Rehnaa Hai Terre Dil Mein Vs Mujhe Kucch Kehna Hai - Better film?

Poll

Which is a better film in your opinion?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
PangaNaLe thumbnail
Own Your Stories Participant 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 2 years ago

Rehnaa Hai Terre Dil Mein and Mujhe Kucch Kehna Hai were two films which both released in 2001. Both films starred newcomers. 

RHTDM was the debut of R. Madhavan and Dia Mirza in Bollywood. Mujhe Kucch Kehna Hai was the debut of Tusshar Kapoor while Kareena Kapoor was also just one film old. Both films were remakes of South movies. Both films also had a great soundtrack with chartbuster and soulful songs

Talking about the plot, both films are about a guy falling in love with a girl and the entire story is about him trying to win her love with the help of his friends and family. 

Now talking about the differences, RHTDM flopped at the box office but went on to become a cult classic in later years. Mujhe Kucch Kehna Hai was a Super-Hit but was never considered a classic or a great film in anyway.

MKKH hero Karan is a guy who obviously has a low self-esteem due to which he feels really difficult to express his feelings for Pooja (Kareena). He thinks she's out of his league and would never consider him more than just a friend.

The whole film is about him trying to say it to Pooja that he loves her but till the end he couldn't. But Pooja in the end realizes it herself that he loves her and she loves him too. Director wanted to show them being in love as a giant elephant in the room that they didn't even need to express.

But the whole film is so much from Karan's POV that it never seems like Pooja loves him too or considers him more than a friend. It feels like illuminati that Pooja realizes it herself. 

Although the plus point of MKKH is that it's not a problematic film overall. The hero is not an MCP but him struggling to propose throughout the film does gets in audience nerves though it's more of the fault in the direction. 

It sends some good messages as well like not to sacrifice your career for love when Karan in the end convinces Pooja to leave for abroad as he has trust and confidence in his love. Also when Karan does the "stupidity" of writing a letter to Pooja with his blood, the movie calls out such toxic ways of expressing love as nothing more than idiocy.

RHTDM on the other hand is a technically more superior film and makes a more smooth watch even as a repeat. But it has many problematic aspects. The hero of the film Maddy is a misogynist. He stalks Reema (Dia) like a creep and stalker and its shown as romantic. She lies to her and it's shown as justified. 

When rejected by her he acts like a victim and does some stupid shit like trying to mutilate her fiance Rajeev. So why is this film a cult classic? Because it feels really natural and realistic (apart from the love at first sight crap) along with entertaining in it's treatment. 

The characters and their interactions feel real and not staged. That made it relatable with the audience. The movie also shows a generation of people who didn't really get a focus when the film came out. Songs in the film don't pop out of nowhere but are actually interlinked with the plot and the emotions the lead characters are feeling. 

So the movie was a musical done right like Hollywood.

Well... don't listen to what I'm saying and personally tell which film you like more and why?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Moodyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

I hated Maddy's character in rhtdm. His audacity to act like a victim, spilling his tears everywhere was too much. Dude, you manipulated her atleast own up your mistakes. That is the reason i cannot stand that movie

Otherwise music, acting, direction wise RHTDM was a superior movie.

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

you're asking to choose between a film glorifying a coward and a film glorifying a toxic, manipulative bully?

I think both films were flawed and hardly had any redeeming qualities.

However, I choose RHTDM because of the music and the direction. It did keep me happy at that time, when I didn't have the vocabulary to express what was wrong with it. Perks of being a 16 yr old.

PangaNaLe thumbnail
Originally posted by: mintyblue

you're asking to choose between a film glorifying a coward and a film glorifying a toxic, manipulative bully?

However, I choose RHTDM because of the music and the direction. It did keep me happy at that time, when I didn't have the vocabulary to express what was wrong with it. Perks of being a 16 yr old.

Glorifying a coward?😆

Let me guess. If a hero is not the perfect boyfriend/husband material according to you, he's being glorified.😆

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Muje kuch kehna Hai

Kareena was looking so good 

simplyrdb thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Mujhe Kuch Kehna Hai 

If not for Tushar Kapoor and his utter lack of currency with the current generation (or the generation before), a total failure of a career, this shouldn't even be a debate. 

The fact that 'Despite' Tushar' presence one even thought of the film or this comparison, or that a few still remember the songs, makes it even more obvious concerning the 'better' content. 

Maddy and Gautam Menon (the director) are still relevant, proven actor and director, respectively. So, even if the film is problematic or a failure (commercially), it is bound to survive, even if a handful of people like it. 

It is a thumb rule in the online world, a flop movie of a star is a cult film and if it's a hit, then a classic. If not immediately, then in due course for sure.  

PangaNaLe thumbnail

Tusshar Kapoor movie is winning. 

loginidran thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

How is Kareena’s character a coward in MKKH? 

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: cutejodikangal

How is Kareena’s character a coward in MKKH? 

I was talking about Tushshar's character

loginidran thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

I was talking about Tushshar's character

Was obviously kidding. :)

But Tushar’s character wasn’t a coward either. He was childish agreed, but coward how?