Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Is Imtiaz Ali one of the most overrated directors?

Posted: 2 years ago

His only great movie is Jab we met..Love Aaj Kal (the first one) and Rockstar were still ok I guess but that's about it.

His last two movies especially were pure garbage

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Mallika-E-Bhais thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

JWM & the original Love Aaj Kaal are his best but he really did surpass himself in Highway. What. A. Film. 

Ever since then it’s been downhill & downhill. The 2nd LAK was PURE ROTTEN GARBAGE & Kartik A makes me want to stab him with a pointy pencil, right into his face. 

capricornrcks thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Imtiaz Ali has been coasting on the success of Jab We Met for a long time. He indulges in too much naval gazing for a commercial movie director. And he casts absolutely the worst female leads occasionally. Why on earth would he cast a Brazilian model as older Saif's pair in Love Aaj Kal? Or choose Nargis Fakhri to be cast as Ranbir's love interest? Neither of these two women can act or string together proper Hindi dialogue? And Alia in Highway was a poor choice. He should have shelved the film till she'd gotten better in acting or cast someone else. Parineeti was miles better than Alia at that point in her career.
atominis thumbnail

Yes. He has been cashing success of JWM for over a decade now.

I think his only other good film is maybe Highway.

He makes faltu films, and relies on famous cast, good music to sail by.

And I do not like his portrayal of women. He caricatured millennial working women in LAK sequel and Sara's portrayal was offensive. 

DanceUntilWeDie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Yes. N please watch socha na tha if you haven't. 

One of his best

Rekha_ji thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Why did y'all have to remind us about the downfall of Imtiaz Ali. 😭

He started off so great, but the last few films have been of far poorer quality, it really does pain me to admit this.

Personally, I think Highway is one of the Greatest Movies Of All-Time. It's his bestestest work. The soundtrack is also incredible, as is Alia's performance. 

Jab We Met is a very very very well made entertaining film. Probably his most popular. I love it. Kareena was iconic in it. What a moment in Bollywood history.

I didn't love Rockstar, at all, sadly. But Tamasha I loved so many bits of it, although it did leave me feeling somewhat unsatisfied overall.

I should be, but I am not embarrassed to say that I found quite a few elements of Jab Harry Met Sejal to be super duper excellent. But it wasn't enough to make the film work. They had all the ingredients but the dish just turned out bad, gutting.

I am worried, concerned and excited about his next project. Hoping it's in the space of Highway.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

He had more failure than success 

He is definite over rated 

kayulover123 thumbnail
Anniversary 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Jab We Met, Socha na Tha, Highway and Rockstar 👍🏼

The other ones were average but he banked on them due to the starcast.

Rekha_ji thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

To answer the question directly, I don't think he is really that over-rated at all. Far from the "most".

When he made great films, he was appreciated and rightly so. He has the credentials. But this is art we are talking about, and an artist can for a number of different reasons create something that's not on par with the rest of their work. Artists get nervous, doubt themselves, get over-excited, try to recreate old magic.

So, I think I'd say he's just having a bad phase. But he is correctly rated. A talented director, who has lost his way a bit.

wonkyfaint thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

No, don't think he's overrated. 

Made so many memorable movies - my personal favs are Tamasha (can watch it over and over again) and Love Aaj Kal. Like Rockstar too but too intense for repeat viewings. 

His movies just resonate with me, they're either about the experiences I'm going through or people close to me are going through. Like I know a Ved in my life very very well haha