Posted: 2 years ago

Kumar Gaurav's debut film Love Story released in the year 1981 and went on to become a Blockbuster at the box office. It turned him into an overnight sensation. 

The same happened with Hrithik. Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai turned him into an overnight Superstar. Hrithik didn't remain a one-hit wonder like Kumar Gaurav and went on to have a fulfilling career. 

Hrithik is a Superstar, and the film that made him Superstar was KNPH, which is his debut film. Can we say Kumar Gaurav too became a Superstar with just his debut film Love Story? Even though after that he didn't have anything else?

Can we say that Kumar Gaurav was a Superstar even if it was just for a feeeble moment? Rajesh Khanna had his peak only for 6 years but that still got him the title of Bollywood's first Superstar. 

And once you get the title of Superstar, it remains with you forever till the the time people remember you. Amitabh Bachchan would always remain a legend even if he's no longer a crowd puller. 

So basically, can we say that Kumar Gaurav was a Superstar?

Edited by AwaamKiJaan - 2 years ago

Yes as he was an overnight superstar

I have seen his debut movie..I think he became a hit overnight is what i heard ..during that year i wonder what the craze was like for him? But it looks like that was it he wouldn't be classified as a superstar as he never had a big hit again.

Wasn't his film Naam also a big hit? Although Sanjay was in the limelight for his role more than Kumar.

What's similar between him and Hrithik is that nobody expected their first films to create so much impact. They became overnight superstars from complete unknowns. Kumar Gaurav couldn't sustain his initial success from Love Story. So his superstardom post Love story can't be challenged though it didn't last long. At the height of his craze, his stardom was of the level of Rajesh Khanna's though it took Rajesh a bunch of continuous hits(and years of hard work) to reach the peak.

He was in Smita Patil's last movie Aaj as her mentally challenged brother and the protagonist in Mahesh Bhatt's fictional biography Janam -the sequel to Pooja Bhatt- Kunal Khemu starrer Zakhm. Again KG produced Naam and co-acted in it with his brother-in-law Sanjay Dutt. Another coincidence is that Dutt and Gaurav debuted in the same year. Both directed by their star fathers Sunil Dutt and Rajendra Kumar. Dutt's film tanked. But he had the longer career.

Edited by capricornrcks - 2 years ago

Amit Kumar -the son of Kishore Kumar was known at one time as the voice of Kumar Gaurav though the former sang for most of the popular heroes. When KG's career tanked Amit's sank along with him.Here's a popular song from the 80s by the duo with pretty Poonam Dhillon.

Ye Zameen Ga Raha Hai - Teri Kasam (1982)

https://youtu.be/xVUyN-CqsFU

Originally posted by capricornrcks

Another coincidence is that Dutt and Gaurav debuted in the same year. Both directed by their star fathers Sunil Dutt and Rajendra Kumar. Dutt's film tanked. But he had the longer career.

Love Story was not directed by Rajendra Kumar.

Rocky was a super hit. 

Jab pata na ho toh bona zaruri hai kya. 

Edited by Softness - 2 years ago

I just realised that Rakesh Roshan used the same formula for KNPH that he had already used in Karan Arjun.. tried and tested formula….

For some reason we Indians have an affinity for punah janam or doppelgänger inteqaam  stories..

No wonder most Indian tv shows don’t have an expiration date 😆

I had never heard of Gaurav.. lemme c

Originally posted by Softness

Love Story was not directed by Rajendra Kumar.

Rocky was a super hit. 

Jab pata na ho toh bona zaruri hai kya. 

Rajendra Kumar is credited as the director of Love Story. Rahul Rawail left before completing the movie and Rajendra Kumar stepped in to complete the movie. Next time check the original source -the movie itself. And if you want to live in your bubble that Rocky was a super hit feel free. Dutt's biography by Yasser Usman acknowledges that Rocky didn't do well and got poor reviews. I'm giving you Sanjay Dutt's own words from an interview as quoted by the author.

"Unfortunately, the film did not work well, but at that time it was hardly a part of us, we were stunned by the shock of mom's death."