Posted: 2 years ago

Long Long back..there was Prem Juneja.. A good son and a wonderful lover.. However they did butcher his character for a bit...but his redemption as well was great.. He was not abusive as well..

Originally posted by 5431

Hey so I barely watch any other shows, so just had a question. Are all ITV male leads like Virat- completely useless and misogynist? Or is it only in this show that it’s so bad?

Most ITV heroes do not add any value to the story or anything but only for romantic aspects in the show. 

The female lead is supposed to work her arse off and save the day and family and the planet. 

ITV is made with the basic objective of showing female power sort of thing. 

I think only crime solving shows have men do the right thing... But then even that is like their job An not the daily life as such 😂😂😂

Originally posted by I-Am-SherLOCKED

Unfortunately, ITV made Kabir Singh type males cool even before Kabir Singh was cool.

So true!!! The like is for Mohan Bhatnagar. I know this is another show's forum, but can't help but praise the character. Very well written and very rare to find it in ITV. Kudos to the writer (Sonal) and the actor (KKK). The story of Mohan and Mrs. Vyas was awesome for the first 100 episodes, after which Colors unfortunately simply destroyed it.

Originally posted by idkwhattoput

Neil Khanna of Naamkaran was good (before separation track). 

Sarangdhar of Story 9 months ki was exceptional. That show had role reversal - the FL was the serious, strong, soft yet practical business woman with the painful backstory. the ML was the lively kind hearted poetic one despite HIS backstory. But both stayed likeable almost throughout, except at the end when they took an unnecessary leap & untimely end to the show. I read one of their writers passed away due to covid so possibly he was the genius behind such well drawn characters 

But lets face the public loves the toxic male lead

I have mainly watched Starplus shows and sadly most of the ML are like Virat or worse. If they are not useless and just let the FL get trampled on...then they are the ones doing tje trampling.

As someone mentioned at the moment most Starplus shows are about forced or compromise marriages and the husbands have been mostly a let down...

the nicer ones blow hot and cold. Most start off abusive and somehow the woman wins them over (usually only until hiw family accuse her or frame her into something and tjey always turn on their wives never completely trust them but expect 100% loyalty and trust).

Qm a sucker for romance most times but once you have put someone through certain things I fail to see how romance can later blossom but this is the only formular starplus seems to favour and follow.

Name me a ML in any recent star plus show  and am sure I can find you some very problematic behaviour

Originally posted by asmi_joya

Long Long back..there was Prem Juneja.. A good son and a wonderful lover.. However they did butcher his character for a bit...but his redemption as well was great.. He was not abusive as well..

itvs golden boys  Anurag Ganguly and Raghuvendra Pratap Singh,they were so much better than the rest. Seriously I though Virat was good, considering the trps and online fans, I saw some recent episodes but can't really connect with the ML, now back to bad boy Raghav Rao. He is very good btw. I expected better from Virat. 

These days find no difference when he was in Roop, 3 years ago. 

Edited by Salutethearmy - 2 years ago
Originally posted by Salutethearmy

Soon after long long back, there was itvs golden boys  Anurag Ganguly and Raghuvendra Pratap Singh. Seriously I though this was good, considering the trps, I saw some recent episodes, now back to bad boy Raghav Rao. He is very good btw. I expected better from Virat. 

These days find no difference when he was in Roop, 3 years ago. 

Uhh yeah.. Not much difference with the Roop one.. in some scenarios.. we'll have heard that they dealt with Raghav's redemption pretty well.. but then again he wad abusive in the beginning I heard ..but the point is he is still not in love and appears better.. while Virat is this way being in love

Originally posted by asmi_joya

Uhh yeah.. Not much difference with the Roop one.. in some scenarios.. we'll have heard that they dealt with Raghav's redemption pretty well.. but then again he wad abusive in the beginning I heard ..but the point is he is still not in love and appears better.. while Virat is this way being in love

Virat is another version of Ranvir Singh, his character in Roop, as of now, not following Ghum, just giving my pov on the basis of what he has become these days. BTW Neil can pull of grey characters very well.  

Raghav yes is everything what he is not supposed to be but in the end the so called bad person ends up being very good. The writers make sure that he undo's the wrong, due his inbuilt characteristics, people misunderstand his intentions. 

I like Sai better than everyone here.   Idk what's wrong with the writers, they could have done a much better job

Edited by Salutethearmy - 2 years ago

It's absolutely rare to see good male leads in ITV shows. From the shows I have seen, Hanuman Singh from Patiala babes has to be my favourite. My favourite scene would be his monologue where he reflects on misogyny and patriarchy in society. He acknowledged privilege man have in Indian society. Not only Hanuman Singh was "not abusive", he was actually good. He wasn't knight in shining armour, he was a partner. 

Ironically Hanuman Singh is a police officer, just like Virat.(Virat is elite- IPS, Hanuman was inspector). But there's stark difference between both of them as a man and as an officer.