🌈 Pride Month : Slogan Contest and Book Recommendations

Posted: 2 years ago

ImageImageImageImage

Ever thought what would the world be without stories? What can be better than a journey to the world that lies between the pages animated with wonderful characters with whom you identify. Reading their journey eliminates your doubts, gives you assurance and strength to explore yourself and accept yourself the way you are. Stories that unify, that make you believe that you are not the only one out there.

It is a world weaved carefully by someone to resonate with your feelings.

B O O K S - have always been the magic portal to step into a dimension of fantasy, feeling and a flourishing universe of imagination. Many revolutions brought around have been aroused initially through pen and paper, before making its way into reality. This world of words holds power and beauty alike.

This pride month, let us break away from the shackles of stereotypical judgments and set forth on a journey to rediscover ourselves! All through this queer yet fascinating realm of words.

E x c i t i n g ain't it? 

The task is simple! Suggest and recommend books that revolves around the LGBTQ+ community. You can also state a line or two about them and also your experience while reading it.

Here, we'll make the first move for you.

Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin

Is a novel that has resonated with the queer community since it was first published decades ago, a young man finds himself caught between desire and morality in 1950s expat Paris. While much has changed since Baldwin wrote it, many aspects of life, love and heartbreak remain the same. 

On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous By Ocean Vuong

Poet Ocean Vuong’s debut novel is a shattering portrait of a family, a first love, and the redemptive power of storytelling. With stunning urgency and grace, Ocean Vuong writes of people caught between disparate worlds, and asks how we heal and rescue one another without forsaking who we are.

Fairest by Meredith Talusan 

Fairest is a memoir about a precocious boy with albinism, a β€œsun child” from a rural Philippine village, who would grow up to become a woman in America. Throughout her journey, Talusan shares poignant and powerful episodes of desirability and love that will remind readers of works such as Call Me By Your Name and Giovanni’s Room. Her evocative reflections will shift our own perceptions of love, identity, gender, and the fairness of life.

Leaving Isn’t the Hardest Thing by Lauren Hough

At once razor-sharp, profoundly brave, and often very, very funny, the essays in Leaving Isn’t the Hardest Thing interrogate our notions of ecstasy, queerness, and what it means to live freely. Each piece is a reckoning: of survival, identity, and how to reclaim one’s past when carving out a future.

Boy Erased by Garrard Conley

Through an institutionalized Twelve-Step Program, Garrad Conley was supposed to emerge heterosexual. Instead, even when faced with a harrowing and brutal journey, Garrard found the strength and understanding to break out in search of his true self and forgiveness. 

No One Else by Siddharth Dube

The first gay memoir by a solitary author to release in Indian English, this book charts the story of Siddharth as he navigated the choppy waters of his sexuality, starting at the age of ten and onwards. As his life unfolds and he deals with the realities of being a part of a minority community after living a life of privilege, he discovers what it means to be happy in one’s own skin, and how one comes to accept themselves for who they are.

Mohanaswamy by Vasudhendra (tr. Rashi Terdal)

A dangerously blunt book that deals with loss of love and bullying, Mohanaswamy ties together Karnataka and the beliefs of the western world, as Mohanaswamy deals with losing a male lover to a woman and wanting to lead the simple life he sees the β€˜normal’ people around him lead. 

A Life Misspent by Suryakant Tripathi Nirala (tr. Satti Khanna)

A memoir by one of the most celebrated Hindi writers, Nirala, talks about a Dalit homosexual, Kulli Bhat, with whom the author forges an unlikely friendship. Crossing boundaries of conventional sexuality and caste based politics, this unputdownable book is an experience, simultaneously hilarious and touching.

Wait no more and jump aboard!

Well much like Charity, reading too begins at home! Presenting to y'all, our own inhouse plethora of stories, bringing a lot of pride to this colorful month!

A w a a m K i J a a n

1. What inspired you to write the stories?

To be honest, it has nothing to do with the LGBTQ+ theme. I just like to write stories and this was just another platform to show my work to the world. 

2. What was your thought process while writing the stories?

I had a rough idea about this story in my mind. I had another idea of writing a crossover fanfic on Jessica Jones from MCU and Rani from the movie Queen. But in the end I decided to go with an original story which shows the struggles of LGBT community in India, instead of a regular love story on same sex couple. While writing this piece I had to get into the mentality of LGBT community, thinking how they would react in specific situations which would be different than straight people, which is the result homosexuality being a taboo topic in India. I also wanted to show how the family background and gender of the LGBT plays a part on how they turn out in the end. 

Link to story: Friends

b e i n g a d i t i j

A tribute to LGBTQ+ class to my level.

