Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Deepika Padukone // Alia Bhatt // Samantha Akkineni - Better actress? - Page 3

Poll

Deepika Padukone // Alia Bhatt // Samantha Akkineni - Better actress?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Lord_Voldemort thumbnail
Visit Streak 1000 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 2 years ago
Originally posted by: pathaka

Tbh, aliaa pulled off highway in her second film….particularly those close ups lingering on her face for minutes as she expressed …that’s tough for a newbie 

I don’t think Samantha was at that skill level in her second film ( she did that Tamil movie with Rahul, and brindavanam in Telugu I think)

Tho alia has regressed whereas Samantha has progressed further …

Yeah but if roles were reversed, I feel Samantha would have done Highway equally well, and Alia wouldn't have delivered some earth shattering performance had she done Brindavanam and that Tamil film with Rahul (which was Sam's first film btw but got delayed by two years due to financing troubles).

To illustrate with an example, how Tabu was used in that Andarivadu film with Chiranjeevi. So much potential but wasted due to limitation of role/film. Sam suffered the same fate in her initial years, barring an exception or two.

pathaka thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: Lord_Voldemort

Yeah but if roles were reversed, I feel Samantha would have done Highway equally well, and Alia wouldn't have delivered some earth shattering performance had she done Brindavanam and that Tamil film with Rahul (which was Sam's first film btw but got delayed by two years due to financing troubles).

To illustrate with an example, how Tabu was used in that Andarivadu film with Chiranjeevi. So much potential but wasted due to limitation of role/film. Sam suffered the same fate in her initial years, barring an exception or two.

Gautam menon is a solid starting point for female actors tho…ymc did have a strong char but I don’t think acting wise she was as superior as aliaa for highway was in there …

She only really started getting better from eega/nep onwards

But tabu in andarivadu wasn’t expressionless or anything ..just played a dumb char 

Jesse wasn’t a dumb character tho

Edited by pathaka - 2 years ago
Lord_Voldemort thumbnail

Gautam menon is a solid starting point for female actors tho…ymc did have a strong char but I don’t think acting wise she was as superior as aliaa for highway was in there …

She only really started getting better from eega/nep onwards

I agree Alia in Highway was better than Sam in YMC. Having said that, the genre and treatment of both the films was entirely different. YMC wasn't made as sensitively to bring out that rawness and realness which was visible with Highway but missing in YMC. YMC was more of a feel good romantic musical like a Badrinath ki dulhania, and if we compare the performances of the actors there Sam appears to have done better in a similar genre.

Just sharing some trivia, Gautham Menon didn't want to make YMC but the Telugu producers, Manjula and her husband approached GM and asked him to make the film in Telugu as well when the Tamil version was already 60% complete. So it was more of a rushed job (you feel it when you watch both VTV and YMC -- you can tell some shots could have gone for retakes but they didn't choose to because of time or whatever reason).

pathaka thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

I agree Alia in Highway was better than Sam in YMC. Having said that, the genre and treatment of both the films was entirely different. YMC wasn't made as sensitively to bring out that rawness and realness which was visible with Highway but missing in YMC. YMC was more of a feel good romantic musical like a Badrinath ki dulhania, and if we compare the performances of the actors there Sam appears to have done better in a similar genre.

Just sharing some trivia, Gautham Menon didn't want to make YMC but the Telugu producers, Manjula and her husband approached GM and asked him to make the film in Telugu as well when the Tamil version was already 60% complete. So it was more of a rushed job (you feel it when you watch both VTV and YMC -- you can tell some shots could have gone for retakes but they didn't choose to because of time or whatever reason).

I’d say badrinath is more comparable to something like a aa or jabardasth (commercial feel good rom coms)…I’d pick aliaa in badrinath there ….

Ymc was more in the zone of character studies …slow narration, minimal characters, no sub plots or side tracks…heavy reliance on conversations and closeups …it was as much more personal film than badrinath…highway is similar …single mindedly focused on a few characters and their journey and has got a more personal than commercial touch ….

Lord_Voldemort thumbnail

I’d say badrinath is more comparable to something like a aa or jabardasth (commercial feel good rom coms)…I’d pick aliaa in badrinath there ….

Ymc was more in the zone of character studies …slow narration, minimal characters, no sub plots or side tracks…heavy reliance on conversations and closeups …it was as much more personal film than badrinath…highway is similar …single mindedly focused on a few characters and their journey and has got a more personal than commercial touch ….

Agree in case of Jabardasth but not A aa. 

Yes partially agree on the zone of YMC but the focus of the film was not Jessie unlike in case of Highway which was an author backed role. Highway is also a better film than YMC so that helps too.

Rekha_ji thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Having had equal exposure to Hindi, Telugu and Tamil cinema, I can say Samantha and Alia are closer in terms of caliber but Sam has got a slight edge over her. 

Alia got the best of offers falling into her lap from the very beginning whereas Sam was an outsider who had to struggle to establish herself and prove that she is a good actress (fewer good roles to women down South). A lot of years went into just establishing herself. Really solid roles only started coming her way in the last 3-4 years.

Btw what are some of her works you have seen?

I'm a SUCKER for strong female performances so please recommend something I should check out. I've only seen her in Mahanati and Super Deluxe.

Whether Alia Bhatt got offers in her lap or not, I don't take that into consideration when judging a performance. If Samantha is weaker I won't say "oh she struggled a lot more than Alia, let me give her two stars more" - if her performance isn't up to scratch, that's all I care about.

Lord_Voldemort thumbnail
Originally posted by: Rekha_ji

I'm a SUCKER for strong female performances so please recommend something I should check out. I've only seen her in Mahanati and Super Deluxe.

Whether Alia Bhatt got offers in her lap or not, I don't take that into consideration when judging a performance. If Samantha is weaker I won't say "oh she struggled a lot more than Alia, let me give her two stars more" - if her performance isn't up to scratch, that's all I care about.

You should watch Family Man 2, Neethane En Ponvasantham, Ye Maya Chesave, Eega, Rangasthalam, A Aa, Manam, U Turn, Oh Baby, Jaanu.

No I did not say you should give her extra points because she struggled more. What I'm saying is, Alia had well-written, author-backed roles written for her handed on a platter whereas Samantha did not... so it took her longer to find the groove. If Sam had the same opportunities she would have done even better. And performances are influenced by the quality of the film and role, which is why Alia has an upper hand in the initial phase of her career.

JayaBachan thumbnail

I have no idea who Samantha is but how on earth is Deepika a better actress than Alia? 😟

Lord_Voldemort thumbnail
briahna thumbnail

who the hell is Samantha Akkineni?