar Dante or his works. Granted, he didn’t read much outside of medical textbooks. 

“That is… unexpected. I didn’t think you were the type to be into dilapidated castles and wandering vengeful spirits.”

“Those are just stereotypes, they aren’t all like that. Anyway, even stereotypes can be done well in the hands of a master storyteller, like Mr. Dante.”  

At Abhay’s look, she continued, “What? You think a woman of science wouldn’t be fascinated by the paranormal or inexplicable phenomenon? Or that a doctor wouldn’t be interested in the themes of death and the macabre? That’s where you’re wrong. For doctors, death is a failure. If we can’t save someone after we try our hardest, we consider it the will of God. So if we can consider God, why can’t we consider other possibilities outside the realm of science, even if only in our imagination? For us, death is a finality. But for a writer, death is something to be explored. All humans have a fascination with death, it’s the nature of mortality. We are equally curious as we are terrified by things that go bump in the night. I don’t see a reason to shy away from it. True, I fight the reaper everyday, but every now and then I like to read from the reaper’s perspective. 

Abhay considered this. “I never thought of it that way. What an interesting insight into the mind of Dr. Sinha. Frankly, the only thing that really surprises me is that you have time to read. Who knew Dr. Deepika Sinha has hobbies too? I thought you lived and breathed surgery.”

“And what are your hobbies Dr. Sathe? If it weren’t for your mother I don’t think you’d ever leave the hospital.”

“I’m not sure if you’re mocking or praising each other,” Dante said amusedly. 

They both blushed, they had forgotten for a minute that they were at the hospital and were supposed to be attending to a patient. 

Deepika noticed something. “Mr. Dante, has your leg fallen asleep? You are shaking it.”

“Oh, no that happens on and off. I have restless leg syndrome. It’s become quite annoying in the past year, but I’m taking medication for it.” 

“I see. Do you suffer from any other involuntary muscle movements?” 

“No, nothing like that. Though my wife complained that I thrash around in my sleep,” he smiled sadly, “She passed six months ago. Sleep well Sylvia.” 

“I’m sorry to hear that. You mentioned that you were fatigued. How long have you been having sleep problems?” 

“Hm, I suppose around the time my leg has been bothering me. Though I doubt it’s related. I simply have a lot of unpleasant dreams. I was going through some personal financial troubles and my wife’s health had also taken a downturn. Although no one expected her to pass so suddenly. It’s expected that I sleep rather stressfully.”

“Have you considered seeing a psychiatrist or therapist?” 

“I was prescribed anti-anxiety pills. Though to be honest, I’m a bit forgetful about taking it right before bed.” 

“And no other sleep aids?”

“No, I didn’t want to become dependent on any sleep medications.” 

“Ok…” Deepika frowned there was something still bothering her but she couldn’t quite put her finger on it. â€œMr. Dante, I want to conduct a sleep study on you. I will inform the sleep technician. You will have to stay overnight.” 

Dante sighed, “If you insist, doctor.” 

Deepika and Abhay bid goodbye to Oscar Dante and went to check on other patients. 

“What are you thinking, Deepika?” Abhay asked, “Any diagnosis for Mr. Dante.”

“I can’t say anything now. Let’s wait for the results of the sleep study. I just can’t help but feel there’s something missing or something Mr. Dante is neglecting to tell us.” She sighed frustratedly. 

“Don’t worry, we’ll figure it out,” Abhay said confidently. 

Deepika nodded, feeling encouraged. They were close to finishing their shift when the other junior residents returned. 

“Peroz, how was the surgery, you were assisting right?” Abhay asked. 

Dr. Peroz Murgiwala nodded, “Both Sandeep and Randeep are fine. Everything went smoothly, thank goodness, because I was quite worried–” He broke off and shared a look with Dr. Ansari. 

“What happened?” Abhay questioned, looking between them.

Peroz rubbed his neck, “I feel weird saying this, but something is off with Dr. Saxena. He’s been having strange mood swings, and he stormed off right before surgery after already scrubbing in. I was thinking of informing Dr. Sinha to take over, but he returned and acted like nothing happened.” 

“Agreed, there is some locha (problem) with Dr. Saxena,” said Dr. Ansari.