The ignorance of LGBTQ+ in our country was my thought process. I literally wanted them to accept another and prove the world wrong that how big heart they have.

Link to story:  Aai

A m p h i t r i t e

Many factors lead to this. At first, it was the chemistry between two characters and then FF Team came up with an encouraging post about the submission of stories revolving around the theme of LGBTQ+. I had at one point decided to write one story and then the motivation made me explore that part of writing which I hadn't touched but now that I have, I am glad I did. Because love choices and identity differ from person to person and exploring it is definitely a beautiful process.

To be frank I was kind of nervous. Not being a part of a community and writing about them did make me a tad bit nervous of mistakenly offending someone. But in the end, I went about it. My sole purpose was to show love is the same. It's not something different for anyone. Just like how we love others do too. And that was what my stories revolved around.

Links to stories:

Black and White  

Nervous Attraction

Welcome Home  

D e l u s i o n s o f N e h a

As the "B" from LGBTQIA+ community, I have not read many proper and honest representations about us. I live by  Toni Morrison's quote "If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." I use my pen to write my thoughts, feelings and to bring awareness about things I witness as a bi, feminist, woman of colour in a patriarchal world.

It's my story, highly dramatized yet something that I have lived, felt and imagined. It is loosely inspired by real events and people who generously consented to be a part of this fiction and loved it. Love is all that we need, it's a gift and we have the right to choose who we love and nobody can tell us otherwise.Being gay is not a choice, we only choose how we express ourselves and our love.

Link to story: Spark in Our Bonfire hearts  

K o e l i

For a long time I wanted to write an LGBTQ+ story. A lesbian story to be precise. But then Shaurya and Ahir happened in star plus and there were few members who started posting video mixes on them. That really inspired me to write. But ya a gay story. smiley1

I wanted to keep it natural and real. Wanted to portray the jealousy not going overboard with the romance thing. It’s a love confession, the dilemma of two characters who thought they love the same girl and ended up knowing that they love each other.

Link to story: Crashlanding on you

L i z z i e B e n n e t t

Well, not gonna lie, it was when we in the FFDT first started talking about celebrating Pride Month right here on IF that I started thinking about writing these stories, so full credit to Appy, Shibz and the rest of the team for the inspiration! smiley27

I began with an Ace story because I strongly felt the community needed representation. There's so much Ace erasure going on in the media! In fact, there was a huge uproar in one of the fandoms I used to be in (Riverdale) at the way the show had completely erased Jughead's Aro-Ace identity from the comics (Archie) seemingly because they'd hired a 'hot' actor to play him! This infuriated me and I wanted to rectify this in my own, small way and hence 'What is my color?' was born. I began writing it as a story of an Ace woman battling societal pressures, then added a second chapter to give a definitive conclusion to the story. I'm really glad I wrote this and am quite happy with the way it turned out!

Link to story:What is my Color?  

The heart wants what it wants

The dynamic between Sid, Sameer, and Akash from the movie Dil Chahta hai has always fascinated me. And I found the characters of Akash and Sid especially interesting given how they both live life on their own terms and are strongly opinionated too. I see them as contrasting characters and it struck me all of a sudden when I was re-watching DCH (for the nth time!) that a romantic angle between the two would be worth exploring. And when the idea occurred to me, I was surprised by how well the canon storyline provided the perfect set-up for this one! Writing this was fulfilling in more ways than one!

Link to story: The Heart wants what it wants  

Ye dosti hum nahi todenge

What can I say about Jai and Veeru? I grew up watching Sholay multiple times, and the love between these two has always brought tears to my eyes. I still ugly cry each time Jai dies in the movie and it surprises me how these two haven't been written about before as a gay couple! I wrote these little vignettes as comic interludes between VeeJai, always keeping in sight the immense love these two shared. I also wrote this as only dialogue (no descriptions) because I felt that really worked in the context of my stories, allowing me to capture the quick and easy banter between the two! Also, I had written an only dialogue one-shot for another fandom and it went down really well, and I found I quite enjoyed the challenge as a writer!

Link to story:  Yeh Dosti Hum Nahi Todenge

g u r l _ e n c h a n t e d

It was completely outside my comfort zone as I had limited knowledge about the LGBTQ+ community and no idea about how to pull off such a character. But when I saw this theme posted on IF, a fantasy story brewed in my mind and I decided to take the leap smiley1

I wanted to create a strong and fearsome LGBTQ character, who is no less than any swoon worthy hero of fantasy romance stories. The fact that he is missing a body part does not prevent him from being a powerful Emperor. 

