Mehndi Hai Rachne Wali

Raghvi FF: Hooked (Part 7/7) - Complete - Updated Pg 17

ShyNomad thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Hi all,

For some reason still writing about these two. This is my attempt at redoing the circumstances of their marriage, so it is a bit more palatable even if still wildly unrealistic. It will be slower in the beginning - hopefully things speed up soon. Thanks for reading.

Hooked

you fit into me

By Margaret Atwood

you fit into me

like a hook into an eye

a fish hook

an open eye

Maybe it was the phone call that started it all, she thinks. The call came as she was making her way home from the shop. Dark clouds hung low overhead, threatening all day to release a torrent of rain. The release would have been a relief from the suffocating air that was thick with humidity. But they could only wait for the downpour.

Pallavi could barely hear Nikhil’s voice over the din of the street, but the fear in his tone made her stop in her tracks - something was very, very wrong. She wasn’t sure how she made it to the police station, looking at Nikhil through the iron bars of his jail cell. He had been crying; his eyes were red and his face blotchy, but he looked otherwise unharmed.

He grabbed her hands and pleaded with her, Didi, Didi, and she was able to piece together something about a customs officer and smuggling and please help. Nothing she was hearing made sense, but she was sure there had been some mistake. Determined to set things straight, she lit into the inspector on duty. He was a middle-aged portly man who looked all too comfortable leaning back in his chair as he laughed in the face of her anger.

They had evidence, he said. Proof that Nikhil was attempting to smuggle goods past customs and if she wanted to do anything for him, she should leave and find a good lawyer who would be willing to take on the case of a criminal smuggler. Then he chuckled and went back to his paperwork, leaving her frozen in disbelief. Nikhil was too distraught to confirm or deny any of this, but kept repeating something about only trying to help, please help

Pallavi felt utterly alone standing in the middle of the bustling station, Nikhil’s pleading eyes never leaving hers. Calling their family was out of the question. And a lawyer…lawyers were expensive, and she had so little cash as it was, with the bills she had just paid to keep her shop in business…

Her thoughts went to Raghav Rao.

As she stepped into the auto and gave the address for his mansion on a hill, thunder rumbled overhead.

------------------------------

She appeared before him, defiance written in the sharp angle of her chin even at this late hour. He placed his glass of whiskey down before dismissing the servant from the study.

“You know, if you keep coming to see me like this, people will talk.”

Her eyes flashed with anger but she uncharacteristically let the comment pass. “I have a proposal for you. A change to our deal.”

Raghav raised an eyebrow and took a moment to study his opponent. She was nervous, he realized, as she wrung her hands together in an effort to keep them still. She needed something from him. “At this hour?” he asked, determined not to make things easy for her. “It couldn’t wait until the morning?”

She looked abashed for a moment, but it quickly passed. “Do you want to hear it or not?”

He smiled wolfishly, certain he was going to enjoy this. He motioned to a seat. “Drink? Guess not,” he added at her reaction.

“I’m willing to leave Hyderabad. This week, and forever. But I need a favor.”

He listened to her story, questions swirling in his mind. Could her brother be the same kid Harish found to do their dirty work? What did he know? What did he tell the police? He realized she was looking at him expectantly, waiting for an answer.

“I’ll take care of it,” he said abruptly. Her brows furrowed in surprise, as if she expected more of a fight.

“Oh. Thank you?” Her voice held a note of uncertainty. “I can meet with the lawyer at the station tomorrow—”

“I said I’d take care of it,” he interrupted. “Go home.” He looked out the window and watched the raindrops pelt the glass incessantly. “The driver will take you.”

She looked as if she wanted to argue, but couldn’t find the words in the face of his ready acquiescence to her terms.

As she left, he grabbed his phone and began dialing.

----------------------

The inspector who had laughed at her the night before now watched her warily as she entered the police station. “I’m here to see—”

“I know,” he said, a sharp edge to his tone. “He’s free to go.”

Pallavi was sure she had heard him incorrectly, but there sat Nikhil in the waiting area, looking years younger as he slept with his long legs curled up in a chair. She looked back at the inspector, who glared at her. “What do you want now? Can I get you some tea, coffee, madam?” he sneered. “Get out and stop wasting my time.”

They did just that, and as the shock wore off she found herself with more questions than before. It was clear to her that Raghav was behind this, but how and why he had gotten the police to drop all charges was still a mystery. She grilled Nikhil on their way home, and he had the good sense to take her scolding without much protest. But no, no one had come to see him last night after she left. And why was she asking about Raghav Rao?

She extracted a promise from him to never do something like this again – to come to her if he needed anything, because what was family for? Unspoken was the possibility that now lay before her, that she may not be here much longer to be of any use to her family.

This time he was expecting her, though she never bothered to make an appointment and tended to waltz in as if she owned the place. He figured she would learn about the fate of her brother soon enough.

She came to him with her head held high, the slight bags under her eyes the only crack in her façade that alluded to a restless night. “How did you do it?” she asked. “Why did you do it?”

He was expecting something more along the lines of gratitude, but then when was she ever predictable?

