Old wine in a new bottle or new wine in the old familiar bottle?

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 2 years ago

I am a huge a fan of Balika Vadhu. Watched the show for 8 years non stop and it was the only Hindi show which I watched from beginning till the end(The show ended for me when Anandi died along with the departure of whole creative team of the show after irreconcilable differences with the channel team).

When Rangeela announced that they will come back with season 2 I was quite sceptical because in general season 2s  of fiction series don't really work well on Indian Television.Rangeela's desperate situation made me even more sceptical.

I tuned into the first episode to see the creative team credentials. I was pleasantly surprised to see the two names that made Balika Vadhu what it was; Mr Purnendu Shekhar and Ms Gajra Kottary. These two when worked as a team they gave many successful critically acclaimed shows in the past. It was also very heartening to see Mr Pradeep Yadav's name as director of the series.Missed Mr Sidharth Sengupta though.

Performances were good but obviously they were not as good as the performances from season 1.

The writers seem to have created some interesting characters though. Hope they come up with some good stories to tell through those characters.

It was also refreshing to see the story being told through actors' performances, the dialogues and  their emoting abilities body language instead of the staple of Indian TV shows the voiceover narration telling the viewers what's happening.

Watched 3 episodes so far on the VOOT. The good doctor seems to have taken the place Anandi's teacherji😊

But a bit of subtlety is needed especially on the narration front. They seemed to be going overboard when it comes to making their point on issues like infertility and the stigma attached to it.

It's interesting that the families of the two friends  see the child as more of factor to make their friendship stronger rather than just a child whose birth should be celebrated.

The actress playing Khadvi Baa is trying too hard to be another Dadisa. Well there can only be one Dadisa that is Surekhaji. No body can match her.

Leela and her husband make for another interesting story too.

Something tells me there will be rift between the two families

As long as the channel team let the creative team tell the story they want to tell in the way they want to tell I'm sure they will come up with a good show. 

Bottom line - This Anandi will be no 2 always because the orginal Balika Vadhu and Anandi the trail blazers.This show however good it may turn out to be it will only be taking the path was built by the Original Anandi and Balika Vadhu,

Wish the team all the best.

Posted: 2 years ago

Great analysis 

But coming to OTT part , I would say they have done that to show  how we Gujju people are in general.

Its always like loud and open in everything.

So when watching BV2 we need to bit keep it away from BV1 Rajasthani setup as here in Gujarati Setup it will always look over the top and loud yet maintaing the subtlety