Fan Fictions

🌈 Spread The LOVE with PRIDE 🌈 [Pride Month Celebration]

Viswasruti thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

"There is nothing wrong with you. There's a lot of wrong with the world you live in. People may detest you for being different and not living by society's standards, but deep down, they may wish they dared to do the same." Chris Colfer. 

The first step towards change is awareness! The tragedy of life is the death of genuine feeling, the dearth of inspired response! 

The awareness that only makes it possible to feel the pain and emotional turmoil of others around us.

“The next time someone asks you why LGBTQ+ Pride marches exist or why Gay Pride Month is June, tell them ‘A bisexual woman named Brenda Howard thought it should be." –Brenda Howard (Mother Of Pride)

There is many more to come this month, Lot of Fun, Lot of Masti.

Have a look at what all is stored

https://youtu.be/RFn_WU0OeLI

ImageImageImageImage

Hello, my dear contemplative and reflective IFians. How is quarantine going for you all? Have you done anything creative during this time? 

Every moment is a fresh beginning.

We must understand why a fresh start is necessary to look at the bigger picture. 

Let's start with a small story that you all might be aware of.

In a same-sex marriage case in the recent past, Justice Anand of the High Court of Madras stated that he was trying to break his preconceptions. For that, he said “I want to give myself some more time to churn. Finally, in this case, I realized that words must come from my heart, not from my head. The same will not be possible if I am not completely awakened in this regard.”

To prepare himself to judge this case, he decided to enroll in a psycho-educational session with a counsellor who has expertise in handling LGBTQ+ issues, so that he will pave the way for his evolution, before delivering his judgment!

More than progressive, he is an honest judge who accepted his ineptitude to accept same-sex marriages. which is a sensitive issue where people may react differently because of the stigma associated with this topic. 

True love stories never have endings. Friends, the IF Fan Fiction Team (Fan Fiction Editors, Fan Fiction Graphicers and Beta Readers), is here with a mission for a purpose. We are going to celebrate the whole month of June as the month of love because everyone deserves a chance to love and be loved.

ImageImageImage

June is the P r i d e Month Of Love 

As it is Pride Month, we would like to take this opportunity to spread awareness about the LGBTQ+ community.

June is pride month but do you have any idea why? There is a long history behind the evolution of Pride Month. People belonging to the LGBTQ+ community celebrate this entire month to commemorate the 1969 Stonewall Uprising in Manhattan, USA. It is considered to be one of the tipping points of the LGBTQ+ movement in America.

What does L G B T Q + mean?

It stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer. The + includes all other spectrums of sexuality and gender like aromantic, asexual, pansexual, panromantic etc.

LGBTQ+ F a c t s and A w a r e n e s s

ImageThe LGBTQ+ community is now a well-debated and well-written issue. Until recently, such topics were not taken fairly or generously in India.

ImageHomosexuality was never illegal or a criminal offence in ancient India, but it was criminalized by the British Raj during their rule in India.

ImageMore than 53% of the LGBTQ+ population are women. 5.1% of women identify as LGBTQ+, compared with 3.9% of men worldwide.

ImageThe sexual, romantic and emotional appeal of the LGBTQ+ community differs from the norms set by society.

ImageMore than the child, parents have a duty to accept the preferred identity of their progeny, regardless of what it is.

ImageBeing different is neither a crime nor a sin. Religion should not be used to create differences in order to foster mutual love.

ImageMarriage is a human right, not a heterosexual privilege. It is centred on love and is a sacred union of souls. Nobody should be able to dictate how one is supposed to fall in love or with whom.

ImageApart from humans, homosexuality is present in more than 450 species of living beings throughout the world. It's hard to understand why people feel that having a different child means the failure of the mother/ parent.

ImageSometimes oppression based on sexual orientation can turn into physical violence, which has occurred in many parts of the world in the past. No matter which part of the world one is from, it has been proven that trying to repress one's sexual orientation can lead to physical violence.

ImageIn surveys of lesbian, gay and bisexual people, 52-87% have been verbally harassed, 21-27% have been pelted with objects, 13-38% have been chased or followed and 9-24% have been physically assaulted worldwide.

