Kareena Kapoor overrated: not more than 13 hits in 20 year career? - Page 4

Posted: 2 years ago
Originally posted by desigal90

I'm just curious. I definitely agree connections help with debut and even the first 1-2 years. But 20 years because of family? All her "connections" are made on her own. The Khans, whom she worked with the most are hardly her family. The Kapoor family didn't produce a single film for her. Yet Hrithik is celebrated as a superstar without nepotism and his father not only launched him but produced some of his biggest hits. 

Because people thirst for Hrithik. He also has box-office success which female actors don't so they are not taken as seriously.

The first years are the most important part, though. Getting a debut itself is huge and outsiders are hardly ever able to get even a first movie. Connections keep giving you chance after chance after chance. Abhishek is still hanging around. Even Esha Deol is about to make a comeback. Hrithik also would never have made it without his family. He is far too timid and lazy for a cutthroat industry. If he was a normal person, he would have been chewed up and spit out even before he was able to get his first movie. Looks alone don't matter. There are loads of model-handsome men in Mumbai who get nowhere. 

I actually think Kareena had more of a chance than Hrithik even if she was an outsider. She is a go-getter, shrewd, hard-working and has a personality that always keeps everyone interested. Even when she was flopping, she stayed afloat because of all the crazy things she used to say. Even now she does a massive amount of PR about her relationship and kids to keep herself in the news 24/7. People might act snooty about her tactics but they help her always stay relevant. 

Originally posted by desigal90

I'm just curious. I definitely agree connections help with debut and even the first 1-2 years. But 20 years because of family? All her "connections" are made on her own. The Khans, whom she worked with the most are hardly her family. The Kapoor family didn't produce a single film for her. Yet Hrithik is celebrated as a superstar without nepotism and his father not only launched him but produced some of his biggest hits. 

I don't. Hrithik himself is a mediocre actor IMO

Hrithik, Rani, Kajol are also product of Nepotism just like Kareena and are successful as have some talent. Among them she is the worst one.

It would be living in delusion if you think that all these connections were made on her own.

Bollywood is a very close knit family business and these star kids are just enjoying their entitlement.

Originally posted by hotchoco

Because people thirst for Hrithik. He also has box-office success which female actors don't so they are not taken as seriously.

The first years are the most important part, though. Getting a debut itself is huge and outsiders are hardly ever able to get even a first movie. Connections keep giving you chance after chance after chance. Abhishek is still hanging around. Even Esha Deol is about to make a comeback. Hrithik also would never have made it without his family. He is far too timid and lazy for a cutthroat industry. If he was a normal person, he would have been chewed up and spit out even before he was able to get his first movie. Looks alone don't matter. There are loads of model-handsome men in Mumbai who get nowhere. 

I actually think Kareena had more of a chance than Hrithik even if she was an outsider. She is a go-getter, shrewd, hard-working and has a personality that always keeps everyone interested. Even when she was flopping, she stayed afloat because of all the crazy things she used to say. Even now she does a massive amount of PR about her relationship and kids to keep herself in the news 24/7. People might act snooty about her tactics but they help her always stay relevant. 

That was a pure example of privilege which an outsider can't even think of. Bipasha completely overshadowed her in Ajnabee but still see who is still in limelight.

Now coming to her tactics with kids. - Highly insensitive for the majority population - Again the privileged syndrome 

Originally posted by TMKOC_MY

I don't. Hrithik himself is a mediocre actor IMO

Hrithik, Rani, Kajol are also product of Nepotism just like Kareena and are successful as have some talent. Among them she is the worst one.

It would be living in delusion if you think that all these connections were made on her own.

Bollywood is a very close knit family business and these star kids are just enjoying their entitlement.

yes, but at the end of the day, they're all very selfish. No producers is gonna look twice and give anyone chances if they're aren't benefiting or getting something in return. Apart from the initial launch when these starkids used to get publicity for being so and so's daughter, sister etc, producers aren't doing charity and just gonna keep giving the same starkid films for 20 years. Kareena brings something to the table. Look at her fan following for god's sake. She has some of the most followed fanclubs on social media despite not being on social media for the longest time. Producers see that. When she was doing badly in her career, these Karan Johars and Chopras also abandoned her. 2002 to 2005 was her doing basically off beat cinema like Dev, Yuva, Chameli, Omkara. There was a Priyandarshan and Abbas Mustan hit with Aitraaz and hulchul so they repeated her. 

These "connections" returned when she hit the big league with jab We met. And that's well earned 

Edited by desigal90 - 2 years ago
Originally posted by hotchoco

I don't think people realize how few hits everyone has, not just Kareena. Everyone has a pathetic success ratio with more flops than hits including most of the male stars. Look at the filmography of someone like Akshay Kumar - he has like 50 or 60 flops if I'm not mistaken. 

