Samantha Akkineni on the cover of Femina 🔥

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 2 years ago

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPx6q_uArTz/

You're finally stepping into the world of the web with The Family Man. What about the show that made you choose it for your web debut?

It was not so much a digital debut as it was an opportunity to accept a challenge because that’s exactly what the role of Raji is. It was the challenge that I was looking for. I’m at a point in my career where a role needs to excite me and give me sleepless nights before I start to shoot. And Raji as a character was just that and I was very excited to play as her.

In fact, we started shooting for the new season even before season one aired! So, naturally, I did not know that it was going to explode the way it did and become this mega-blockbuster show.
So, all-in-all it’s just a great role, working with a great team and getting to debut in this show that is about to release with insane expectations.

You did take your time making your OTT debut, tell us why. And what are your thoughts on the platform itself?

Isn’t that what people did? Especially, in this pandemic. They just lapped up OTT content! It was all anyone did and as an actor especially a female actor at that, you don’t get as many opportunities to showcase talent in mainstream cinema as you would like. But with OTT you have this opportunity to take risks and also the roles offered are a lot more layered and a lot more diverse. So, all in all, it’s really a great time for all of us, in terms of what is being offered and in terms of the digital boom!

The show's cast is replete with stellar talent - from Padma Shri winner Manoj Bajpayee to Priyamani, Sharad Kelkar to other big names. How charged was the atmosphere on the sets of the show?

Well, yeah, it was like entering into an existing family. From the director to the team, they were all already very, very tight. But, it was almost an instant connection for me. From the very first day, it was amazing and we had started with a really trying schedule. It was physically and emotionally exhausting but I definitely could not have done it without the support of this amazing team. Without them, there’s no way the final product would have turned out this way. In fact, I miss them already.

Your presence in the show has created quite a buzz online since the teaser. How do you feel about the response?

I am extremely honoured. In fact, you know I’m sitting here in Mumbai and just meeting the press and meeting the people around is making me feel so warm and welcome and to think I haven’t even had one single film released in Hindi. I feel really special, honestly, to get this kind of a response and I’m really looking forward to doing it justice and not letting anybody down.

So this news was kept under wraps, and it had such a big impact. Are we going to get any more surprises? Can you reveal that?

A lot! the new season is one big gift-wrapped explosive!

So, that leads me to the next question. Season one's cliffhanger end had us on the edge of our seats. Could you give a peek into what to expect in new season?

Well, you know, anything that I might tell you would just be a spoiler.  But I’d like to say that new season has just gotten bigger, it has everything everyone loved about season one and more!

Even though audiences are rarely kind to sequels, but The Family Man has been a different kind of show for Indian viewers. Samantha, what do you think? What are your thoughts on this?

The writing was oh-so refreshing, and more importantly, what I love about Raj and DK is they’re all so intuitive, sensitive and care about what the people are feeling in the country. They are not arrogant in the way they pay attention to the sentiments of the people.
So, it’s not really ‘This is how I feel and I am going to make this.’ Instead,  they carefully listened and read extensively. That’s why The Family Man has so much mass appeal. They were really listening and not just making this for Raj and DK, they were making this for everyone.

It had a little bit of what everyone wanted to see. And that’s the winning formula in this kind of thing.

So, you've also completed 10 years in the industry. How have things changed for you in that period?

Tremendously! I’m at a point in my career where I’m completely accepting of myself. I’m very confident in my decision to pick the roles that I want to and not go with what the overall trend is anymore. So, in a way, lots of things have changed.

Okay and this decade has given you great cinema, enduring friendships, award-winning performances, and a life partner. So, tell us a little about how is married life treating you?

Marriage has empowered me greatly. In fact, I think, I’ve been making the best decisions and working to my fullest potential in the last three years. The last five years is when I’ve done my best work and I’ve been married for three of those years.
So, while everyone said ‘Oh yes, she’s getting married. It’s over,” it was just a new beginning. And Chai (Chaitanya) we’ve been friends since my first film and it’s been eleven or twelve years now. So, he is my best friend and the best partner that I could have ever asked for.

That’s an amazing endorsement for marriage for most people. We can’t possibly end this session without asking about #SamJam... Tell us what’s coming up!

Oh, the first season is over and I had a rollicking time. I was finally on the other side and I thought to myself, this is not easy, so not easy and you guys have a tough job.
It’s easier to answer questions, but it’s not so easy to ask the right questions. With that being said, both sides have their own appeal. It is always fun doing new things and I am a sucker for challenges!

Posted: 2 years ago

Deepika also had worn the same outfit. Wish we had full length pics of Sam as well.