Posted: 2 years ago

Bell Bottom reviews- post here 

Edited by priya185 - 2 years ago

Bellbottom Review {4.0/5} & Review Rating

BELLBOTTOM is an espionage thriller, inspired by a true event. On August 24, 1984, ICC 691 flight takes off from Delhi and gets hijacked. This is the 5th hijack in 7 years. In the past, the hijackers landed their plane in Lahore, Pakistan, after which the Pakistani authorities negotiated and managed to get a safe release for the passengers. This time, too, the flight moves to Lahore. Prime Minister of India, Indira Gandhi (Lara Dutta) is all set to negotiate. But she is stopped by a RAW agent, Anshul Malhotra aka Bell Bottom (Akshay Kumar). He has done extensive research on the past hijack operations. He is confident that ISI is the mastermind of the hijack episode. Indira Gandhi and her core team at first doesn’t believe him. But he proves it to them the truth. Indira Gandhi then gets a call from the President of Pakistan, Zia-ul-Haq, to ask Indira if he can go ahead with the negotiations. On the advise of Bell Bottom, Indira tells Zia-ul-Haq not to negotiate. The Pakistan President is taken aback by this conduct. The ISI then sends one of their best men, Daljeet Singh aka Doddy (Zain Khan Durrani) to take over the hijack operation from Lahore. For Bell Bottom, Doddy is someone he personally detests and with whom he has a past. What happens next, forms the rest of the film.

Aseem Arrora and Parveez Shaikh's story is fantastic and well researched. It also tells about an important event in history which many might not know about. Aseem Arrora and Parveez Shaikh's screenplay is effective and tight. However, the film could have been tighter in the first half. The dialogues are simple and some of them will create frenzy in cinemas. But a few technical dialogues might go bouncer for the mass audiences.

Ranjit M Tewari's direction is supreme and he seems in great form as compared to what he was in his last film LUCKNOW CENTRAL [2017]. He tries his best to keep the film as simple and gripping as possible. He also keeps in mind that it’s a commercial film which needs to work pan India. In this regard, he comes out with flying colours. The first half is where the build up happens and here the film is devoid of action or tensed moments. Yet, he attempts to ensure that audiences have a gala time. He reserves the best for the second half with the climax being the best part of enterprise. On the flipside, the first half, though interesting, could have been better. Also, it’s a 3D film but it doesn’t have the typical 3D effects.

BELL BOTTOM starts off with the hijack episode. The entry of Akshay Kumar is superb. The flashback portion are fine; it might seem to halt the narrative but it helps audiences in understanding Bell Bottom’s past and why he joined RAW in the first place. The intermission point is clapworthy. The second half is where the agents reach Dubai airport and try their best to succeed in their mission. A few places, the film slips and drags but it picks up very well in the middle of the second hour. Two twists in the tale at this point adds to the fun.

Akshay Kumar is in top form, as expected. He looks dashing and gives a subtle yet massy performance. Lara Dutta is the first one to be credited in the opening credits and she surely is one of the strengths of the film. Her scenes are dramatic and she gives her best. Vaani Kapoor is lovely in a small but significant role. Huma Qureshi is fair, but her character seems half-baked without back story. Zain Khan Durrani is great as the antagonist. Adil Hussain is first-rste, while Denzil Smith gets no scope. Dolly Ahluwalia (Bell Bottom’s mother) is adorable. Mamik Singh (Aashu) is okay.

Vaani EXCLUSIVE on Bell Bottom: “Akshay Kumar & the production, they were GOOD at handling…”

Music doesn’t fit well into the film. ‘Khair Maang De’ and ‘Marjaawaan’ are visually great. 'Sakhiyan 2.0' is not there in the film. 'Dhoom Tara’ is like the theme song and enhances several scenes.

Daniel B George's background score is exhilarating and also has the vintage feel. Parvez Shaikh's action is limited but it is impactful. Amit Ray and Subrata Chakraborty's production design is reminiscent of the bygone era. Costumes are realistic. The ones worn by Vaani are appealing. VFX is overall satisfactory though a few scenes are not as real. Chandan Arora's editing is neat.

On the whole, BELL BOTTOM is a complete entertainer meant for the big screen. Kudos to Akshay Kumar, Vashu Bhagnani and the entire team for pulling off a film of this scale in the pandemic and also releasing it when cinemas haven’t opened everywhere. Definitely a step forward as far as the revival of the film industry is concerned.

https://www.bollywoodhungama.com/movie/bell-bottom/critic-review/bell-bottom-movie-review/bell-bottom-is-a-complete-entertainer-meant-for-the-big-screen/

Akshay Kumar, Lara Dutta Bhupathi, Huma Qureshi and Vaani Kapoor 

Ever since the poster of Akshay Kumar‘s Bell Bottom was released, I was looking forward to watching this film. Later on, the trailer and songs from the film only raised the anticipation for me. Another thing that impressed me about the film was the way Lara Dutta Bhupathi got into the character of Late Smt. Indira Gandhi. I must say the makers have lived up to the promising glimpses of the film.

