Poll

CCC- Culture of Constant Comparisons

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
CriticusExpert thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

I am a proponent that: No human is worthless, a life has many struggles and private issues no one knows about, therefore every one is unique and following a life path that was pre-chosen for them.

Not a day goes by that I do not see in sites such as this and all over social media the constant comparison 

by "fans" or "people" of others, most of all prominent people.  The questions are always really shallow, open ended or they appear to be as dismissive as comparing a menial product in a store, or they are comparing things that the subjects themselves cannot change or have any control over (so not equal comparisons) in fact some are comparisons are so old no one remembers them well. About 90% of the time outcome changes NOTHING, not even bragging points. Because everyone has different perceptions of beauty, talent, greatness etc..and their mind is made up.

I have traveled extensible and all cultures compare BUT the extent to which its elevated in India is most unique, be it in the country or by people who are NRI.  No place else does it reach the levels it does there.

Because  Culture is a learned behavior that is transmitted from one member of society to another. 

My question is:

IS this comparing of all humans, their beauty, their talent, their opinions etc..etc.. Something that spills over onto every day life, so that it is done at town level, street level, neighborhood level , family level...I mean is it something that is practiced as a life routine comparing brothers, sisters, cousins etc and repeatedly getting asked "who is better?  Mom or Dad"  "Who is prettier Didi S or Didi M" Who is taller ...and then all that is followed by heated arguments, that not only pits the subjects involuntarily against each other but dismisses as worthless both individuals unique abilities. 

I mean is it so in your homes?  Your family? Your communities. So its part of life?

If this is part of life. In a country of so many people there is a lot of competition ...so it must be a challenge.. to live and have to be a member of a Comparotortue culture.

Comment if you like.

Thanks.

Edited by CriticusExpert - 2 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Festival thumbnail

Who do you love more? Your mom or dad? 

Festival thumbnail

Loving others enhances my feelings of self worth.

Mrignaini thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

After SSR's death, a lot of people proclaimed to stop believing blinds and made excuses for why they were led consume them like authentic news items, despite actively perpetuating them in random topics.

But nothing changes, you find the same people playing guessing games asking members to guess which lead actor could be a pedophile etc.

Members often complain about their life here, is it any wonder why good things don't happen to you if you sit on this forum perniciously feeding gossip, year after year.

They always manage to find takers in the form of rival fans or just plain naive people who hang onto their word. I guess that gives them a power trip to continue for so many years. 

Upon reflecting, people do a lot of things to fit in, it's like they need a leader to guide them, even on some nameless forum.

Supari_khala thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 11 Thumbnail + 7

Ok but can you summarize this though 

YourCat thumbnail

Interesting though I cant understand, will bm to read other comments 

Kyahikahoon thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 15 Thumbnail + 3

We need to understand difference between competition and comparison.

Competition motivates people to do better, put in their best effort and achieve something.

Comparison is mostly done with n intention to put down someone by proving they r inferior to someone else. It's demotivating.

Indian parents, me included, often fail to draw a line between competition n Comparison..need to check ourselves.

CriticusExpert thumbnail
Originally posted by: Chameli_billi

Ok but can you summarize this though 

You are a therapist, not sure if I should address you as Doctor if so, my apologies...

What I mean is in India there is a tendency to compare and contrast,   (I see forums like this as small samples of a cultures mentality by reading what the few think, you get an idea of the many...sort of) but the contrast and compare is across all platforms where people with India  ties congregate. Example: you enter this forum and you read posts after post of comparison, between people NOT work product, not results but individuals, and it is usually questions that really have no answer or have subjective answers because everyone who may answer each has different likes, taste ideas.

Some recent samples:

Is Alia bigger than Deepika? 

Is HR better looking than Tom?

and a clincher for me, they are asking if Shridevi is a better actress than Madxuri! Well one is dead....as for the rest is a matter of taste...there is no right or wrong...

Another the: is so and so industry better than so and so, of course you are going to get about 7 official answers and one in english...

So basically my question is: Does this carry over to everyday private life? Do people compare their children one from the other, their family their neighbors etc...in a constant race to prove betterness?

If so is it because of the large population?

Is uniqueness appreciated at all or the fact that different people have different talents appreciated at all?

(that could be a reason why so many good scientists/talents leave and go reside else where-because they have a chance to explore without so many restrictions inside that small box of comparison)

Thank you.

Edited by CriticusExpert - 2 years ago
CriticusExpert thumbnail
Originally posted by: Festival

Loving others enhances my feelings of self worth.

Thank you Festival...That is the idea, asking a child to pick between mom or dad or between granny and gramps is a horrible thing to do.  The kid is left feeling guilty no matter who he/she picks.

So comparison between menial ridiculous things is useless and harmful...

Like do you prefer food or water?

The answer is BOTH I need both! Maybe not at the same time but for sure both.

In choosing people or artists: You may think some are good at one thing others good at other things.

BUT: NO human is worthless.

Thank you.

CriticusExpert thumbnail
Originally posted by: niyati13

We need to understand difference between competition and comparison.

Competition motivates people to do better, put in their best effort and achieve something.

Comparison is mostly done with n intention to put down someone by proving they r inferior to someone else. It's demotivating.

Indian parents, me included, often fail to draw a line between competition n Comparison..need to check ourselves.

Loving this comment...