Abhay wondered what might be the reason behind Dr. Saxena’s strange behavior. He had heard that Saxena had also walked out in the middle of a surgery. He recalled what Deepika had asked him this morning about anyone acting strange. Could it possibly be Dr. Saxena who was stealing and abusing drugs? 

“I think you guys are speculating too much,” said Sia, “Dr. Saxena has always been a bit moody hasn’t he? He’s hardly jovial like Dr. Ali.” 

“You haven’t been around him all day Sia, you’ve been assisting Dr. Ali in the ICU,” said Peroz, “He’s acting differently than usual.” 

Before anyone could theorize further, Deepika came up to them and everyone quieted. “Charts are all done, patients are all stable, ready to go home Abhay?” 

Abhay stiffened, and Deepika’s eyes widened at her slip of tongue. “I mean, Dr. Sathe, your shift is over, and I think everyone else’s shift is also done, so ready to go home?” she corrected. 

Everyone got ready to leave. Sia looked at Abhay curiously. He seemed awfully quiet. “Abhay, do you want to go for dinner?” 

“No, Aai is not feeling well. I’ll need to go right home for a few days,” he replied. 

He got changed and caught up to Deepika as she was leaving. 

“Deepika, can I have a quick word?”

“Of course, what happened?”

“What do you think about Dr. Saxena’s mood swings?”

She shrugged, “Not a lot to think about, he’s a temperamental person.”

“I think it could be more than that. Remember what you said about addicts acting strange? It’s possible that Dr. Saxena is a drug addict and he’s behind the theft of opioids.” 

Deepika looked at him surprised, “No, I think you’ve got it wrong. Vikrant– I mean, Dr. Saxena isn’t a drug addict. He can be volatile, but he’s a good surgeon. He wouldn’t risk his career over drugs.” 

“How can you be sure?”

“Look, I just know, okay. Dr. Saxena isn’t your guy.”

Abhay narrowed his eyes in suspicion. He knew Deepika and Vikrant were friendly, but he didn’t trust the man at all. Deepika was a good person, so she saw good in other people, but that wasn’t always the case. He had witnessed Vikrant making a romantic declaration to Deepika, and although he hadn’t heard her answer, it was possible she was siding with Vikrant because they were together. He dearly hoped not. His pesky feelings for Deepika aside, Vikrant wasn’t good for her. He was smug and toxic, and everything Deepika wasn’t. 

Abhay got on his motorcycle and Deepika in her jeep. How odd that they were taking two vehicles to the same destination. 

Deepika reached home about twenty minutes after Abhay due to a traffic jam. Her large jeep couldn’t navigate it as well as his bike. She entered the house thinking to check on Girija. She was passing the hallway bathroom when the door suddenly swung open and she found herself faced with a wet-haired Abhay who was clutching a towel around his waist and nothing else. 

Deepika’s mouth fell open while Abhay went bright red. He backed into the bathroom and promptly shut the door. “Sorry,” his muffled voice came through the door, “I accidentally left my clothes in the bedroom and Aai is sound asleep. I had dismissed the aide, and you weren’t here yet so I thought I could just grab them unnoticed.” 

“Oh! Um, it’s ok. I’ll get your clothes. They’re in the guest room?”

“Yeah, on the bed.”

Deepika went into the bedroom, where Girija was snoring away peacefully. She grabbed the bundle of clothes, trying not to look at the boxers folded neatly on top of the pile. She knocked on the bathroom door, Abhay stuck a head and arm out and retrieved his clothes for her. 

“Thank you,” he said bashfully. 

“No problem.”

Deepika couldn’t help but giggle as Abhay shut the door. Despite the initial embarrassment, it was a kind of funny situation.  

She went to change and when she came out Abhay was also thankfully fully dressed. 

“What do you want to do for dinner? There’s only bland food at home and I’m a little too tired to cook. Do you want to order something?” 

Abhay shrugged, “Whatever is fine by me. We can eat out if you want.” 

“Are we going out to eat?” Girija entered the common room. “I haven’t been to a restaurant in forever!” she said excitedly. 

“No Aai, I was talking about take-out,” Abhay explained. 

“Actually, going to a restaurant isn’t a bad idea. You said you’re going to work on giving your mother more experiences, well why don’t we take her out to eat? I’m sure she would like to get out of the house for once,” Deepika suggested. 

