SS - Dil-E-Nadan [The Innocent Heart] (Ch4||Pg2)

Posted: 2 years ago

Hello All,

I rewatched IPKKND very recently and it is then I realized I wanted to write something on them too. So here I am. I ain't sure if there are readers still left but I will give this a try. If you like it. Please support me. 

Ch1 - Pg 1| Ch2 - Pg 1| Ch3 - Pg 1| Ch4 - Pg 2| Ch5 - Pg 

Edited by Asparagus - 2 years ago

Chapter One

‘Was Mama very studious?’ asked Safi. 

She sat on the bed with her cat beside her. It was her reading time but she did not wish to study. Her father had then narrated her mother’s affinity for books.

‘Yes, my dear. She did not miss a single day. Your Mamma was a very studious girl.’ Her father answered, as he continued typing away something on the laptop.

‘Did she come first in her class?’

‘Yes, she always stood first in her class.’

‘What about you, Baba? Mama used to beat you in class?’

‘Yes, Safi. Your Mama was the most intelligent. She would beat your father in everything. Even in sports.’ Arnav did not clarify to his daughter that though he and his wife Lavanya, had been childhood sweethearts, they had never shared the same classrooms. They were best friends and he had been a few months younger than Lavanya and  a class behind her. But it won’t make a good story, so he let his daughter’s imagination take the lead.

Tiny sparkles of joy lit up Safi's eyes. That her mother would beat her unassailable father in academics and sports delighted her to no end. 

She had known her mother for only four years before a silent heart attack had snatched her mother’s breath in the dark of the night. It was through stories from her aunt and father that Safi knew her mother and felt close to her.

‘Baba, did she not go to play with her cat if the cat insisted? Will Mama hate me if I miss my studies just for today?’

‘No, Safi your mother never let anyone distract her from her studies. Be it your father wanting her attention or any other pet. Also, always remember, my dear, that your mother neither can nor ever will hate you. But, if you study daily then definitely she would love you more.’

The seven year old Safi’s round eyes spoke of immense determination as she promised her father to study diligently everyday. It earned her a pat from her father. 

Then, holding up Bella from her stomach, he took the pet off the bed and dropped it on the tiled floor.

‘Bella will have to find other amusements until my daughter finishes her studies.’

‘Now Baba will do his work and Safi will study. After that we will watch a movie.’

An hour and a half later, Arnav logged out from his screen and fixed up a dinner for Safi and himself. Their maid was on sick leave.

Half into the movie, Safi dozed off and he picked her up and put her on the bed. Then, scrolling down media posts, he went off to sleep an hour later.

Thirty two years old, Arnav Singh Raizada was a single father, his wife having passed away three years ago. He had loved Lavanya with all his being and continued to spend every night with his memories. After Lavanya, if he had been able to love anyone with the same intensity or more, it was his daughter. Arnav had an elder sister who was married to a businessman in Dubai. He had a younger brother who had recently tied a knot with his college sweetheart. His parents had passed away a few years ago. 

Professionally, he was the MD and chief executive officer at his family company, Raizada India Ltd. It offered crop protection solutions and hybrid seeds. It also dealt in pesticides, crop sprayers and offered agricultural solutions across various parts of the country.

Juggling between being the head of a company and a father to his daughter, was a challenging job but he tried to give his best. Few people like his family and dear loyal employees helped in easing his path. Gupta Sahab was one such employee, and today was his only daughter’s wedding. Arnav, had gone to visit the young bride and her father in the evening. He had stayed there for a few minutes before taking his leave. Gupta Sahab had served the company for more than thirty years and was retiring only this year. 

Arnav had slept only for an hour when his phone began to ring. 

‘Hello,’ he said. It was Gupta Sahab’s number.

‘H..Helloo,’ a trembling female voice responded.

‘Sir...I...I am Khushi speaking. My father, Mr.Shashi Gupta...he’s very ill..and he wants to see you…’

Arnav did not waste any second in carrying his daughter and dropping her at his friend’s place.

By the time he reached the hospital, his man Friday was already breathing his last.

‘Sir, I have served you well,’ the ailing man said, taking Arnav's hand in his own, ‘Take care of my daughter for me. Do this favour, my lord. I give her responsibility to you, Sir. Protect her, guard her from the evils of the world. I appoint you her guardian.’

Chapter Two

‘If you need anything else, let me know or you can contact Laxmi. She’s our maid. Please feel free to ask for anything. From now, this is going to be your home.’ Arnav stood at the door feeling awkward and out of his element. He wished his sister or his younger brother were here to smooth his gracelessness.

‘Thank you,’ the woman replied.

‘Is the room to your liking?’ He asked again.

‘It is beyond my expectations. You’re a kind host, Sir.’ She looked at him reverentially.

He wondered if he should explain that he was not only the host but her guardian from now on. This was going to be her home as long as she wished it to be.

‘I’ll take your leave then?’

‘Shubh Ratri,’ She whispered, turning away from him.

‘Good night,’ he wished her before walking off to his room. 

Khushi Gupt gently placed her bag on the floor next to one of the legs of the bed. Her eyes took in the room, not registering anything. Her mind subconsciously compared it to the room of her old home, a home that never would be now.

