Raghav and Pallavi - walking backwards along the road to romance

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

February 18: Pallavi and Raghav met.

April 9: Pallavi was accused of aborting a Raghav-begotten pregnancy with her hospital visit on March 20 - after just 30 days of acquaintance!

April 22: Raghav claimed that he and Pallavi spent 19-20 nights together (unnoticed) over the past month - and only pretended to accuse each other of linking their names less than 2 weeks before.

May 5: Raghav and Pallavi's saptapadī - just 13 days after Raghav said that they both like sex with non-commitment.

June 26: Pallavi and Raghav decided to sleep side-by-side in one bed.

July 23: Raghav and Pallavi said "I love you" to each other.

October 16: Pallavi asked Raghav to make an effort so that they can have a baby.

November 27: Will they even kiss behind a balloon before the end?

First pregnancy, then affair.

First bedsharing, then love.

First procreation, then kiss.

Their romance was all backwards!

Did I miss any milestones on their road to romance?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Now that the show is over, would anyone be interested to discuss attitudes towards romance, love, and sex on MHRV in the context of other works of fiction?

I think that MHRV unmistakably endorsed the regressive attitude that a romantic heroine should be sexually untouched and a romantic hero should be hyperbolically experienced. Accordingly, there was a blatant double standard in how Pallavi reacted to her first husband's return and how Raghav reacted to his ex-girlfriend's return.

If I came across one story about widow remarriage in which the widow was never physical with her first husband, I might accept that it's a creative decision by the author. However, if I see this situation in story after story, with widows who fully experienced the first marriage being the exception, I have to call out a pattern of storytellers being afraid to dramatize a societal issue honestly.

Can anyone help me to make a list of daily dramas and other fiction that had a widow remarriage plot, and whether the widow experienced her first marriage?

I have seen a couple of Marathi movies from around 1960 (Kanyādāna and Suvāsinī), in which the heroine lost her first husband, and her husband's family had to consider getting her remarried. In Suvāsinī, the man who wanted to remarry his best friend's widow explained that because the first husband went to war on the wedding night, the so-called widow was virginal. When the first husband came back alive, as his "widow" clairvoyantly insisted he would, it became clear that the virginal-widow-remarriage-proposal subplot was supposed to be progressive without offending anybody. In contrast, Kanyādāna boldly depicted the heroine going into the bedroom to share a conversation over a glass of milk with her first husband (who even managed to visit her at her parents' house before the wedding day!), but she couldn't sleep there because the garbhādhāna ritual was delayed. They shared a song while honeymooning in a garden; it was undeniable that she had deep romantic feelings for him, and she was shown outgrowing those feelings after his death when she fell in love with a fellow student at college. I wonder why, if the heroine's emotional intimacy with both men could be portrayed like this, was it necessary to include the detail that she was physically untouched?

I could have understood if a story authored in the nineteenth century chose to advocate for widow remarriage by asking, why should a childlike widow be denied the true experience of marriage? However, in 1960 it was a case of art falling behind life. Widow remarriage was already trending for several decades, and the actress who played the heroine in Kanyādāna would go on to write in her autobiography that in 1953, having been scandalously in love with a married director, she chose to rebound by getting married. Her husband didn't expect an untouched wife; he only asked if the affair was over before he accepted her proposal, and after marriage he trusted her to work with her ex-lover. Now, here we are, another 61 years later, with Mehandī Hai Racanevālī going out of its way to keep Pallavi physically pure for Raghav until the end.

Did Goriṇṭāku's heroine Srivalli also lose her first husband before intimacy? Did she love him?

I know of a couple of Marathi daily dramas (Asaṃ Sāsara Surekha Bāī and Sukhācyā Sarīṃnī He Mana Bāvare) in which the heroine is a remarried widow who deeply loved her first husband and suffered the loss of her pregnancy after he died. Has there been a show in which the heroine is a widow with a living child, and she gets remarried?

