You Make me Nervous, But I Want to Stay In It| FaTejo OS

Posted: 2 years ago

Tejo's heart thundered inside her chest. The crowd was dense in the arena and her anxiety rose inside her chest. She had promised herself when she'd left the house that she would remain calm. That if anything happened she would immediately walk out until Buzzo was able to tell her that Fateh was okay. Tejo clutched Buzzo's cap, hiding her face from the crowd. 

"Bhabhi kuch ni hona, tussi fikr na karo," Buzzo assured her, his warm hand grazing her elbow. 

Tejo nodded, her tongue heavy in her mouth. Buzzo sat beside her and he immediately went back into stranger mode. Tejo had told him she didn't want Fateh to know she was there and Buzzo had promised that he would follow with whatever she led with. 

But watching Fateh get punched in the first round was too much for her to bear. She'd seen the blood trickle from his temple and had nearly screamed until she'd forced herself to look away. 

You can do this, she assured herself. She had sat through most of the match looking at the ground and plugging her ears to block out the crowd. Every once in a while she had looked up, curiosity getting the better of her, only to see Fateh in the middle of the fight. Every time she looked back down and started praying. The event had felt centuries-long and Tejo prayed for it to end with minimal injuries. 

Tejo rocked back and forth, hoping Buzzo would pull her from her fear once the match was over. It had been a fool's errand to come to the arena tonight. As she continued to cover her ears to block the noise of the crowd, she felt someone tap her knees. She was sure the match was over and she hesitated before releasing her ears. The crowd had gone quiet and Tejo was confused. Wouldn't there be cheers for the winner?

Looking up beyond her cap she recognized the hand that was on her knee and it wasn't Buzzo's. Her heart sped up at the sight of Fateh's bruised hands and she looked up at him from beneath her cap. The silence in the arena now deafening in her ears.

"You really thought you could hide from me?" Fateh whispered and Tejo met his eyes. 

He'd won. She didn't have to look at the scoreboard to know. Victory danced in his eyes and his body was as relaxed as a victor's. Fateh lifted his warm, calloused hand, and his fingers tapped the curve of her cap. Chuckling he ducked as if hiding with her away from the world. 

"Who's wise idea was it to give the only girl in here wearing a suit, a cap?" Fateh teased flashing a grin at his near distraught wife. 

He noticed the tears in her eyes and the red flush of her cheeks. She'd been crying, panicking during his entire fight. Fateh recalled when Tejo had asked him at the beginning of their friendship, how someone who hated hurting other people could be a boxer, and he told her the sport was different from the act of anger. That boxing was a discipline not a way to release emotions. But watching her large eyes filled with tears churned the inside of his stomach. He knew how much she hated fights, deliberately walking away from him when he needed to practise at home. But she'd still come here today, on his big night, to support him. Even if it had meant she'd be worried sick throughout the duration of the event.

"Buzzo," she nearly choked. 

Fateh shook his head and looked at his best friend who was watching the two with an excited glint. Buzzo had been well aware of Fateh's feelings, even before Fateh was able to acknowledge them. Buzzo had loved Tejo, had always admired her spirit and most of all her strength. It had taken everything in Buzzo to not immediately run to Tejo and tell her the truth about Fateh's feelings for her because, in the time that Tejo had become Fateh's wife, she had also needled her way into Buzzo's heart as his friend. 

Leaning back from his wife, Fateh grabbed her hand pulling her up with him. Suddenly the crowd erupted into deafening noise, chatter following the pair as they descended the stairs. Fateh walked her up to the ring and slowly, looking into her eyes for consent, lifted the cap off of her face. The crowd descended into chaos and he could distantly hear the words "his wife", but all he could see was Tejo. Her eyes were wide and she looked down at their intertwined hands. 

Reporters surrounded the two like vultures, and the camera flashes made Tejo dizzy. She closed her eyes to shut out the chaos but Fateh's warm hand that had been holding hers suddenly left her. When she opened her eyes again, afraid that he'd left her standing there, his warmth was at her right side, and his hand was at the small of her back. 

He was anchoring her. In place and to him. Fateh leaned close to her and to the outside, it looked as if a victor husband was placing a joyous kiss on his wife's temple, but instead, he whispered. 

"I've got you."

She could feel the small stroke of his thumb on her back and Tejo forgot how to breathe. She prayed to God that Fateh could not realize the effect his proximity had on her, but her dizziness got the best of her and leaned into him. 

As if she were in a tunnel she could distantly hear Fateh's answers to the reporters. He was proud of his win and owed it to Waheguru and his father. That he was excited about the next match. How fortunate he was to have his supports in the crowd. 

"And lastly I owe it to my wife, without whom I would have fallen into a false dream," Fateh spoke assuredly and Tejo's attention focused sharply on him. 

"Would you care to elaborate?" one of the reporters hounded. 

Fateh smiled, shaking his head and looking down before lifting his gaze to look at Tejo. Only Tejo. 