50/60 is just 90s ðŸ˜†

More than that even

I think most actors/actresses have had more failure than success

13 hit is small?! Ash, Rani, PZ, PC or Vidya doesn't fare any better.

Also that's her USP no? She manages to stay afloat despite all her flops and whatnot. Being hit when you have hit films should be easy. Being hit when  all your films are flopping is more difficult to attain, right?

Commercial success/failure of her films doesn't matter.

But her "20 years lead-actress career" is seriously overrated. She is not the first actress to achieve that feat. Rekha achieved that feat WAY BEFORE her.smiley14

Had Madhuri continued working 2 years more post Devdas, she would have completed her 20 years milestone too.

She had a few hits here between 2000-2006 but the audience didn't take Kareena seriously until Jab We Met which was 2007.

After that her career escalated by leaps and bounds for a number of reasons..

-- She debuted quite young and peaked at the right time (2007).

-- So she got bracketed with Priyanka/Vidya/Katrina/Deepika among the "new generation" of actresses.

-- while most of her actual counterparts (Amisha/Esha/Shamita/Isha/Rimi etc) became irrelevant by 2007.

-- she cashed-in A LOT by starring opposite all Khans/Akshay/Ajay (who were once Lolo's co-stars)

-- She has always had strong (if not best) inside connections.
-- total demise of Rani/Preeti's career around 2007 time reduced her competition completely. Aish also started to fade by then.

So she is not overrated just because of her "13 hits", there are several other reasons.smiley36

Edited by diasingh2 - 2 years ago

Kareena was always a media made star and a diva known more for personal life or controversies than any work as actor.

She never had BO power like Karishma had in 90s. Her ATBB Raja Hindustani is entirely dominated by her. 

Even her hits are mostly as flower pot in multi starrers or male dominated films like 3 Idiots. 

She was never a draw at BO. No power to pull audience to theatres on her own name. No looks or iconic songs and dances. 

Her only memorable film is JWM which she carried on her shoulders and which made news due to her and Shahid's break up. 

Otherwise nothing relevant. 

She and her husband are masters of manipulating media and seeking attention which reflects in how she marketed even her pregnancy and named her kids. 

If she was not a Kapoor and did not marry into Pataudi family she would be as irrelevant as Asin after marriage. 

Kareena is like her gen's Kajol..good actress but never explored her full potential..was content doing safe and regular films which guaranteed hits..preferred to work in comfort zone with known people..

But, Thankfully, did few different and remarkable films that would make the audience notice their brilliance and seal the good actress tag. 

People like Rani and Karishma coz they did more films, had more hits and showed more versatility..they consider the other two limited.

But for me Kajol and Kareena r better actresses by miles compared to their respective sisters..they just chose to work on their terms, in their comfort zone and were led by their heart..

Adding: both are perceived to be arrogant, entitled loudmouths but r good at managing and maintaining relationships 

Edited by niyati13 - 2 years ago

Please. Rani and Karishma are anyday more capable, talented and versatile, hard-working, risk takers than overrated Kajol and Kareena.

I can never imagine Kajol do Black and Mardaani. Or Kareena manage Zubeida, Fiza, Dhanwaan (Lolo nailed that character of sickly, overprotected, hypochondriac, childlike girl). Kareena can NEVER ever match steps with Govinda the way Karishma did. Karishma matched Govinda's dance and comic timing at a time when others were afraid to dance with Govinda and heroines were barely known for comic timing.  Kareena would never fit in Andaz Apna Apna either the way Karishma brought a childlike innocence to the role. 

Karishma worked way too hard despite no support from her family or media or big banners. Chopras cast her way later in 1997. Whereas Kareena and Kajol have always relied on big banners and big stars. 

Karishma held her own in Jeet, Raja Hindustani, Biwi No. 1 and overshadowed male superstars like Sunny Deol, Salman Khan, Aamir Khan no less. Whereas Kareena has mostly been flower pot and the only male star she overshadowed were likes of Bobby, Tusshar and Shahid in Ajnabee, MKKH, JWM. Never had calibre to overshadow Khans or match steps with Govinda and appeal to classes and masses alike.

Karishma overshadowed everyone in HSSH as well while Kareena avoids multi starrers with other heroines (after her debut year when she did K3G and Ajnabee). Karishma overshadowed Tabu in Jeet, Saajan Chale sasural also. She overshadowed none other than Madhuri Dixit in DTPH. I wonder if Kareena is even capable to match steps with Tabu, Madhuri, Khans, Govinda, let alone overshadow them. Karishma owned Zubeida despite Manoj Bajpai and Rekha also starring in that film. 

Amusing if anyone calls Kareena superior to Karishma in any department be it looks or talent or success and stardom. The only thing Bebo is better at is PR. Unlike Lolo whose work did all the talking. Kareena will never win National award for acting the way Karishma did. No such range or ability in her performances.