Laying down on the soft bed covered in velvet sheets, her legs dangling from the bed, she stared at the ceiling. For a long time she kept staring at the unmoving blades of the fan. 

A whirring noise from outside put her up and running to the window. A plane zoomed off in the sky.

She had promised her father that she would take him on a plane with her own money. Someday. How naive she had been to think that she had time. Enough time. Now, she would never be able to fulfill the dream.

Now, she would never be able to fulfill any of her dreams. Her life was never going to be the same again.

The next morning, Khushi woke up quite early, unable to adapt into her new surroundings. After her morning ablutions, she prayed and then waited for the light to break in the sky.

At around eight someone knocked on her door. It was Laxmi with morning tea.

‘Good morning. Do you drink tea?’

‘I do, thank you.’ Khushi took the teacup from the elderly woman’s hand.

‘Breakfast is served at nine o’ clock. Please come down.’

When Khushi reached the dining room, she found her host and his daughter already at their chairs.

‘Good morning, Mr.Raizada,' she greeted the man.

‘Good morning, Miss.Gupta,' Arnav greeted back.

To the little girl, who looked at her curiously, she said a soft Hello.

‘Did you have a good night sleep?’

‘Yes, Sir.’ 

Arnav was amused by the way she addressed him. Unable to decide between Sir and Mr.Raizada.

‘Is the breakfast to your liking? If you prefer anything else, you can tell Laxmi Maasi and she’ll make it for you.’

Khushi looked at the parathas, eggs, toast and juice on the table.

‘No, Sir. This would be enough,’ she said before proceeding to serve herself.

While she was still eating, the man’s chair made a scraping noise. She looked up to find that he was picking up his daughter and leaving. She began to get up as well.

‘Don’t bother,’ he waved a hand in the air. ‘We’ll be leaving for the office and school.’

They left and the little girl came back around afternoon, Khushi heard from her room. The man returned late in the evening. Khushi saw them again during dinner.

It became a routine for her then to share two meals with the owner of the house and spend the rest of her time in her room, looking out of the windows. 

When the confinement became too suffocating, she would climb up the stairs to the terrace and walk around it breathing in fresh air.

She wondered if this was how her life was going to be spent. 

Chapter Three

Dearest Nanimaa, 

I hope this letter manages to catch you. It is utterly ridiculous that you refused to take your phone with you. I understand you wanted to do it the old way but you've to think about people who love you and are worried about your health.  I sincerely hope you are well and enjoying your trip. 

Nani, there is something I need to tell you. Gupta Sahab passed away a few days back. He had a daughter whose responsibility he entrusted with me before passing away. 

She is a young woman and I admit I have no idea how to go about it. Morever, I feel she is uncomfortable with only a male companion in the house.

If it is not too much to ask, Nani, Can you cut short your trip and come and live with us? I know it is a selfish thing to do but Nani I am clueless. 

The other day she refused to eat anything and only cried. Laxmi Maasi said it must be grief finally taking her in its clutches. 

I did not know how to console her. 

Bringing up Safi all alone has also become a challenging job.

I know Nani I hurt you last time.  I am really sorry.

Please think about it.

Yours only,

Chote

Brilliant start.

My heart goes out for poor khushi.

Looking forward to read more.❤🙏

chapter 1

Arnav has young Safi to look after but he lost Lavanya. He is a good father.

chapter 2

Shashi is gone and Arnav got the responsibility for Khushi. 

chapter 3

What did Arnav do to hurt nani? Will she come stay?

Thank you for the response!

Chapter Four

'Miss Gupta, how are you feeling today?' Her face and eyes were swollen and she had tried to hide it with cosmetics.

'I am fine now, Sir,' Khushi replied pulling back a chair to sit on it. 'Thank you for your concern and I apologize for causing you an inconvenience. I do not know what came over me.'

'No, Khushi,' He stalled and looked at her uncertainly. 'May I have the permission to use your name?'

'You may, Sir.' 

'You must give yourself some time. And please do not apologize. It's a tragic loss.' 

When Arnav saw her eyes had began to tear up again, he immediately rushed to change the topic.

'How old are you Khushi?'

'Twenty three Sir. I have completed my graduation in Botany.'

'Oh,' He raised his brows. 'That's wonderful. So what are your future plans?'

'I wanted to do M.Sc but Baba had fixed my marriage so I couldn't pursue it.'

'Do you want to pursue it now?'

He watched as she chewed her lips thoughtfully. Her hazel eyes brightened when she reached a conclusion to the dilemma in her mind.

'I want to Sir. I understand my father handed my responsibility to you. However, Sir I do not want to be a burden.'

Placing his hands on the huge oakwood table between them, he assured. 'You're not.'

'Sir, if I could help you with something after my college hours. It would ease my conscience.'

He did not agree immediately. 'Let me think about it. Meanwhile you can apply for M.Sc.'

'Thank you, Sir. Sir, if you don't mind, may I use this library? I assure you I'd be careful not to damage any of these precious books.'

He smiled affectionately and it struck Khushi that his smile was crooked and genial. 

'You may.'

absolutely love how its started! grief seems to be a common factor for both! :)