Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Alia Bhatt's New Bridal Wear Ad Sparks Controversy - Page 5

hotchoco thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 2 years ago
This content was originally posted by: PranPriye

I disagree. It is in the modern times that wealth has been reduced to expensive objects only. Wealth earlier consisted of living beings as well like cows. 

You aren't helping your case comparing women to cows. ðŸ¤”Women are thinking, sentient beings, not livestock.

If it wasn't regressive, the man's family would also be donating their son but they don't, do they? They just take and take and take. How very convenient. 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

PranPriye thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: hotchoco

It is not false. People like to romanticize marriage because of romance novels and movies. But marriage is basically a contract where two sides decide that pairing up is more beneficial than remaining single. Traditionally, it benefits the man and his family WAY more than the woman and her family. Dowries (and they occur in many religions/cultures) are basically the buying/selling of a human and they occur in hidden ways even in rich, educated families. It's all done hush hush but there is an emphasis on how the bride has to bring certain "gifts" with her for the man and his family. This occurs in the majority of Indian marriages. 

Contract? I am sorry your thinking in this regard is pessimist.

Dowry causes the groom's family to be more favoured, I agree. When Kanya Daan exists, dowry shouldn't exist at all. 'Buying and selling' is taking things too far and proper laws against dowry which I am in favour of too. Please do not use dowry to put down Kanya Daan. They are two separate practices occuring in the same event.

monu_tan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
This content was originally posted by: HearMeRoar

No, there is giving away of the bride in Christianity. Muslim marriages have their own problematic parts. I've never attended a Buddhist or a Jain wedding or a SIkh wedding to know.

But India is nearly 80% Hindu. So when you target patriarchy in religious customs, you target what is most common. Portraying Christian wedding rituals or Islamic practices without mentioning 80% of the population would look ridiculous.

It would be like an ad in the U.S. which talked about kanyadaan😆. First of all, no one would get it. Secondly, why go for a significantly minor part of the population when 65% is Christian? Young Sheldon targeted Christianity in the show. He didn't talk about Vishnu or Allah. Same logic.

And yeah, let's not conflate sending bride off with kanyadaan. The idea behind it is that the girl's father is transferring ownership over his human property to the groom. No matter what the religion, women are not anyone's damned property. We're human, just like men. We have our rights, just like men. 

Sorry, but your argument is flawed. Saying India is 80% Hindu country so let’s target Hindu festivities and rituals basically means let’s target a religion NOT the anamolies.

Hinduism is all about symbolism, giving away a daughter is celebrated in form of Kanyadaan.  

We have other types of Daan as well in Hindus which includes land, livestock, charity, education, plants, own body etc.  You cannot misappropriate one over another. And there has been ritual to give away boys of a family for the purpose of education, religion and political reasons as well. Daan is just a synonym for Giving Away.

And we do give away girls for marriage. So unless we stop giving away girls in marriage, don’t know how to stop calling it Daan.

PranPriye thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: hotchoco

You aren't helping your case comparing women to cows. ðŸ¤”Women are thinking, sentient beings, not livestock.

If it wasn't regressive, the man's family would also be donating their son but they don't, do they? They just take and take and take. How very convenient. 

You are purposefully misunderstanding me to further your case. I merely gave an example of another living being which is considered wealth amd not an object. Just to point out that earlier wealth was not confined to non living objects only. Nowhere have I compared a woman with a cow.

If a son was given in Daan as well, the girls father would take the son to his home and the daughter as per Kanya Daan would go to the guy's home. How would they have their own family together? If there is a ghar damaad type of consent, then I agree Kanya Daan should be replaced with Purush Daan.

HearMeRoar thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: PranPriye

Please guide me towards an Indian ad where any other religion's aspect was criticised. I genuinely seemed to have missed it. How does majority or minority justify wrong and right? It doesn't for me. If it is wrong in all religions, the ad could have shown clippings of all the ceremonies.

Agree about the moksha part. I am merely pointing out that traditionally, the custom of KanyaDaan doesn't have a derogatory meaning (as a way to insult a girl by giving her in Daan) but a positive one as a daughter is considered to be the wealth superior to all materialistic wealth.