"She believed in me more than I thought anyone else was capable of. She taught me how to put my ambitions first and to move forward in confidence. She hates watching me fight because the knowledge that I could be hurt puts those thick tears in her beautiful eyes. But she still came out here tonight to be there for me. Ultimately she's my biggest supporter and I am her biggest fan."

If it weren't for the crowd and the hundreds of streams live from the arena, Fateh would have kissed her then. Instead, he moved slightly, with his free hand lifting hers. His ring, the one he'd bought her a month ago as a secret symbol of how much he loved her, shone in the bright arena lights. Never breaking eye contact he brought her hand to his face, turning it so her warm palm met his lips. He placed a small kiss inside her palm and he swore he felt her burn at the contact. He could feel her pulling away so he kept her palm close, making her hand cradle his cheek as his own hand swallowed hers. 

"Thank you, Tejo," he whispered, although he knew the cameras had caught the act of intimacy and his words well. 

The thick emotion in his voice was impossible to miss and Tejo held back hot tears. The hand he'd trapped against his cheek was burning at his touch and Tejo clutched his cheek. Her thumb gently stroked his cheekbone and she gave him a small smile. 

Pulling her hand down with his, their fingers now intertwined, Fateh looked back at the cameras. "That's enough for me tonight. I'm beat."

The reporters laughed as Fateh pulled Tejo with him, protecting her from the crowd at large. Tejo bit her lip, trembling from the moment before as they escaped into a small tunnel. Fateh hadn't let go of her hand but Tejo wanted to snatch it back from his grip to gain some modicum of control. She watched him lead her down a small hall and then he pushed through a door, bringing her into the locker room. 

"Let me just grab my things and then we'll head home," he said softly, sending another smile her way. 

Tejo felt dizzy again and she knew she needed to step away from Fateh. His pull was too strong and his smile too stupidly endearing. He smelled like sweat and aftershave, and the combination was intoxicating. She leaned back against the cold wall, clutching to a bench to find some strength. She could see Fateh scramble to get his belongings and with his back turned to her she found some of her courage to speak. 

"Why did you do that?" she asked, her voice shaking.

Fateh turned to look at his wife, who now sat pale-faced on a bench with an expression he could not decipher. 

"What do you mean?"

"Why did you say all of that? Why would you say any of that? Why did you - with my hand?! In the crowd? What will people think?" Tejo said, delirious now from the onslaught of her own emotions.

She felt sick and she felt angry. Angry at herself and angry at him. Knowing full well their relationship would never look like the one she had always dreamed of but at that moment that he'd look at only her she let herself believe it could be real. Angry that he would play with her like that in front of a crowd with millions watching at home. With their families watching at home. 

"People will think 'Wah Fateh apni biwi ki kitni parvaah karta hai' or 'Wah Tejo bhi kitni supportive wife hai'. I only said the truth and now I'm wondering what's freaking you out more. Was it because it was real or because you didn't want it to be?" he countered, his tone light as if he were expecting her to pounce on him at any moment. 

"What... what will our families think?" Tejo whispered, finally raising her eyes to meet his. 

She saw him draw his eyebrows together, confusion marring his sweaty face. And then something replaced the look in his immediately as if realization had dawned on him. 

He closed his locker shut and the sound made Tejo flinch. He was angry now too. His muscles were rigid and there was a fury in his eyes she hadn't seen in quite some time. 

"Families? Or do you mean Jasmine?" he bit out, crossing his arms as he leaned into his locker, not breaking his gaze.

Tejo flinched again, this time at the sound of her sister's name. The name that had been the invisible wall between her and Fateh. That remained steadfast and strong no matter how much Fateh and Tejo had come back into the friendship. 

His wife said nothing and fury mounted in Fateh. Had he not spent weeks making Tejo feel secure in their relationship? Only mere moments ago he had declared his devotion and gratitude to his wife to millions, knowing full well their families were watching. He spent hours listening to her, acknowledging her, validating her. And yet somehow he'd still failed to convince her just how important she was to him. He shook his head, easing the tension from his muscles. 

He bent down to pick up his duffle bag and then walked calmly over to his wife. Dropping the bag beside her on the bench he bent down so that he was eye level with her. He needed her to understand, needed her to look at him and know

Fateh placed both of his hands on either side of her, his left hand slipping into her dupatta. He could smell her now, her vanilla scent soft and beguiling. Her eyes widened as he looked at her and he felt a sick victory at his effect on her. It was taking time, but his wife was beginning to see him. Really see him. 

"Let's get one thing straight. And I'm going to say this slowly so you understand me," he whispered, forcing her to keep her eyes in his.

"I don't give a damn about Jasmine." 

The words echoed inside Tejo's chest and alarm charged her skin. 

"She's not my wife Tejo. You are. You're the only relationship outside of our families that matters. So as my wife do you understand what I'm saying to you?" he said slowly, raising his eyebrows with his question. 

Tejo nodded slowly, suddenly feeling like a stupid high schooler who had failed a lesson. She felt like she'd missed something or that Fateh was hiding something from her. It was as though he was chapters ahead and she was speed scanning to get to the same page as him. As if he could sense her turmoil he lifted his hands, cradling her face in his palms. He leaned forward, resting his forehead on hers. 

