How did a movie like Kabir Singh become so successful?

Posted: 2 years ago

People often bash old Bollywood movies for being "regressive" and not having aged well (even movies like DDLJ or KKHH get lots of criticism here) & act like people are sooo much smarter now.

Then we get a movie like Kabir Singh where the MC treated women FAR worse than many of the popular 90s-early 2000s movies (not sure about before, haven't watched them) and it was very successful and popular.

it had great songs

shahid kiara had chemistry - shahid acted well in the role though the character was aggressive, kiara is a relatively fresh face 

Kabir Singh/Arjun Reddy is the story of an individual with many problems and all his relationships were problematic not just with the woman he loved but with everyone who is connected with him be it with his family members or his friends.

The original film Arjun Reddy is a huge hit in Telugu. But in Telugu the movie seemed to have been perceived differently. It was seen as a journey of a flawed individual.

This movie came along when movie heroes are shown as angels who come to rescue people in distress. A story of a flawed man in the lead was a novelty and a welcome change.

I think Telugu audience saw him as just a flawed man who screwed up his life and relationships and how he redeemed himself.

Of course the chemistry of the ML and the girl who played his GF also added to its success.

Originally posted by aparnauma

Kabir Singh/Arjun Reddy is the story of an individual with many problems and all his relationships were problematic not just with the woman he loved but with everyone who is connected with him be it with his family members or his friends.

The original film Arjun Reddy is a huge hit in Telugu. But in Telugu the movie seemed to have been perceived differently. It was seen as a journey of a flawed individual.

This movie came along when movie heroes are shown as angels who come to rescue people in distress. A story of a flawed man in the lead was a novelty and a welcome change.

I think Telugu audience saw him as just a flawed man who screwed up his life and relationships and how he redeemed himself.

Of course the chemistry of the ML and the girl who played his GF also added to its success.

I appreciate Anti hero protagonists a lot, they are popular in many Hollywood movies, shows etc. but the problem with Kabir Singh was that he didn't show much change and was even rewarded at the end. If he didn't get his love interest back and changed for the better I would be fine with it

Originally posted by Journey95

I appreciate Anti hero protagonists a lot, they are popular in many Hollywood movies, shows etc. but the problem with Kabir Singh was that he didn't show much change and was even rewarded at the end. If he didn't get his love interest back and changed for the better I would be fine with it

I haven't seen the Hindi version but heard that it is scene to scene remake.After the hospital inquiry committee he did work on improving himself.

@Bold I agree with you on that. But I guess it is the girl's decision to take him back.But then we never really got to see what she saw in him in the first play anyways. May be for her the improved version is  acceptable. She seemed to have chosen her unmarried mother status and part with her family over this guy.I think she got tired of being all alone and took him back too quickly.

But yes they should have left it open ended with the scene implying that he would work on getting her back again and earn her trust.

The target audience loves toxic masculinity.

Sirf ek thappad se poora film regressive ban gaya wah bhai wah  ,thappad toh ladki ne bhi maara tha Shahid ko picture mein😆

Devdas ko kuch kyon nahi bolta saala shadi k din Paro ko sarr pe maarta hai aur phir dialogue marta hai ki pyaar ki nishani hai  abe sale ðŸ˜†

Originally posted by Daechwita

The target audience loves toxic masculinity.

Well everyone loves it. Even women. Otherwise men are called INCAPABLE  AND UNATTRACTIVE for being a potential partner. Yeh manly nahi hai yaar comes to mind by Sanju baba.

Another point is if Shahid's character wouldn't have been successful paisewala, the girl would have filed a complaint for harrassment.