Q. Why does world not recognise bollywood like kpop/kdramas? - Page 3

shareShare facebook twitter
Posted: 11 months ago
Originally posted by Lalakhun1

Kpop seems like they are wearing western clothes? K dramas I havent watched like for more than 10 years, the innocent / cute act are very annoying, also I used to read how they say in real life korean people are not even like that ?

I am actually surprised with that face how could they even be popular especially the guys. 

Also I might be different, but I am not interested in culture other than my own, especially if I am not understanding the language, i will not bother watching or listening to the songs. 

@Bold: have you watched Bollywood movies?smiley36 Or seen what they wear in any of the big Indian cities? 

@Blue: have you watched Bollywood movies?smiley36 You've just described their idea of a perfect woman.

@Green: Will buy your explanation it wasn't meant to be racist, but man! If someone said that about a Bollywood movie, I doubt you (or anyone else here) would be sanguine. But apparently, being racist against East Asians is not racism!

@Red: Bud, it's one thing to say I can't relate or I don't want to read subtitles. Most peeps will shrug and say your loss. Or even to say you're not into Korean or East Asian cultures or xyz culture. The way you're wording it makes it sound like you think it's a virtue not to be interested in anything other than your own subculture in India. It isn't. It's not a vice, but it is narrow-minded and nothing to be proud of. In fact, a reader might even think you sound like the Indian version of PewDiePie.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 11 months ago

Man, this topic escalated fast 🤭 

I am attracted to Indian men and those who have tanned complexions. If they have light eyes (especially amber) I am floored. In women, being heterosexual, I am not attracted to most, but I strangely find redheads with light eyes very appealing. That’s called a preference.

But just because I am not into Korean guys, I can’t classify the whole race as unattractive. For example, I can’t deny this guy is soo incredibly handsome smiley42 Look at those cheekbones 😱 Do I desire him? No. But I could look at him whole day and not get tired. 

I won’t say Bollywood isn’t popular. It’s quite popular across cultures and Bollywood has been making some really good movies in the last decade.

K-dramas work because there is a romance hungry audience that wants a slow burn, the dream of destiny and a wholesome romance. Indian TV serials just cannot match up and Bollywood hasn’t quite got the formula right for a wholesome romance. 

For me, K dramas run too long episodically. One episode lasts for more than an hour and I simply don’t have the patience smiley44 I prefer shorter episodes of Indian TV, but don’t like the content in today’s regressive Indian shows at all.

I won’t comment on the singing or bands because I never followed their work. 

But I would say that Bollywood has its own popularity and fan base abroad. They are just differently popular.

What's so special about kdramas? All mainstream kdramas have same story line .love triangle , grumpy rich male lead , warm lovable 2nd lead and bubbly average looking female lead . from Boys over flower to true beauty same plot . Actual good dramas don't get the recognition . Squid games got lucky as it was a Netflix series.

The Entire k-pop music is a derivative of western music. The singing style everything. So it's much easier for a western audience to connect. Indian music( not recently) has always been very Indian. Bollywood also never tried to appeal to western audience while the whole k-pop and kdrama industry gets a lot of government support.

Originally posted by HearMeRoar

@Bold: have you watched Bollywood movies?smiley36 Or seen what they wear in any of the big Indian cities? 

@Blue: have you watched Bollywood movies?smiley36 You've just described their idea of a perfect woman.

@Green: Will buy your explanation it wasn't meant to be racist, but man! If someone said that about a Bollywood movie, I doubt you (or anyone else here) would be sanguine. But apparently, being racist against East Asians is not racism!

@Red: Bud, it's one thing to say I can't relate or I don't want to read subtitles. Most peeps will shrug and say your loss. Or even to say you're not into Korean or East Asian cultures or xyz culture. The way you're wording it makes it sound like you think it's a virtue not to be interested in anything other than your own subculture in India. It isn't. It's not a vice, but it is narrow-minded and nothing to be proud of. In fact, a reader might even think you sound like the Indian version of PewDiePie.

you think i really care about what other people thinks about me? smiley36 Honestly I was even thinking should I answer the other user about the racist claim or just like her comment and move on.. All these racism, feminism etc are corruptions and garbage of the internet.. Their mind is stuck in such nonsense 

People say a lot of things about bollywood.. Dancing around the trees, druggies etc 

i don’t have much interest in bollywood movies . lost interest long back . what attracts me to korean dramas is the content and only content . just 16 episodes and you get a good story unlike english shows which has lots of seasons or endless ITV dramas . kdramas offer all kinds of genre - thrillers, romcom , supernatural stuff .. there are plenty of dramas to choose from with talented actor/actress . not just kdramas , now a days even chinese dramas are also popular . i watch japanese , taiwanese too . amidst that if at all I pick a bollywood movie by chance they look stale to me except few movies which are like so rare thesedays  and music the less said the better . nothing attracts me to bollywood sadly 

Originally posted by Lalakhun1

you think i really care about what other people thinks about me? smiley36 Honestly I was even thinking should I answer the other user about the racist claim or just like her comment and move on.. All these racism, feminism etc are corruptions and garbage of the internet.. Their mind is stuck in such nonsense 

People say a lot of things about bollywood.. Dancing around the trees, druggies etc 

If you didn't, you wouldn't have responded to her comment or mine.

Not only that, we don't need you to particularly care about what we think for us to point out something wrong. Actually, we do it under the assumption you don't  care. 

Or why would you proudly advertise you bigotry?

When people call bigots or sexists out, it's usually to make a point to others who might be reading. People, you know, like those at the receiving end of your bigotry, who might feel relieved at the support. 

@2nd Bold. Yet here you are, in Bollywood forum. smiley36

Edited by HearMeRoar - 11 months ago

** Pop-corn thread alert!!!

I agree with someone who said Korean dramas and movies have quality, which Bollywood lacks badly...