Not only was Pallavi a widow who never started married life, she was written to diminish Mandar's importance in her life progressively. She gave Raghav a chance in Mandar's name; yet she never felt affection for Mandar after courting for four months; she looked uncomfortable with Mandar even when she felt sorry for him; she pretended to choose Mandar over Raghav, but couldn't act like it to save her life.

Contrast that with Raghav's dialogues: "first time I've named a sexual partner," "best at kissing," "years of experience massaging," and his actions: getting handled and unbuttoned in the back seat of his car; carrying Anjali to bed; offering to marry the "decent" Telugu actress instead of Pallavi; crying over his ex-girlfriend (who also kept herself pure for him while married to another man) and getting carried away with her. The writers made it clear that Raghav could have countless dalliances and still be worthy of Pallavi, but women who had belonged to another man (Anjali, Amruta, Sulochana) were unworthy of him.

MHRV tried to tell risqué stories while winking at the audience that the heroine is a perpetual good girl. The show gratuitously objectified the shirtless male lead while appealing to tradition with the saree-clad female lead. The writing made Raghav a poster boy for male privilege, bragging about conquests and demanding forgiveness for his infidelity, and at the same time, Raghav was the arbiter of womens' sexual morals: he degraded his date in the first episode, Anjali, Amruta, and Pallavi; he tried to strangle his ex-girlfriend for leaving him and strike her for revealing their adultery; and he imposed his choices on Kirti constantly.

There's a line in Narendranath Mitra's Bengali story Abataranika that I think really captures the attitude of shows like MHRV. The wife shows her husband a lipstick that her Anglo-Indian co-worker has given her, and the husband who smokes cigarettes every day asks sarcastically, "How long before you start to smoke cigarettes?" The same behaviour that is liberating for the man, he imagines to be corrupting for the woman.

The weak storytelling for Mandar's return annoyed me so much, I decided to write a fan fiction that didn't change the circumstances of Pallavi's widowhood, but tried to be more human about what Mandar's return should mean for her. In my story, Pallavi and Mandar had a meaningful four months of courtship. Pallavi is physically attracted to both Raghav and Mandar, and she is still the same person who chose to marry Mandar and sees the same worthy qualities in him. In my story, Raghav doesn't need Pallavi to be physically pure because he loves the person, not the ideal.

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/5249336

hapc thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Very interesting post. MHRW was definitely regressive regarding women and their sexual desires. Apart from Amruta being villainized and reminded of her limits the FL Pallavi was shown to be super pure and pious. She hesitated with intimacy and only initiated it when the mothers said that they wanted children(It wasn't even her own desire for children). Coming to the widow remarriage .. there are a few hindi shows that showed this. Two come to my mind

Na Bole Tum Na Maine Kuch Kaha- Not seen it but heard great things

Zindagi Mere Ghar Aana Currently airing on SP so I have no idea how they'll handle the falling in love. 

Originally posted by: hapc

Very interesting post. MHRW was definitely regressive regarding women and their sexual desires. Apart from Amruta being villainized and reminded of her limits the FL Pallavi was shown to be super pure and pious. She hesitated with intimacy and only initiated it when the mothers said that they wanted children(It wasn't even her own desire for children). Coming to the widow remarriage .. there are a few hindi shows that showed this. Two come to my mind

Na Bole Tum Na Maine Kuch Kaha- Not seen it but heard great things

Zindagi Mere Ghar Aana Currently airing on SP so I have no idea how they'll handle the falling in love. 

Thank you for pointing out those two Hindi shows. I found plot summaries for them. I see that Amrita of Zindagi Mere Ghar Aana gave birth to her first husband's posthumous child and now has a love interest. Megha of Na Bole Tum Na Maine Kuch Kaha had two children from her first marriage, and her love interest had to compete with the loyalty among her, her children, and their father's memory through some outlandish stories. Megha's late husband's good reputation was a point of conflict with her love interest, and their love grew out of a joint effort to vindicate him.

