Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

atominis thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Akshay himself overshadowed goody two shoes Bobby Deol in Ajnabee as he played a villain. 

Kajol stole the show from Manisha and Bobby in Gupt as the serial killer vamp. Priyanka stole the show as vamp in Aitraaz. 

Grey shade characters almost always steal the show over goody two shoes types whose characters have no arc or curiosity factor about them. 

myviewprem thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

No 

But suniel role was better 

He and naserudin shah stole the show 

MakhannMalaai thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

I liked Suneil better than Akshay if I consider 90's movies.. but I guess Akshay was the hero and Shetty had the better role.. he was good in it as well.. 

powpow thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: atominis

I am surprised Akshay did not learn the lesson even after seeing how Sanjay Dutt, SRK totally overshadowed the so called good guy in Naam, Khalnayak and Darr. Or how Amitabh's grey character overshadowed the good brother in Deewar. And how Sunil Shetty's angry and bitter character overshadowed the good brother played by Rajendra Kumar in Mother India. 

Anyday complex and grey characters with an emotional backstory strike more chord with audience compared to unidimensional goody two shoes characters. 

Sunil's character would defeat all plans of Akshay's character even before he reached the scene in that film. He would kill all villains and it is he who first learnt truth of Naseer and truth of who killed Akshay's father. 

Akshay has nothing but songs and scenes with Paresh and Raveena. Not even burning flame of revenge in him to avenge his father's death. I am surprised why he always chose goody two shoes characters knowing audience will prefer the other guy over him. 

It is no surprise Sunil is remembered more than Akshay for Dhadkan. 

Earlier most heroes thought one who gets the girl or is on right side of the law is a hero.

Only when they got repeatedly overshadowed by villains and grey characters and saw the cult status of grey characters online and on TV they realised that playing goody two shoes stickler for rules hero who gets the girl is not the only good deal.

Akshay is  a weak hero in it given how he suspects Raveena when he sees her with Sunil and slaps her. Sunil fights with him and calls out his immaturity. Akshay character has not even emotional faith and maturity in Mohra. Unlike Sunil who is shown mature from day one. 

I don't think he even understands or has ever cared to understand anything deeper than the superficial notions of characterization etc... I think for him, getting the typical 5 songs and the heroine, in the end, is = to being the lead ðŸ˜†

atominis thumbnail

Agreed completely.

I do not think Akshay ever went deeper into stories or characters and their scope when selecting films. Till late 2000s his script sense was poor and he took up almost anything offered to him. 

You are right. He must have thought he has more songs, gets heroine and is playing a cop so he must be the hero. I thought he was extra glad to play cop in Mohra and Main Khiladi tu Anari because he seemed over excited in both films. He must have thought a cop role was prestigious and probably his Zanjeer moment. 

Cop roles were sought after by heroes post Zanjeer. But most of them forgot that in 2 hero films, the vigilante type usually gets more liked than the cop. Jackie was entirely overshadowed by Sanju baba in Khalnayak just a year before Mohra released. Overshadowing of cop Shashi Kapoor in Deewar and Suhaag also taught nothing to new actors who kept delighting in getting to play righteous cop courting the heroine. 

I have to admit Sunil, Naseer have better roles than Akki in Mohra and Raveena also got more attention for her songs, skin show in it. Akshay seems quite overshadowed by rest of the cast in the film when you look back in retrospect or rewatch the film. 

Sunil was bound to get more sympathy due to back story of his wife and sister in law's tragic deaths in that film and his own unjust imprisonment saga. 

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

I don't remember much either except for one scene - that kya tum andhe ho scene - with blind Shah, which was a rip off from Pacinio's  'Are you blind' scene from "Scent of a Woman"

https://youtu.be/gRnzkvU4nFA

Other than that I remember couple of songs and don't remember Sunil  Shetty in that movie

Edited by BettyA1 - 2 years ago