Supporters of patriarchy are out in full force, trying to make it a religion issue.

All religions have a history of being problematic with women. India is 80% Hindu. An ad which tackles a minority's issue with women while ignoring the vast majority would look patently ridiculous. As ridiculous as an ad on kanyadaan in the Middle East while ignoring triple talaaq.

And nope. The concept of kanyadaan is very much derogatory. Kanya is considered daddy's property to be donated to husband. The receiving end of the same concept is paraya dhan. That should make it clear how women were and are considered property.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 2 years ago
snatch thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3

we have become like religious fanatic pakistanis. everything is blasphemy for us these days

HearMeRoar thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: monu_tan

Sorry, but your argument is flawed. Saying India is 80% Hindu country so let’s target Hindu festivities and rituals basically means let’s target a religion NOT the anamolies.

Hinduism is all about symbolism, giving away a daughter is celebrated in form of Kanyadaan.  

We have other types of Daan as well in Hindus which includes land, livestock, charity, education, plants, own body etc.  You cannot misappropriate one over another. And there has been ritual to give away boys of a family for the purpose of education, religion and political reasons as well. Daan is just a synonym for Giving Away.

And we do give away girls for marriage. So unless we stop giving away girls in marriage, don’t know how to stop calling it Daan.

Nope. You are prevaricating... adding things I didn't say to make it a religion issue. To reiterate... what I said was focusing on a minority's issue with women while ignoring 80% of the population would actually be ridiculous.

Also, this ad specifically talked about kanyadaan. *You* are trying to tie it to the larger religion and the concept of Daan itself. 

And your concept of symbolism cam be claimed by other religions also. They would also be just as wrong. Because, you see, history of the world. Women have been treated as property from time immemorial. By Hinduism, by Christianity, by Islam, by whichever organized religion you can name. It needs to stop.

Women ain't your property to give away. They are their own people. 

Edited by HearMeRoar - 2 years ago
monu_tan thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: snatch

we have become like religious fanatic pakistanis. everything is blasphemy for us these days

Don’t worry no one will be killed to shoot this ad. We haven’t become Pakistan yet.

And we won’t become, because ppl are only registering their opposition to such acts. Some will boycott also. Some will put long posts on Twitter also.

But it would be all peaceful.

monu_tan thumbnail

Nope. You are prevaricating... adding things I didn't say to make it a religion issue. To reiterate... what I said was focusing on a minority's issue with women while ignoring 80% of the population would actually be ridiculous.

Also, this ad specifically talked about kanyadaan. *You* are trying to tie it to the larger religion and the concept of Daan itself. 

And your concept of symbolism cam be claimed by other religions also. They would also be just as wrong. Because, you see, history of the world. Women have been treated as property from time immemorial. By Hinduism, by Christianity, by Islam, by whichever organized religion you can name. It needs to stop.

Women ain't your property to give away. They are their own people. 

Don’t think u got the point. And I don’t think I have time to make you understand.

I am a feminist too, but won’t jump my guns without looking at the big picture. 

PranPriye thumbnail

Supporters of patriarchy are out in full force, trying to make it a religion issue.

All religions have a history of being problematic with women. India is 80% Hindu. An ad which tackles a minority's issue with women while ignoring the vast majority would look patently ridiculous. As ridiculous as an ad on kanyadaan in the Middle East.

And nope. The concept of kanyadaan is very much derogatory. Kanya is considered daddy's property to be donated to husband. The receiving end of the same concept is paraya dhan. That should make it clear how women were and are considered property.

There is no need to ignore any religion is my point as well. When it comes to right and wrong, I do not see where majority or minority come. You can happily first see Middle East, 80% , etc. before you decode what's right or wrong. Its your choice, not mine.

And nope to you too. 

I have been pretty respectful of expressing my opinion and you have no right to can me a 'supporter of patriarchy'. Just a post back, I agreed on the ill effects of dowry and I do not know which supporter of patriarchy would have a problem with dowry.

I was willing to express the reasons behind my opinion and have a healthy debate if someone felt so by quoting me. I do not agree with personally attacking someone , so if you quote me again, I wont reply to you.