Posted: 2 years ago

Looks good. I only hope they keep music, sets, technology, looks, dress, accent and other details authentic as per early 1980s era. The music in teaser sounded contemporary.

I hope Ranveer does justice to role of Kapil Dev because frankly I do not think he sounds or looks like Kapil Dev nor pics from the film made him look believable. This is a huge test for him as an actor.

First time India's first victory in World Cup is being shown on screen. Older gen fans will rip them apart if they find anything less than authentic. 

Best of luck to the team.  

Originally posted by atominis

Looks good. I only hope they keep music, sets, technology, looks, dress, accent and other details authentic as per early 1980s era. The music in teaser sounded contemporary.

I hope Ranveer does justice to role of Kapil Dev because frankly I do not think he sounds or looks like Kapil Dev nor pics from the film made him look believable. This is a huge test for him as an actor.

First time India's first victory in World Cup is being shown on screen. Older gen fans will rip them apart if they find anything less than authentic. 

Best of luck to the team.  

They just need to make sure that they successfully capture the spirit of the 1983 , the rest is just detail! I mean we are not really expecting a mimicry show right?  Hopefully they are able to get the pulse of the team dynamics at that time, the audience reactions, the ambience of the matches, and the other little little BTS details even the people who watched these matches weren’t aware of.

Oh yeah. this is definitely a huge test for Ranveer as an actor. Fitting into such big shoes of Kapil Paaji convincingly, is indeed an uphill task. Hopefully he delivers just like he was able to, with his other successful stints. 1983 is very special to every single cricket fan of India and it will be very upsetting if they don’t get it right. *fingers crossed*. 

Edited by catchmeifucan - 2 years ago

It is not about mimicry but authenticity. Kapil for eg has a distinct style of speaking with pauses. And a certain body language. Ranveer has to get that speech, mannerisms, body language right so that people see Kapil Dev in him and not Ranveer Singh. There was particular style of body language and speech in 80s and not so polished way of interacting with media and public for people of 80s since there was not much media back then and no TV channels at all except DD. 

Any misstep in showing the era, the people involved and nuances of cricket as a game will lead to lot of memes and criticism online. 

I love Ranveer as an actor and he is the best in current lot IMHO. But he has his own charismatic personality and style, way of speaking which should not overpower character in a biopic. I am waiting to see how he took the challenge to become Kapil Dev and manage to balance his own charisma as Ranveer Singh. 

I would hate to see him criticised. He is the most promising actor IMO and I absolutely loved him in Padmavat. I hope he will live up to expectations. 

Originally posted by atominis

It is not about mimicry but authenticity. Kapil for eg has a distinct style of speaking with pauses. And a certain body language. Ranveer has to get that speech, mannerisms, body language right so that people see Kapil Dev in him and not Ranveer Singh. There was particular style of body language and speech in 80s and not so polished way of interacting with media and public for people of 80s since there was not much media back then and no TV channels at all except DD. 

Any misstep in showing the era, the people involved and nuances of cricket as a game will lead to lot of memes and criticism online. 

I love Ranveer as an actor and he is the best in current lot IMHO. But he has his own charismatic personality and style, way of speaking which should not overpower character in a biopic. I am waiting to see how he took the challenge to become Kapil Dev and manage to balance his own charisma as Ranveer Singh. 

I would hate to see him criticised. He is the most promising actor IMO and I absolutely loved him in Padmavat. I hope he will live up to expectations. 

Absolutely agree! He better get all the nuances right! It may be a Team thing but definitely all eyes are going to be on him. I love him too but I will be very upset if he or his team don’t get it right because this is Cricket and the peak moment of every cricket fan of India, regardless of which gen they belong to.