ImageHomosexuality is not a type of mental illness, cannot be "cured" by psychotherapy. These so-called "treatments" repress one's sexual identity and leave behind a massive amount of emotional and psychological trauma on that person for a long time.

ImageThere is no definable “lifestyle” for them to follow, just like there is no standard for a heterosexual lifestyle.

ImageAlthough LGBTQ+ is the most commonly used term in the community, there are many more terms used to describe LGBTQ+ people such as “Queer Community” or “Rainbow Community”.  The initials and terms are evolving continuously, but the most important thing is to be respectful and use the terms that people identify themselves with.

We should be an ally for them, understanding them and making them comfortable in the society in which they live.

Legal aspects of  LGBTQ+ i s s u e s in India

Love can't be restrained. Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto itself a higher law. 

Love is love. Everybody’s journey is individual.

After a long fight to safeguard LGBTQ+ peoples' rights, Shashi Tharoor introduced a bill for the repeal of Section 377, but it was rejected in the House of Parliament by a vote of 71-24 in 2015.

On 2 February 2016, the Supreme Court decided to review the criminalization of homosexual activity. At length, the jury discussed the issue but shelved it again.

In 2017, the Supreme Court unanimously ruled that the right to individual privacy is an intrinsic and fundamental right under the Indian Constitution. The Court also ruled that a person's sexual orientation is a private matter, which gave hope to many LGBTQ+ activists.

On September 6th, 2018, the Supreme Court announced in a historic judgment that 'gay sex is not a crime.'

H i g h l i g h t s

The decision was delivered by a five-judge bench headed by India's outgoing Chief Justice Dipak Misra and was unanimous.

While reading out the judgment, he said: "Criminalizing carnal intercourse is irrational, arbitrary and manifestly unconstitutional."

Another judge, Indu Malhotra, said she believed, "history owes an apology" to LGBTQ+ people for ostracizing them.

Justice DY Chandrachud said, "The state had no right to control the private lives of LGBTQ+ community members and that the denial of the right to sexual orientation was the same as denying the right to privacy."

The ruling effectively permitted consenting homosexual adults to have sexual relations with one another, without fearing legal consequences. 

UN welcomes verdict, scenes of joy everywhere.

Immediately, Manavendra Singh Gohil, an Indian Prince, said, "I am happy, we got true Independence today. Gay rights can't be won in the courtrooms only—they have to be won in the hearts and minds of the people too.”

He is the first gay Prince in the world who declared his sexual preferences openly. He runs a charity in Gujarat called the Lakshya Trust, which works for the betterment of the LGBTQ+ community.

ImageImageImageImage

Sexual orientation is a type of biological phenomena that is natural and inherent to an individual and is controlled by neurological and biological factors. Any discrimination based on one's sexual orientation would entail a violation of the fundamental right of freedom of expression.

Relationships should be built around respect, understanding, acceptance, and adaptation; never on gender or sexuality. 

The biggest communication issue is that we don't listen to understand. Most of the time we listen to respond! That's the paradox of perceptions on relationships in life. 

Despite the increasing acceptance and approval, despite the support from eminent Attorneys and Advocates who are fighting for their rights, the world is still a very difficult place for LGBTQ+ people to live in. They are discriminated against and mistreated at school, at home, and later at workplaces. Perhaps because of this treatment, one-third of all suicide attempts are believed to be LGBTQ+ related.

Our m e s s a g e to our LGBTQ+ friends and Allies

An ‘ally' is someone who supports LGBTQ+ people, including personal commitment to fighting oppression and prejudice, supporting community interests, and acting to create interpersonal, societal and institutional change for the benefit of the community.

Instead of confusing yourself, pause for a while and take a moment to understand the problem. If there are gaps in our knowledge, we should educate ourselves to address them. Today, there is a plethora of resources from books, podcasts, documentaries, articles, and online information to understand the issue well. Even if it comes as a shock at first, do not lash out at the person in an abusive manner. Please remember, at the end of the day, all they need love.

