Alia Bhatt's New Bridal Wear Ad Sparks Controversy

Posted: 2 years ago

This is criticised.. Like seriously 

Twitterati are welle log, seriously...

Finally....Kanyadaan is being criticized..👍🏼..about time....I said it years ago when I got married...Girls are not their parent's property that anyone can give them in daan...😳I am so happy someone raised this point even if it is in an ad..

This is what I had written in a post just a while back..

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/5246821?pn=2

There are somethings we have to do just for the sake of it and to save our family from brickbats.....There is a ritual in Hindu marriage called Kanyadaan....where the parents hand over their girl to the groom....I asked my Dad not to do Kanyadaan....because I was not his property that could give as a daan to anyone....so he said that the marriage won't be considered complete without it...and I said...then I won't get married and he said that people will say that since you are educated and having a good job....people will blame us that we are not getting you married because we want to keep your money....so that was it.....I loved my parents too much to let them hear anything just because I didn't believe in a ritual...Kanyadaan personally meant nothing to me...but I still went through it...does it make me a hypocrite...I don't think so...and even if it does....I would prefer to be called a hypocrite rather than getting my parents hurt....just my 2 cents on this situation.....for me no ritual in the world is more important than the people I love...For me more important is what I believe in my heart...

Message is good that a girl does not become 'parayi' after marriage. Execution is terrible. Kanya Daan is considered to be the biggest daan. Daan is one of the biggest acts which gets you punya to achieve moksha. It is not derogatory in any way. Also, why only Kanya mahaan? Why not beta mahaan too? Mahaanta depends on personality and not gender.

It isn't good to always find flaws with 1 religion. Do some research first.

Originally posted by PranPriye

Message is good that a girl does not become 'parayi' after marriage. Execution is terrible. Kanya Daan is considered to be the biggest daan. Daan is one of the biggest acts which gets you punya to achieve moksha. It is not derogatory in any way. Also, why only Kanya mahaan? Why not beta mahaan too? Mahaanta depends on personality and not gender.

Its not Mahaan...its maan....as in dignity/pride...

and yes Kanyadaan is a derogatory tradition and there is no way to justify it....Girls are not property....you can only give your property in daan...not a person whom you don't own..

Perhaps you should do some research. Most religions have the concept of kanyadaan. And it is wrong in every religion. The ad showed a Hindu wedding because majority Indians are Hindu.

And yeah, the claim is parents get moksha by donating your daughter to a man?😆 Gimme a break. Not only mahaanta, heaven/moksha etc depends on what you did in life, not whether you donated your girl child to a man.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 2 years ago

Twitterati my foot. velle log velle bathien. 

About time they call out this regressive ceremony called ‘Kanyadaan’. Enough said! 👎🏼

Originally posted by blue-ice.1

Finally....Kanyadaan is being criticized..👍🏼..about time....I said it years ago when I got married...Girls are not their parent's property that anyone can give them in daan...😳I am so happy someone raised this point even if it is in an ad..

This is what I had written in a post just a while back..

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/5246821?pn=2

There are somethings we have to do just for the sake of it and to save our family from brickbats.....There is a ritual in Hindu marriage called Kanyadaan....where the parents hand over their girl to the groom....I asked my Dad not to do Kanyadaan....because I was not his property that could give as a daan to anyone....so he said that the marriage won't be considered complete without it...and I said...then I won't get married and he said that people will say that since you are educated and having a good job....people will blame us that we are not getting you married because we want to keep your money....so that was it.....I loved my parents too much to let them hear anything just because I didn't believe in a ritual...Kanyadaan personally meant nothing to me...but I still went through it...does it make me a hypocrite...I don't think so...and even if it does....I would prefer to be called a hypocrite rather than getting my parents hurt....just my 2 cents on this situation.....for me no ritual in the world is more important than the people I love...For me more important is what I believe in my heart...

Apne mummy papa ka dil rakhne  aur unko beizzati se bachane ke liye aapne apni ideology ki qurbani de di. Iske liye bhi bahot courage chahiye jo aap mein hai. You are a brave girl. 

This post is so wrong at so many levels that I am not able to figure out where to begin with and where to end. 

Kanya daan is supposed to get punya to whom? 

Beta is already mahaan madam/sir, no need to even say it. But beti is mahaan has to be said because people don’t even acknowledge beti to be a person as they consider her as a material that can be given away just like they give away cows and other cattle in daan. stating beta is ‘also’ mahaan is like when women are fighting for their existence men coming and saying ‘me too’. 😵

It’s not about religion. I being a staunch Hindu, find it offensive! Nobody can give me away to earn some punya for themselves. What the heck man. One earns Punya by their own good deeds not by trading people. 👎🏼