"For a smart professor, there's really so much I have to teach you," he whispered, chuckling as he held her. 

She tried to pull away from him but he kept her close, forbidding her from breaking contact. 

"Shhh, I'm just teasing."

"You're annoying," she retorted, "There's nothing you could possibly have to teach me."

This time he pulled back, a shit-eating grin on his face that made Tejo want to hit him. He stood up, dragging her up with him. 

"Wanna bet?" he teased, purposefully moving into her space to grab his bag.

Tejo narrowed her eyes, crossing her arms as Fateh walked to the door. 

"Bet what?" she took the bait.  

Fateh opened the door and stood in front to let Tejo through. As she neared him, his heart did a familiar dance at the sight of her. 

"If I'm right about needing to teach you something, then you give me one day of your time no questions asked. If I'm wrong and you learn on your own, then whatever you want is yours," he propositioned. 

He watched the adorable look of contemplation on Tejo's face and knew before she opened her mouth to agree that she would pose a question.

"How would I know that I've learned it or already know it?" she inquired. 

Fateh smirked. "You'll know."

"But how?"

"Let's just say the closer you are to knowing, the closer you are to me," he said, taking small pleasure in her confusion. 

"Are you carrying a book? Is it on you?"

No, it's not on me, but you will be, Fateh thought, laughing at himself. 

"You're not going to answer are you?" Tejo asked and Fateh shook his head. "Why does it already feel like I'm losing?" 

She huffed as she made her way to him and he leaned into her just as she passed the door. 

"It doesn't matter who wins, because, in the end, we both will," he assured her, hope lacing his voice. 

Moving his bag to his shoulder he grabbed her hand, pulling his protesting wife with him. Tejo, for all her fear and inhibitions, let herself be pulled by him. As if Fateh was a wave she could never escape. 

A/N: Heya FaTejo stans! So I haven't had a chance to watch the new episode yet but I was rewatching a korean drama that I love who's ML is also a boxer/fighter. And I was so inspired by one of the scenes that I had to write this OS. I would KILL to see Tejo's reactions to Fateh's boxing. Watching her be encouraging and supportive, even if it's hard for her to stomach seeing him in pain. I wanted this OS to be both how amazing Tejo is but just how smart our boy Fateh can be. I wouldn't even mind if somehow the CVs came upon this and ripped it for a future scene because I feel like we all deserve to see it on the screen. I hope we move past this angry Fateh hurdle soon and get back to the friendship. I want to watch these two fall in love. I had similar hopes for a different show but the ML in that show is a silent observer to the abuse his wife endures, so I'd rather see something similar to the way Swara and Sanskar fell in love. A strong friendship, the ML's realization first and then our lovely FL. SIGH. We shall see! 

P.S. the song that also inspired this OS was More of You by JP Saxe. 

Well friend, you left me speechless 🤩 I LOVED this one too! The intensity of Fateh’s emotions were portrayed so perfectly :’) I loved Tejo’s concern for him, the fact that she wasn’t fully aware of his love for her and Fateh’s determination to show Tejo how much she means to him 🥺 I really hope we get to see something like on the show 😍 

Lastly, I need more stories from you ❤️ Of course if you’re ok with writing more 😅

Oh my goddddd, it's from "Fight For My Way", isn't it???? Love this!!! 

Its always good reading your stories, especially after a crap episode. 😍😍

Your os is like a breath of fresh air for us all fatejo fans, 🤗

Thankyou so much for this, 

Its freakingfantastic👏. M a big fan of ur writings. Pl do write more. 

What can I say.. This was just so amazing.. 😍😍Tejo comes to support him in spite of her fears.❤ Fateh all determined to make her realize her position in his life❤ and those sweet gestures😘😘 loved it.. Do write more..

Beautiful❣

Do write something more often🤗

Just loved it totally 👌👌

Want to see such kind of scenes between them...😊😊

THE DIALOGUES. 

OH, THE DIALOGUES! 

I love that with each OS, you manage to hit a different note, strike a different chord. Fateh's intuitiveness and wit was so well combined with his natural humour. I couldn't stop re-reading his dialogues. The way he picked her out of the crowd, confessed his admiration for her in front of millions, centred her, and made her really see him.... I was blown away! 

If I had to pick, my most favourite part would be how he didn't let her go even once. Despite feeling angry at her concern about Jasmine, he took the time to reassure her and literally held her to him. In her battle between fight or flight, he anchored Tejo to him so that she finds the strength to fight for him and for them. 

I must add, you ace maintaining a balance between their characters. With your first OS, I was on Team Tejo and was in awe of her maturity and sensibility. Today, I'm on Team Fateh and am in awe of his unabashed adoration and his ease. They're both such strong characters that one would expect them to clash all the time, but you write about them in a way that shows them looking out for each other instead of trying to outdo one another.

I can't wait to read more! ❤️