Knowing that such stories about women with two complete marriages have an audience, I question all the more why the makers of Mehandī Hai Racanevālī decided to swing away from Pallavi's respect for her first marriage and make Mandar a non-option for Pallavi - first, a needy amnesiac with no personality, more interested in antagonizing Raghav than in pleasing Pallavi, and then a matricidal maniac with a predictable end in jail. Why couldn't Pallavi at least consider a life with Mandar and the family that she loves? The makers' decision to introduce Mandar as a villain didn't convince me that Raghav was right for Pallavi; it just made Pallavi look like a fool for describing Mandar as loving, responsible, sensible, someone who would never need to redeem himself. It would have been so much more interesting if Raghav had earned his place in Pallavi's family, and then Mandar's return had forced Milind, Sharada, Vijay etc. to think about who is better for Pallavi, and whether Mandar and Pallavi can coexist in the family if she stays with Raghav.

I suspect that the story changed direction abruptly in the middle of Raghav trying to find out who framed Vijay for stealing a necklace. At first, Raghav was assuring a policeman that "My father-in-law, Vijay Deshmukh, is being framed. He would never steal." With Raghav already thinking of Vijay as his family and respecting his honesty, it made no sense to end Raghav's redemption track with Vijay being spiteful and Raghav once again treating him with contempt. Raghav was supposed to disguise himself as an older man, right? Probably, the original direction was that Raghav would reveal the culprit and earn Vijay's approval and Pallavi's love. Maybe Raghav would believe in Mandar's goodness as the son of Vijay and Sharada. (In my fan fiction, as you know, hapc, Raghav says that Pallavi's description of Mandar made him suspicious of Dr. Janaki's story that Mandar left the hospital with another woman.) But with fans wanting to see Raghav's attitude, violence, and cruelty again, we got Pallavi defending Raghav as her husband, not just because he wasn't at fault ... Pallavi falling in love as quickly as Raghav ... Pallavi insisting that she was Raghav's wife, not Mandar's ... Raghav being suspicious of Mandar's identity and attacking him with a gun at first sight ... and then the makers admitted to changing the track again so that Pallavi would rather set herself on fire than symbolically reject Raghav.

About Amruta, I wasn't watching anymore when her sexual history was made an issue between her and Farhad. I didn't understand why it should be; Farhad was the one who called everyone from Asha to Krishna to catch her. I actually liked how Amruta was treated during the abortion track. She went along with Sulochana's villainy, but she wasn't a villain for having an abortion. And she didn't submit to Pallavi telling her that premarital relationships should have limits.

Edited by BrhannadaArmour - 2 years ago
meghumonu thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Can you tell me the story of this Marathi show this Asam Sasara Surekha Bai? Is the main heroine of the show a widow?

Originally posted by: meghumonu

Can you tell me the story of this Marathi show this Asam Sasara Surekha Bai? Is the main heroine of the show a widow?

Sorry, I didn't watch it while it was running. I only saw a couple of episodes from the middle of it (July 2017) on YouTube.

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4525206

meghumonu thumbnail

No you mentioned that the FL of this show remarried that is why I asked is she a widow?

Originally posted by: meghumonu

No you mentioned that the FL of this show remarried that is why I asked is she a widow?

I viewed the episodes today to make sure I wasn't mistaken. Yes, her first husband was in the hospital for several episodes and finally his organs shut down (June 13, 2017 episode); then her pregnancy ended, she was recast, she met his doppelgänger, and married him (October 13, 2017 episode). So, two different actresses played the female lead for the two marriages, but the same actor played both husbands.

meghumonu thumbnail

Bapre!! Doppleganger!! 🤣🤣

Anu1975 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

I feel they wanted to show Mandar as gay….

They wanted to give a grey shade to Pallavi with the revenge track..

But instead we got a redemption track…

Script changed there!!! Only in the Hyderabad track, it was emphasized that Pallavi had a arranged marriage and she didn’t even meet Mandar before marriage and they only had brief conversation virtually…while till few episodes before we had Pallavi telling to Raghav that Mandar was epitome of goodness…

The narrative changed in this track…

Edited by Anu1975 - 2 years ago