“Are you sure dear? I wouldn’t want to intrude on your romantic dinner date. You kids should enjoy some alone time.”

Deepika and Abhay gave each a look, it appears Girija was still under the misconception that Deepika and Abhay were engaged. 

“It’s fine Aunty, we would love for you to join us,” Deepika assured her. 

“Such a nice girl you are,” Girija said sweetly. 

Thus dinner was planned at a restaurant. Deepika, who relied more on delivery than sit-down restaurants, gave Abhay the task of finding a good place. 

“Aunty isn’t the only one who hasn’t been to a restaurant in forever,” Deepika thought.

Maybe she could also use more experiences.

Edited by ShinyMishka - 2 years ago

Nice nice nice chapter Shiny....please do continue this fic whatever may happen in show. I am waiting to read more 

I want to see how Abhay comes clean with Sia and how he comes to know about Deepika's past and how their equation evolves 

Reading ur story is actually like watching a new episode. Can't wait for the next one

Thanks you dear  for tagging.  Very nice update.   Thoroughly enjoyed reading.   Waiting for the next.....  😘😘💞

Another marvellous chapter Shiny. Loving these little sparks arising through the hit and miss incidents of Deepika and Abhay. Considering the numerous shirtless pictures of Vidyut that are floating on the internet, it was not at all difficult to imagine him coming out of the bathroom in a towel...☺️

Am really enjoying Girja and Deepika's bonding. đŸ˜Š

Update soon, please. đŸ˜ł

Hi

An amazing update loved it.

I read your story but never commented on it.

Totally loving it. AbDeep are just love wish we could’ve got something in show but anyways your story is fulfilling my wish.

Thanks for tagging me.

May I know your name?

Generally people use different username that’s why I am asking.

I am Trupti.

Edited by truptishree - 2 years ago
Originally posted by truptishree

Hi

An amazing update loved it.

I read your story but never commented on it.

Totally loving it. AbDeep are just love wish we could’ve got something in show but anyways your story is fulfilling my wish.

Thanks for tagging me.

May I know your name?

Generally people use different username that’s why I am asking.

I am Trupti.

Thank you! My real name is Swetha, but you can refer to me as Swetha or Mishka. Mishka is my dog's name and I use it as a pen-name. 

Originally posted by Ashviniv

Nice nice nice chapter Shiny....please do continue this fic whatever may happen in show. I am waiting to read more 

I want to see how Abhay comes clean with Sia and how he comes to know about Deepika's past and how their equation evolves 

Reading ur story is actually like watching a new episode. Can't wait for the next one

Thank you! The most difficult part is I've decided I need to do this all in the 7 days that Abhay is staying in Deepika's house. They will have a busy week! 

Originally posted by Chir-Cute

Another marvellous chapter Shiny. Loving these little sparks arising through the hit and miss incidents of Deepika and Abhay. Considering the numerous shirtless pictures of Vidyut that are floating on the internet, it was not at all difficult to imagine him coming out of the bathroom in a towel...☺️

Am really enjoying Girja and Deepika's bonding. đŸ˜Š

Update soon, please. đŸ˜ł

Thanks! I love writing those little moments. I missed those so much in the show. And yes, the shirtless incident was quite easy to imagine. đŸ˜† I wanted to turn those besharam antics of Vipika into cute little moments. 

brilliant chapter as always 

totally loving abdeep together awe after a age dipika feeling like a family coz of abhay & his aai awe abdeep music connection😉 at least for a while they behave normal till sia came there i thinkit's time abhay should come clean with sia before it's too late uff that vikrant😡 so dipika is Mr dante fan abhay was amazed seeing dipika as fangirl😃 for a while both abdeep forgot they r in hospital & with patient😆 i can imagine their blush😆 glad piroz & wasim shared their doubt abt vikrant with abhay but dipika couldn't believe that vikrant can take drugs hope when dipika will get to know the truth she won't support vikrant loll abhay without shirt☺️ quite funny moment between abdeep❤️ oh i love girija & dipika bond & girija still think abhay got engaged to dipika😊 now abdeep with girija going out for dinner feel like family❤️ continue soon