“Good morning,” he smirked. “I have very good lawyers, you know.” At her huff of disbelief, he continued. “I had a favor to call in. No big deal.” He waved dismissively. “As for why, you know why.” He pinned her with his stare.

“No big deal? This is not what I asked you to do. I asked you to find him a lawyer, not bribe the police—”

Raghav felt the anger she so frequently stirred up in him begin to rise in his chest. “I didn’t bribe anyone. I told you, someone owed me a favor. You should be happy your brother is home instead of rotting in jail, what would your saintly parents say to that?”

The blow hit home, and the righteousness that had propelled her to his door seemed to leave her all at once. She looked…unsure of what todo next. It was not how he was accustomed to seeing her. “Keep him out of trouble now,” he offered gruffly. She rolled her eyes at his advice and he clenched his jaw in response. “You wouldn’t be trying to get out of our deal, would you? I held up my end, now it’s your turn.”

To her credit, she didn’t argue his point. “Fine,” she said. “I’ll be gone by the end of the week.”

Even in defeat, she moved with grace as she came forward and offered him her hand. He took it, noting the way it fit into his as they shook on their deal, how her soft skin belied the strength of her grip against his.

“Goodbye, Raghav Rao,” she said.

“Goodbye, Pallavi Deshmukh.” He had won their little game. So why did he suddenly feel as if he was losing something instead?

Though the skies had finally cleared after the rain, his darkened mood persisted all day and into the next. Farhad tread carefully with his boss as they worked, trying to avoid his sharp glare and even sharper words. It was during a meeting with their Japanese investors that Raghav received the first message on his phone.

Click here to see what Raghav Rao and his girlfriend don’t want you to know!

He ignored it – it was an unknown sender, probably some low-life idiot who found his number and had nothing better to do with his time.

Then the next message came.

Rs. 5 lakh to this account by end of the day tomorrow, or this goes live and your secret is out! ;-)

Against his better judgement, he clicked on the link. The images loaded, slowly, and he cursed under his breath as they came into view. It was him, but more importantly, it was him and Pallavi.

TBC

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Edited by ShyNomad - 2 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Mysterie_girl thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Hooked to this story 

Amazing take on that whole fiasco 👏👏

OceanicHeart. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Wow I love this! 

Write more soon can't wait to find out what happened next! 🤗

Joyness thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Loved the story please continue 

unicornwriter thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

Can't wait to read further..

Bgtyuh765 thumbnail

This is such a gripping read. You made me relive those days before the marriage when Raghav and Pallavi were constantly at loggerheads. Love it ❤️

ReemShah thumbnail
Most Comments (June 2021) 1 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Apt title

I was completely hooked to the FF

this was written so beautifully and had grasped my mind wholly

great work

I am excited for upcoming chapters

DivyaaaV thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

this is incredible! i am completely hooked pls update soon!

SONIA441 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Woah!! Can I say that I love this attempt at redoing the circumstances of Raghav & Pallavi's marriage❤️

Their interactions hold the same fire as the early days & I loved the Dialogues used💥

Please do continue soon 😌

ShyNomad thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Thank you all for your kind words, it is beyond what I could have imagined. I plan to respond to each of you but in the meantime I wanted to put up the second part since it was done. Thanks again for reading.

Part 2

Farhad watched Raghav clench his fists as he paced back and forth in his room. “Nobody. Blackmails. Raghav. Rao,” he spat out, and then glared at Farhad. “Where are we on tracing the phone number? The account number?”

Farhad winced internally, knowing his answer had not changed since the last time Raghav had asked. “Anna, the phone is still switched off and the number belongs to a burner. The account number, we’re still working on—”

“I want to know who this jackass is, who had the audacity to send me that message. Then I will teach him the meaning of regret.”

“Yes, Anna.” He paused, choosing his next words very carefully. “If we don’t know by the deadline tomorrow…”

Raghav stopped pacing. “It doesn’t matter,” he said. “I will never pay a blackmailer.” He jabbed a finger in Farhad’s direction. “You know that, it never ends.”

“But Anna, what about Pallavi?”

If anything, his question angered Raghav even more. He could see the small vein on his forehead begin to pulse. “Pallavi,” he said slowly, “is not my concern. And she shouldn’t be yours, either.”

-----------

His patience fraying as the night grew longer, Raghav scrolled through the pictures yet again. They were surprisingly high quality, but some were taken at odd angles as if surreptitiously clicked from a distance. It was clear enough who the subjects of the photos were.

He and Pallavi are arguing at Deshmukh Saree Emporium. But all anyone would see was the way he stared into her eyes as he draped her sari, inches away, and to the world they looked like lovers with a secret.

Here we see these two lovebirds begin their affair, as landlord and tenant, the caption read. Pallavi was upset with her original landlord as the poor fellow was just asking for his rentin steps Raghav Rao to the rescue! I’m sure they must have come to a mutually beneficial arrangement. ;-)

In the next they are in front of Deshmukh Niwas. Pallavi is standing in front of him with haldi on her hands, and his shirt is yellow with what looks like her handprints. Though he knew them not to be hers and to be Chipku’s instead, the caption simply read, Oops! Caught yellow-handed!

