Posted: 2 years ago

this film would be a hit if aired on theaters❤

Originally posted by Lord_Voldemort

The movie started off a predictable and boring note (or may be because I had seen so much of the story in the trailer itself, the narrative here didn't particularly interest me). The actual drama only begins in the second half.

The first half is mostly dry, with a couple of chuckles here and there thanks to Pankaj Tripathi. Another highlight song is the Param Sundari track, it is mesmerizing to watch, it would have been epic on the big screen.

The writing of the other characters is quite weak. Especially her family, you never understand how they are. It's a bit unrealistic that they are so understanding with every lie that Mimi says. Thoda toh conflict dikhao. The fact that they readily accept everything - nahh, not buying it. These characters should have been sketched better. They only appear like props to me.

I also felt Kriti's performance was quite flat. I couldn't help but think how someone like a Parineeti would have elevated this role and pulled off a much more compelling performance. Or even an Anushka.

Pankaj Tripathi is the only one who delivered a noteworthy performance.

A couple of spoilers from here:

Why does the kid speak in a gora accent even though he was brought up completely in a small Rajasthani town?

How does the angrezi couple go from taking legal action to gain the custody of their child to letting him go and adopting another girl? The change of heart happens way too fast and is shown hurriedly. Same with how quickly Kriti goes from fighting for her son to giving him up.

I wish the first half was dealt with a little faster and they spent more time detailing out the characters and stretching out the drama a little bit.

Overall, it's an average fare... 2.5 stars. 

I completely agree with your review. I was really disappointed with no character development writing for her parents or her best friend. There was no one here, in her immediate circle that really talked sense or someone she confide with about why she felt she needed to give up her child. The film makers showed a discussion on the topic where everyone is on the page but Mimi is all on her own. It just didn't add up.

Yeah, the whole ending felt completely rushed to give everyone a happy ending. I like Pankaj T as an actor but I couldn't understand why he took up the this role. His character made less and less sense when he was paid his commission. He's client were John and Summer, so to stick around for Mimi made very little to no sense.

Originally posted by Mages

this film would be a hit if aired on theaters❤

True. Imagine what it would have done to kriti's career. 

Watching it today..how i wish it was in a cinema 😣

Originally posted by MainHooYeha

I completely agree with your review. I was really disappointed with no character development writing for her parents or her best friend. There was no one here, in her immediate circle that really talked sense or someone she confide with about why she felt she needed to give up her child. The film makers showed a discussion on the topic where everyone is on the page but Mimi is all on her own. It just didn't add up.

Yeah, the whole ending felt completely rushed to give everyone a happy ending. I like Pankaj T as an actor but I couldn't understand why he took up the this role. His character made less and less sense when he was paid his commission. He's client were John and Summer, so to stick around for Mimi made very little to no sense.

If you paid attention, it was addressed in the movie itself. His clients pay him to be with Mimi and make sure she is nurtured/monitored properly so that she has a healthy pregnancy. And then by the time they run away, he gets attached to her because according to him - he is a driver and it’s his call of duty to make sure that the people who board his vehicle reach their destination.

It was a good film. My dad usually can't sit through 3 hour Hindi films. But for first time we managed to watch the whole film without much forwarding. While it may have deserved a theatrical release, I'm glad they released on Netflix. I and my dad had a good time sitting together comfortably on our sofa and enjoyed the film. Bonded well due to the film. It was not flawless but still a good watch. Kriti was good as Mimi and most of the cast did a great job. Pankaj as Bhanu was definitely our favourite of all. My dad laughed so much in those scenes when Bhanu had to pretend as a Muslim and was confronted by Shama's father. Sai Thamhankar as Shama is another favourite. Music was awesome, I'm not surprised I liked it. ARR is one of the few original MDs we have in BW today. It feels good hearing original tracks among remixed songs these days. Param Sundari was awesome but my pick was definitely Rihaayi De.

Ofcourse it's not flawless as there are quite a number of loopholes and the second half and especially climax feels very rushed. The first half hour or so was also boring it almost made us switch to another film. It only picked up for us after Mimi agreed to the surrogacy although we did enjoy Bhanu's comic efforts to make her agree. Like someone mentioned, there wasn't much of character development for any of the characters to be frank except for Bhanu and Mimi. Felt like the other characters had to take a back seat for the star actors of the film. While I said I enjoyed Kriti's acting, I still feel the character would have been better with another capable actress. If this was made in the 90s or early 2000s then I think Preity or Rani would have aced the role even better. It would have been great if they had spent some time developing on the bond between Mimi and Raj, and Raj and the rest of his family people. I don't understand his weird accent as well. He was born and brought up in a Hindi speaking household why did he speak with an accent I don't know. The storyline of Summer and John was not my favourite and the actors felt out of place for me too. Especially Summer, the actress wasn't convincing for me. Less said about the actor who played John the better. But he looked good for sure. 

Overall it's still a good film and worth the watch. It did feel like the film was better than most of the crap that came out of BW in a long time. Would highly recommend if you are looking for a film to spend time with your parents at home on a lazy weekend or unmotivated weekday (if you are on leave and not your working day that is).

Edited by rudding - 2 years ago

I liked it. 
good movie with a good msg. 

OMG..whattay movie

I absolutely loved it. It moved me and i was all teary towards the end. Such a feel good..emotional yet fun movie. 

Kriti...you are one of the best from the current lot. Whattay performance. You literally became mimi. Pankaj was brilliant as always. Surpriya and the dad were too cute. Liked the one who played the friend too. The foreign couple were also equally good and very natural and not forced like most foreigners end up looking in BW movies

This is after ages such a movie has come from BW. It deserves all the love it is getting. 

I think she should have given the son to the couple bc they would have given him much better future than Mimi in Gujarat and did the kid have down syndrome or was it a false alarm?

Originally posted by InspectorShirke

I think she should have given the son to the couple bc they would have given him much better future than Mimi in Gujarat and did the kid have down syndrome or was it a false alarm?

false alarm 

Originally posted by InspectorShirke

Hain, how? What if ,God forbid, something else comes about and they run from Raj like they did before? People in Gujarat live great, some of them even go on to become the Prime Minister of the country. #justsaying.