For those who don’t know Bell Bottom is an action thriller based on the real-life hijackings in India by the Khalistan separatists. Other than Akshay Kumar, the film also stars Vaani Kapoor, Lara Dutta Bhupathi, Huma Qureshi, and Adil Hussain in prominent roles. The film is directed by Ranjit Tiwari and produced by Vashu Bhagnani, Jackky Bhagnani, and Deepshikha Deshmukh of Pooja Entertainment along with Nikkhil Advani of Emmay Entertainment.

Bell Bottom is slated to release on the 19th of August. Check out the film’s trailer here:

Here’s what I liked about Bell Bottom:

1. Lara Dutta Bhupathi’s portrayal as Indira Gandhi

Lara left everyone amazed when her look from the film was revealed for the very first time. And while a character like this usually comes with a lot of baggage, it seems like Lara has lived up to the expectations. She is simply fabulous at essaying the late Prime Minister’s role. Her body language, nuances, and demeanor are on point. Not once will you feel that you are watching Lara on screen, she will make you feel like you’re watching the OG Indira Gandhi throughout. This role is surely another feather in Lara’s hat.

2. Huma Qureshi and Adil Hussain are the other gems in the film

Even though Huma has a brief role of a secret agent in the film, she totally does justice to it. Her role adds weightage to the storyline. Adil on the other hand is quite impressive as an officer of the RAW and Akshay Kumar’s boss. Like always, Adil is pushing the envelope with this one too. Well, let me not forget, Adil delivers some amazing ‘seeti-maar‘ dialogues in the film.

3. Akshay Kumar shines once again as Bell Bottom

Bell Bottom is Akshay’s code word in the film where he is seen playing a RAW agent and let me tell you that the actor will leave you impressed with his heroic performance. While this is Akshay’s forte, to watch him enact the part is a delight in itself. Together with Adil, Akshay also delivers some witty lines which you surely take note of.

Things that could have been better in the film:

1. The pace and back-forth sequence of the storyline

In the first half of the film, there is a lot of back and forth in the storyline which makes it a little difficult to keep a track of what is happening. Also, the pace of the film is a little slow in the first half, however, it picks up soon.

2. The Climax of the film could have been better

While the second half of the film is gripping, the build-up to the climax is just brilliant. However, just when you are at the edge of your seat waiting for something big to happen, it’s already over. Yes, the film’s climax is short-lived, a little more confrontation could have added to the thrill.

3. Vaani Kapoor’s character is underplayed

Even though Vaani Kapoor adds the final twist to the story (which you will find out when you watch the film), I wanted to see more of her. Considering the amazing performances the actress has given in her previous films, in this one, her role surely needed a little more gravitas. Despite lesser screen time, Vaani’s performance cannot go unnoticed.

On the whole, I am quite impressed with Bell Bottom and I would like to give it 3.5 stars. You need to watch this film at least once.

Co-written by: Nawaz Kochra

https://www.missmalini.com/2021/08/18/bell-bottom-review-akshay-kumar-lara-dutta-adil-hussain-shine-in-this-rescue-mission/

miss Malini review sorry its not copying and pasting

Edited by priya185 - 2 years ago

Great reviews, I’m excited!

Akshay Kumar

@akshaykumar

·

Thank you so much Brother,means a lot 🤗 I pray Maharashtra opens up soon and you’d also able to watch it🤞🏻Would love to know your thoughts.

Quote Tweet

Ajay Devgn

@ajaydevgn

· 2h

Dear Akki, I’ve been hearing good reviews of Bell Bottom. Congratulations 🎉 Also, your leap of faith in making it a theatrical release is praiseworthy. With you in this👍🏼@akshaykumar#BellBottom

I want to wait for some more reviews to decide I want to watch in theater or on OTT later..

All the best to the team... 

KRKBOXOFFICE

@KRKBoxOffice

Film #BellBottom got very good opening of 5% all over India in the morning shows. The best theatre in North India #PVR at Chandigarh sold 17 tickets in the morning show.

12:37 PM · Aug 19, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Quote Tweets

Watching rn. Can't decide whose nose looks more comical between lara dutta and vani. 

Morning occupancy lower than jhanvi starrer roohi lol 😂 TikTok star mass 🔥