Pallavi is leaving his home with his suit jacket around her shoulders. Boyfriend goals <3

He’s lying on top of Pallavi at her cousin’s sangeet, flower petals all around them. No comment ;-)

That night comes back to him – watching her dance, arguing in her room, seeing her pupils dilate as he steps closer to fix her blouse. Maybe his fingers were itching to caress the soft skin of her back, maybe just to see what she would do in response…

He shakes his head and moves on to the next one. Pallavi is climbing onto her scooter, and his bare torso is visible in the corner as he watches her leave from the balcony. Ooh la la! Some mid-morning shenanigans.

Pallavi is leaving last night, stepping into his car with the RR medallion clearly visible. What a gentleman! Making sure she gets home safe after their late night talks.

He groans in frustration, angry with the way their friendship…no…rivalry has been twisted into some sick narrative. At times he’s enjoyed this game between them. Secretly he’s been pleased at how easy it is to fluster Pallavi, how satisfying it is to watch the telltale blush creep up her skin when he touches her (however innocently), or even when he unabashedly admires her figure.

But he would never presume to cheapen her this way, nor to spit on the sacrifices she’s made to keep her business running. If anything he has only made her path more difficult, misguidedly punishing her for one sin after another.

His mind goes back to Farhad’s words. And now, is it fair that she should be punished along with him? The slight on his character is nothing compared to what it would do to her.

He sends her a message and hope's he’s doing the right thing.

---------

The sun is high in the sky when Pallavi reaches their agreed upon meeting place. He is leaning against his car, his figure cutting an impressive silhouette against the deserted fields.

“Why are we here, Raghav?”

He looks up, his eyes scanning the road around them. “Did anyone follow you?”

She is puzzled at this cloak and dagger routine, first at his insistence in meeting at this isolated turn in the road and now his paranoia. She was equally surprised at his message, and thought she had seen the last of The Raghav Rao when she had agreed to leave the city. But her curiosity brought her face to face with him once again. “Raghav,” she says again, bringing his focus back to her.

“I have something you need to see.” He pulls out his phone and hands it to her.

“What is this?”

“I got these messages yesterday – open it.”

She feels the ground shift under her feet as she scrolls through, her disgust and bewilderment growing with every picture. How? Why? She pauses on the last message. “You paid them,” she breathes a sigh of relief.

“I didn’t.”

“But why?” She grabs his collar with her free hand, needing something to hold on to. “You have to.”

“I refuse to be blackmailed,” he says, and she feels white hot anger course through her.

“This isn’t just about you! Can’t you see that? It’s about me too!”

He places a finger to his temple and takes a deep breath. “I know. That’s why I asked you here.”

She waits, but nothing will ever prepare her for the next words out of his mouth.

“Marry me.”

Her mouth opens in shock and she drops her hand from him as if she’s been burned. “What?”

“Marry me,” he says again patiently.

“I always knew you were crazy. This just confirms it.” This must be a dream, she thinks. Really she is back in Kolhapur with her brother and she shouldn’t have had any misal pav so close to bedtime, it always gives her weird dreams like this.

He ignores her barb. “If we’re married,” he explains slowly (as if she is five years old instead of the only sane person in this conversation), “It won’t matter what this person does. We take it out of their hands.”

She stares at him. “But we’ll be married,” she mimics his cadence.

He shrugs. “We’ll get an annulment. I just need some time to find this scum.”

“We are not getting married,” she says, poking her finger into his chest for emphasis. “You need to figure this out and do whatever you have to. Just stop this.”

-------------

He sighs as she stalks back to her scooter. It was a longshot, sure, but at least he tried to help her. He pounds a fist against the roof of his car. He just needs more time…

He types a message to his blackmailer. I need more time to get the money.

The response is almost instantaneous. I don’t believe that, but I’m feeling generous. You have an extra day…at a price. :-)

-------------

Pallavi quietly closes the door behind her, thankful that there is no one to greet her at the moment. She feels unsteady, as if she could fall apart if someone merely tugged at her seams. Her head is full of questions with no answers. No answers, at least, that don’t in some way lead back to Raghav.

“Pallavi,” her father-in-law calls from the next room. She walks in to see him holding his phone. He looks up at her, his gaze sharp and suspicious. The sinking feeling in her stomach returns.

“I am only going to ask you this once. What were you doing at Raghav Rao’s house last night?”

He jabs the phone in her direction and she can see the picture of her getting into his car, the same one Raghav showed her earlier. She opens her mouth to reply before realizing she is helpless and bound by secrecy to Nikhil. “I can’t tell you, Baba.”

His voice goes quiet. “Can’t? Or won’t?”

Her eyes plead with him to understand, but he is too caught up in his rage to pay any heed to her tears. Ayi battles valiantly for her but even she can’t prevent what happens next, and Pallavi finds herself sobbing on the ground outside, feeling her heart break into a thousand little pieces as the doors of her home are closed to her, possibly for good.

TBC