For this, I researched eunuchs in the olden days of Kings and Queen’s and learned quite a bit about their plight that does continue even in today’s modern world.

Link to story:  The Seer’s Revenge

o y e _ n a k h r e w a a l i

There are many stories about LGBTQ+ community on other social media sites and other sites. I had posted my Shubh Mangal Zyaada Savdhaan OS Collection on another site after being inspired by Ayushmann-Jeetu's chemistry. Then, I realized there was no coming back and since then, I try to write stories about the community as much as I can. 

My main aim while writing any piece is to stir emotions, as much as I can/ Emotions see no gender or sexuality. I try to be as inclusive with my stories as I can be. I try to keep my stories as real as I can, with the amount of sensitivity I can emote to the topics. It's a fun challenge to write outside my comfort zone and to take a peep in the minds and the world of the community. I am a pessimist, but like Ayaan in my one shot 'Memories' I want to believe in a better world and so just try to write a world where my characters can be what they are and love who they want.

Link to stories:

Irrevocably, Crushing On You

Love Knows No Boundaries  

Meera and her A-Maze-ing Tale of Finding Love  

Memories

Shubh Mangal Zyaada OS Collection- Mere Liye Tum Kaafi Ho  

Staircase  

Soul Blow  

That's what Friends are for!  

The Married Woman Two Shots-You are my Second Chance  

t o u r n e s o l 

When I heard about story submissions for the Pride Month, I was very excited about it. I opened a blank page right away to write my stories. Then I realized my knowledge about the LGBTQ+ community is very limited. Being a romantic at heart, I always believed everyone deserves to follow their heart, to be with the person they are in love with. Most importantly, everyone deserves to be who they are. When I started researching and exploring each component of the LGBTQ+ community one by one, I realized the price our society extracts from them for following their heart. The amount of judgement and discrimination they face in our country everyday, for just being who they are, was enough to cause me deep pain. Their basic rights like marrying who they love or something as simple (and noble) as donating blood is taken away from them. Or in some cases a blatant denial of their existence. When I wrote Breaking Free, I tried to touch each color of the rainbow, to bring out the pain of each community in LGBTQ+, and to seek hope that one day things will change for them for the better. My inspiration was hope, and love.

And of course, since I am a huge Flash fan, the series inspired me to write Yours...In a Flash, about an unsaid love brought to the fore by mortal danger. I am a Beyhadh 2 fan too, the lively characters of Rajeev and Rudra were my inspiration behind Mera Hero. In Beyhadh (both the shows), Maya was always possessive for her partner. In Mera Hero, I tried to explore the love between RuRa behind Rudra's jealousy, and if that jealousy is justified.

I tried to get inside the head of my characters when I was writing my stories, to grasp their psychology, how they think and feel. It was difficult, because although I am ally, personally I think and feel differently from the people belonging to LGBTQIA community. I watched interviews of people and read about them for trying to understand their emotions, and hopefully I did not misportray them. (I apologize if I did misportray unintentionally). I loved the entire process of imagining and writing, like it was a whole new adventure for me. I would think of a scenario or a situation for each character and let my imagination run wild.

For my two independent OS, they are fanfictions of two fandoms I hold very dear. My thought process while writing was similar, getting inside the thoughts of the characters and trying to understand how they would feel in the given situation. I loved the process a lot.

Link to stories:

Breaking Free

Mera Hero

Yours...In a Flash   

a s m a a n i x x

I wrote all the KarMan fics during the summer of 2020 and Looking Pretty during Pride Month simply because the track in the show happened to coincide with the theme. Like with all my written works, I write when the creativity strikes. I don't discriminate as to who I'm writing about or what the subject matter is.

I simply picked an emotion / idea I wanted to explore and ran with it. This isn't the first time that I've written on the LGBT+ community so it wasn't an alien concept that I was traversing into. Rather, this community is a very critical part of my identity as it has been seamed into my life right from my childhood. In all the formative stages of my life, this community has played a huge role in creating the person who I am. Hence, to me it's not hard work to write on them. It's as easy as writing on a heterosexual couple.In fact I consider this to be the beauty of writing. Like love, it doesn't discriminate against gender or sexualities. It truly is the one space where one can freely explore and express themselves without having to feel ashamed by who they are and what they desire. Literature is where freedom dwells, creativity is nurtured, and the spirit is allowed to soar and fly away to unimaginable places.

Link to stories:

Aaj mausam bada beimaan hai  

Kiss Me Senseless  

Looking Pretty

Mere liye tum kaafi ho  

Nazm Nazam sa mere  

Sweetness Overload  

The Heart's Song

S e r p e n s o r t i a

I had been reading articles and journals on LGBTQ+, I found our that many people don’t speak up about it openly. I started reading stories on IF and other platforms, taking inspiration. Luckily, The Pride Month Story Submission was announced at the same time, giving me a golden opportunity to start something new - to write LGBTQ+ stories which I was dying to do. 

