Someone From The Northeast Should Have Played Mary Kom:Priyanka Chopra

Posted: 2 years ago

https://www.ndtv.com/entertainment/someone-from-the-northeast-should-have-played-mary-kom-i-look-nothing-like-her-priyanka-chopra-2709407

New Delhi: 

Priyanka Chopra, who is the cover girl for Vanity Fair magazine's February issue, in a recent interview with them, opened up about playing the role of boxing champion Mary Kom and prepping for the role. She also said in the interview that she feels like someone from the northeast should have played the titular role. "When I played Mary Kom, I was very skeptical taking it on in the beginning because she was a living, breathing icon and she made place for so many female athletes. Plus, I look nothing like her. She comes from the northeast of India and I am from northern India and we physically didn't look alike. In hindsight, the part should have probably gone to someone from the northeast," Priyanka Chopra told Vanity Fair.

The Matrix 4 star added during the interview, "But I was just greedy as an actor to get a chance to tell her story because she inspired me so much, as a woman, as an Indian woman, as an athlete. When the filmmakers insisted I do it, I was just like, 'You know what? I'm going to do it.'"

Speaking of how she prepped for the role, Priyanka Chopra said, "I went and met Mary, I spent time in her home, I met her children, I met her husband. I had to spend almost five months training to learn the sport, which is not easy, by the way... And to physically alter my body as well, to get into an athlete's shape. So, physically, it was really tough, mentally, it was really tough. Because I physically didn't look like her, I decided to embody her spirit. So, I spent a lot of time with her so that she could educate me about what her choices were, why she made the choices that she did."

She doesn't want South Asian parts in Hollywood films to be done by other actors, and wants to get those roles. That's why her sudden love for authenticity.

Originally posted by Lord_Voldemort

She doesn't want South Asian parts in Hollywood films to be done by other actors, and wants to get those roles. That's why her sudden love for authenticity.

Yeah she is a hypocrite. If she actually believed this she would have declined to do Mary Kom...its just virtue signalling

Your attempt to appear woke has failed again, NyQuil hoarder 

Originally posted by Lord_Voldemort

While this is 1000% true - it is also true that global culture(s), cinematic norms and the many different moral compasses in general around the world have changed/updated SO much in the last decade. More than any other time in recorded history.Nobody questioned these things in the 90s. In the late 2000s is was being debated, and we only really see authentic casting as a norm post-2010s.

But yeah, Team Priyanka definitely had a strategy meeting and decided to put this new updated insight out there in case it comes back to bite. 

Great interview! 👍🏼

Originally posted by Rekha_ji

While this is 1000% true - it is also true that global culture(s), cinematic norms and the many different moral compasses in general around the world have changed/updated SO much in the last decade. More than any other time in recorded history.Nobody questioned these things in the 90s. In the late 2000s is was being debated, and we only really see authentic casting as a norm post-2010s.

But yeah, Team Priyanka definitely had a strategy meeting and decided to put this new updated insight out there in case it comes back to bite. 

Its all because of social media. Some people already cared in the 90s but they didn't have any platform to bring awareness to those issues. But with social media all that changed. Its mostly good but sometimes it feels like Hollywood movies for an example are designed by a committee now and feel artificial since try to pander to everyone and are very PC.

Jitne Priyanka ke naam per movie dekhne gaye the....woh bhi nahi jaate......movie would have been a total washout....we undermine stardom when we ourselves would rarely go watch a movie wit new faces...🤔

Originally posted by blue-ice.1

Jitne Priyanka ke naam per movie dekhne gaye the....woh bhi nahi jaate......movie would have been a total washout....we undermine stardom when we ourselves would rarely go watch a movie wit new faces...🤔

Then why was HW criticized for using white actors to play non white people?

The same argument was used when not allowing black/minority women on the cover of fashion magazines and not featuring black/minority actors in prominent roles in movies/TV shows

People including desis protested it and that situation is changing

Edited by BettyA1 - 2 years ago