Does the audience care more for good looks or good acting?

priya185 thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

I think there should be a bit of both

these days producers like karan johar and zoya akhtar care more for nepotism than acting or looks 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

infinity101 thumbnail
Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Anniversary 7 Thumbnail + 3

Bit of both. Though one thing I can't stand is even if you are the most beautiful/handsome looking,but your acting sucks big time and still you get films after films, BW industry is full of people with mediocre or next to no talent and still getting shoved down audience's throat  Things are slightly changing though. Good looks are obviously a plus but a little bit of talent/acting chops is also required.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

I think it’s a mix 

But I will never think audience ignoring “good acting” is a bad thing. The audience has freedom to do what they want with their wallets. An quite frankly does everyone thing the supposed “good acting” is really that good 😆😆  Maybe they don’t an that’s why it’s ignored 

loginidran thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

I personally need a bit of good looks and a LOT of good acting. Actually more than the good looks, the actors need to gel in with the story that they were trying to tell. But you know, good looks along with good acting don’t hurt at all! :)

Edited by catchmeifucan - 2 years ago
TrollikaDevi thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

They prefer looks over acting. Otherwise  Aishwarya or Deepika would have had to find another career long ago.  

atominis thumbnail

Audience post 2000 has only cared more for looks than acting. And has made superstars out of even those who could not act to save their life or even speak any Indian language properly.

Ever since models and beauty pageant winners began entering Bollywood it became more about looks than acting or content. 

You cannot imagine someone with looks of early 90s Ajay Devgan or Kajol even allowed to make debut in Bollywood without being asked to go under the knife and get their skin lightened. 

Today it is primarily about looks and PR. Talent, craft and content rank later. 

Audience is shallow. I remember watching TZP and Ghajini in theatres. Many were mocking TZP or called it boring but there were whistles and claps when Aamir appeared shirtless and flaunted his 8 pack abs in Ghajini and theatre was jam packed unlike half empty theatre for TZP. Whereas content wise TZP beats Ghajini anyday. Aamir got whole new set of fans post his physical transformation in Ghajini. Even people who used to call him boring or preachy earlier became his fans then. 

I guess makers of OSO also knew nature of audience which is why they marketed SRK's 6 pack abs more than anything and hyped Dard e Disco the most compared to other songs of the film. 

Looks and skin show matter most to audience of today. Not talent that much. 

I feel stars like Zeenat Amaan would have become lot more popular now had they been at their prime in this era. 

Blood_Sacrifice thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

The fact that Katrina is the biggest superstar of modern time answers your question.

loginidran thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: TrollikaDevi

They prefer looks over acting. Otherwise  Aishwarya or Deepika would have had to find another career long ago.  

They rate actors on three things:

Kareena Good GIF - Kareena Good Looks - Discover & Share GIFs

JayaBachan thumbnail

The audience cares more for good looks. Personally I need a bit of both. Having nice fingers, straight teeth and dimples would also be nice. Thank you. 

Maroonporsche thumbnail
Originally posted by: catchmeifucan

They rate actors on three things:

Kareena Good GIF - Kareena Good Looks - Discover & Share GIFs

I never wanted Kareena more than after this gif 😆