To be honest, it was my first time writing on this. I did feel a hesitation before starting, my fingers trembled. It was like I am starting a journey for myself altogether because I knew if I start once, I won't stop writing on this again and again. But as I started writing, I became confident and happy that I pushed myself into working on this. I had a smile on my face when I finished my first OS on LGBTQ+. And then, I decided to write more. And I did, happy with every outcome of my work.

Link to stories:

Forbidden desires 

Irresistible Attraction  

Just Another Love story  

Unspoken- Things I never told you

m e t a c r i s e s

Initially, I was looking to get out of my comfort zone in writing, but while researching my interest grew greatly. It felt like a calling to write these two stories, given that there is little to no representation of the LGBTQIA+ community, even in the contemporary interpretations of Indian mythology. I feel elated to have gotten a chance to enhance my understanding of this vibrant community through my works.

Honestly, it did not feel really different from writing traditional romance. The accounts of two people falling in love barely vary in terms of the emotions experienced by the two persons. In my Shikhandi story, the romance does not really play a great part. However, I immensely enjoyed fleshing out the titular character Shikhandi(ni) and exploring the world through his/her eyes. 

Link to stories:

At Dawn they Soiree

Shikhandini   

s t o r m b o r n

Solace

S u d h a r i es and I t s J u s t H r i d e y y

What are the odds? 

We are featuring these stories for a week in the Fan fiction Section, so that you do not miss out on them

Write-up: Mannmohanaa and Viswasruti

Proof-read by:  asmaanixx

Color Coding and Tags: Leenaaa

Edited by Koeli - 2 years ago

ImageImageImage

Hey folks! 

Welcome to the second week of the pride month. It's the time for another fabulous pride contest.

Can you guess the contest before we announce it?

Well here's a h i n t .

This is a very important part of the Pride M a r c h!

Want me to stop talking in riddles and get straight to the point? Are you wondering what you will have to do? Well it is very easy!

All you have to do is 

Without further ado let's get down to the r u l e s.

ImageImageImage

ImageThis is a Pride slogan writing contest.

ImageYou will have to come up with creative and unique slogans in support of the LGBTQ+ community. Something catchy and intelligent that inspires!

ImageMaximum three entries are allowed per person.

ImageAny explicit, political or hateful slogans will be disqualified.

ImageAll your entries need to be submitted by 23rd June 2021, 11.59 PM IST to FFEditors

Remember, the key to win this contest is in your c r e a t i v i t y and originality!

So what are you waiting for? Write your slogans, so that we can prepare for our virtual pride march!!

Until next time, toodles!

Write up : Sonatia 

Beta read by : oye_nakhrewaali

Tags : Leenaaa

Edited by Koeli - 2 years ago

Tagging

Alexii now this is your forte ...you have to win πŸ˜›

Originally posted by Grey-licious

Tagging

Thanks for the tag!

I love reading...will check out these books/stories for sure

Originally posted by Grey-licious

Tagging

Are you talking about the slogan contest?

No...I wont be participating in it

🀣

Originally posted by Amphitrite

Are you talking about the slogan contest?

No...I wont be participating in it

🀣

😲😲😲😲

Whyyy

I'm really glad to hear from all you amazing writers! πŸ‘ the stories have been beautiful and heartwarming! πŸ€—

I'll be sharing book recommendations soon. (Next page first post.)

Thanks for the tag. 

Edited by DelusionsOfNeha - 2 years ago

Reswa for book recs..

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

Red, White and Royal Blue by Case Mcquiston

Becky Albertalli

Can we steal song lyrics to make slogans?? πŸ˜†

"Shade never made anybody less gay"πŸ₯³

https://youtu.be/Dkk9gvTmCXY

"No matter gay, straight, or bi,

Lesbian, transgendered life,

I'm on the right track baby,

I was born to survive."

https://youtu.be/wV1FrqwZyKw

Get inspirations folks!!πŸ€—

Originally posted by DelusionsOfNeha

Can we steal song lyrics to make slogans?? πŸ˜†

Get inspirations folks!!πŸ€—

You know what? Go crazy! Send in slogans that you have written even if they are inspired from some sing/dialogue, as long as they don't show up in Google results.

After all "My sexuality is my sexuality, none of your sexuality" was kinda a fun sloganπŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

Tag in your writer buddied and tell them about their time to shine πŸ˜…