Mehndi Hai Rachne Wali

The beginning of an era

armaanasya thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

I haven't come across a show prior to this where one of the main leads is a South Indian, paired against a Hindi speaking lead. I might be wrong, since I am not aware of any other show with this concept.

I feel this is a huge leap for itv especially Hindi serials which is otherwise filled with the stereotypical family backgrounds.

When I first saw an epi (a late learner of this show), i was honestly shocked to see that telugu is being spoken in the show, and much later I realised that the hero is actually a Telugu star! So unique and a first for me. I'm a Punjabi from a corner of South India myself and well acquainted with the languages and cultures of the south. So being aware of both the cultural influences, I was surprised to see the taste of different cultures in one show. In a Hindi show.

IMO, this honestly will give a boost to women getting into a wedlock, to remove their inhibitions, see above their own regions and accept someone with a different cultural bg. This show is a perfect example that your special someone might not be from the same region, community, does not speak the same language and you can still be happy and fall in love with them.

I feel this show is setting good examples that way. Acceptance, adjustment and none of it being based on the language of the other. 

That said yeh raghav Rao meri Hindi zaroor kharab karke chodega. In Raghav Rao's words "yeh Raghav rao MERA hindi zaroor karab karke choda!" ahahah

P.s. Post is meant in a positive note. Our country is rich for its diversity and I'm proud of that. Accordingly, i hope the post is taken in a good light. 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Inese_20 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Exactly my point! πŸ‘ I am a North Indian, and I have been saying this here time and again - such shows promote acceptance β€οΈ

Edited by Inese_20 - 2 years ago
Viewpoint thumbnail
Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

I also agree. I am all for inter-state marriages. I don't live in India so it's easier for us to marry outside our community or religion but I'd love that everyone opens up to this idea as well as the fact that a woman can remarry after she's widowed at an early age. I know it happens in real life, but there is still a good section of people who don't believe in widow remarriage. 

I also appreciate that the male lead is a progressive man. Such a welcome change!! 

jakkula.sirisha thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Yhm is also cross culture show but both leads are in delhi and hero hamesha madraasi bolke chidatha tha heroin ko

But MHRW hero has telugu swag

culture ki majak nahi udata koi both leads respects and accepts eachothers cultres thats uniqe and new in this show

masin thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2

I completely agree with you!

I don't live in India, but the stigma of marrying outside your region is still prevalent in my circle, albeit not to a huge extent. It's so refreshing to see an intercultural marriage without one having to conform to the other. The last time I saw this in a show was Yeh Hai Mohabbatein, and that was handled very well. Both cultures were given their fair share of screen time and the stereotypes were dealt with an appropriate dose of humour.

I also adore Raghav for being such a progressive man and portraying that with so much ease. He doesn't yap about his morals and ethics and what he stands for or believes in. He just does what he needs to do and owns up to it. Annddd, perhaps for the first time in ITV history (as far as my ITV knowledge takes me), a male lead is not anti-God. He practices his faith how he's best able to and doesn't need to get lectured about being hopeless and faithless by his wife or mom. In fact, I even love that Pallavi doesn't berate him for drinking. Sure she doesn't want him to go overboard and damage his organs every night, but I love that she doesn't consider his social drinking a blasphemous habit.

A welcome change indeed! πŸ‘

S-I-A thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5

Indeed a welcome change !!! 

Ubiquitos thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Well it was refreshing to me as well. The cultural tones were so heavy in the beginning, it was one of the interesting aspects of this show. I am disappointed that due to covid or due to the progression in the story, it got toned down. But we still see them talking in telugu. Also the South influence can be seen in how they approach story as well, the tone of Raghav Rao as a character is similar to South Indian heroes....

Also, this Telugu-Marathi sangam was legitimized pehle bhi with Mansi-Rahul wedding. I feel Deshmukhs were always open to Telugus, and vice versa...Like they never really had any problem with that and it was kind of inbuilt. I enjoyed their sangeet function, mixture of Hindi+ South Indian flavours. Sad that we couldn't get such scenes later because of heavy drama.

The South Indian flavour, the RR mansion, the Hyderabad effect, the open roads, these were almost like an another character in the show.. Sad that covid toned it down.. 

In general I feel, they have moved on to household scenes and the overall representations have gone down a bit... But overall, kudos to them for keeping it authentic. 

Raghav Rao ka hindi sach mein bhot influencing hai... Main aisa hi karega.. Woh mereko aisa hi hona hai...🀣🀣

Phir_Mohabbat thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8

Omg this! For so long there was stupid madrasi/north indian loud punjabi stereotype showing in tv and films. Muthuswami aiyyar with that stupid aiyyo appa accent. Here no such bs and never pallo mocked or started the north south nonsense. South India just like north has different areas and culture. It's not TN or Kerala but Karnataka Andhra, just like delhi isn't north. Bihar up and mp have their separate identity.

I hope we get more diverse cast ahead with body positive (like krishna actress her weight isn't something of a mocking /joke in show) ones. Too much hindi Punjabi influence in Hindi shows and tv. 

WhtsinAname thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Agreed !! Even I had no idea that the ML was actually south Indian and was speaking proper Telugu. I find it quite remarkable that the casting director chose to go this way. Provides such freshness and uniqueness .

Nai toh we hv movies where Hindi actors play south Indian and so badly that too.

I really think the show has good potential.....both cast wise and story wise. The direction is also quite nice. I wish it gets the success it deserves. In these times it's nice to watch a show which keeps the fun element alive.

On dt note can you tell me what Raghav said in Telugu when he was trying to apologise to Pallavi. I unfortunately can't understand Telugu at allπŸ˜’......but I loved the scene anyhow ........bcz he spoke in Telugu .

jakkula.sirisha thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Haal-e-Dil

Omg this! For so long there was stupid madrasi/north indian loud punjabi stereotype showing in tv and films. Muthuswami aiyyar with that stupid aiyyo appa accent. Here no such bs and never pallo mocked or started the north south nonsense. South India just like north has different areas and culture. It's not TN or Kerala but Karnataka Andhra, just like delhi isn't north. Bihar up and mp have their separate identity.

I hope we get more diverse cast ahead with body positive (like krishna actress her weight isn't something of a mocking /joke in show) ones. Too much hindi Punjabi influence in Hindi shows and tv. 

This show is breaking sterio types i hate when people consider all south indians as madrasis 

Aree there are 5 states with 4 different languages and cultures each state has their own identity 

but all shows show only idly sambhar as south indian identity here food habits,festivals,dressing all are really different

All think that all speak ayyo and wear lungi its not same in all southindian states

telugu grooms wear dhoti not vesti in marraiges and not shirt but kurta.

Sorry for my rant