To our friends in the community, be strong, and keep your chin up. Don't let anyone put you down. This life is worth living with respect. Stay strong and long enough to see betterment. The world is changing. Please participate in that change whether you are a member of that group or an ally. March forward with a smile on your face.

My dear IF members, we would like to know your views/opinions on this subject. Requesting you all to make sure that your posts and comments are in accordance with forum rules. We respect your freedom of speech and expression, however, we need to ensure that everyone respects others' views and can post maturely.

Extending our best wishes to all the members.

Disclaimer: We created this thread in the hope of spreading awareness. We have no intention of speaking on LGBTQ+ voices. If you are an LGBTQ+ member and would like us to fix something in this thread, please feel free to contact the team personally on PM.

Pride Month Concept: Koeli

Write Ups by : Viswasruti and Lizziebennett

Quiz by: Lizziebennett

Video Mix : Mannmohanaa

Tags and Color-coding: Leenaaa 

Siggies: Grey-licious

Proof-read by: asmaanixx

Special Thanks: BilliCat

Edited by Koeli - 2 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

LizzieBennet thumbnail

ImageImageImageImage

Hello, fellow IFians and dear LGBTQ+ friends! 

Welcome to Pride Month and the first week of our humble attempt to commemorate it right here in your favourite place to be -- India Forums!

To add to what my dear friend, Madhuri has so beautifully stated in the post above, I’d like to pose some questions to you amazing people that I’d like you to carefully think over before you answer! 

Here goes ...

Have you ever experienced discrimination simply because of who you are?

Have you ever been made to feel lesser than others because of your circumstances?

Have you ever been sidelined or your opinions disregarded just because you belong to a less privileged, minority group?

I'm sure the answer has been  y e s ’  for many of you at some time or the other.

Unfortunately, marginalization and/or discrimination are truths that have existed since time immemorial. The dominant or majority groups have always exercised their control and hegemony, drowning out the minority groups to the extent of oppressing them.

History has been witness to such terrible acts by dominant groups ranging from colonization, conversion, assimilation, ethnic cleansing and genocide. 

All of these monstrous, inhuman deeds stem from the assumption that somehow particular ways of thinking, specific choices or certain circumstances make some people more privileged than others. They believe this mindset allows them to exercise this privilege in harmful ways. 

My dear friends, isn’t this a fallacy of epic proportions? 

The LGBTQ+ community is an example of a minority group that faces this sort of discrimination day in and day out, being stuck with stigmatizing, pejorative labels. 

If you view this through the lens of intersectionality, this kind of marginalization can be even more significant. 

It makes you sit up and t h i n k, right?

Science has proven that sexual orientation is not a choice or a disease, but a complex interplay of hormonal, genetic and environmental factors.  

Even so, the LGBTQ+ community is often the target of ridicule, hatred, and sometimes just plain ignorance or indifference.

In 2018, India did make some positive strides when it revoked the part of Section 377 that criminalized homosexuality by terming it as ‘against the order of nature.

However, Indian LGBTQ+ citizens still experience social and legal hardships not faced by non-LGBTQ+ persons. 

Same-sex marriages are still not recognized by law in India. Same-sex couples are also not allowed to legally adopt, not to mention the lack of inheritance and other legal rights that are given to legally married couples. 

Transgendered and intersex people face other types of discrimination, often being relegated to the fringes of society and not being allowed to integrate into the mainstream.

Their right to inclusivity and basic human rights are thus being constantly infringed upon. 

Don't you think this is u n f a i r, unjust, and plain wrong?

It is time for us to get together, to raise our collective voices, and to support and advocate for the LGBTQ+ community by being Allies.

ImageImageImage

If you would like to be an A l l y , here are some basic tips on how you can begin.

ImageBe a listener and be willing to talk.

ImageBe open-minded.

ImageBe inclusive in whatever way you can, wherever you can - at work and in your social arena, and also by using inclusive language.

ImageUnderstand that we do not choose our sexual preferences and that all sexual orientations are normal. 

ImageDon't assume that all your friends and acquaintances are straight and identify as the gender binary of male or female. Understand that trans men are men, trans women are women and non-binary people do not identify with any of the genders (men/women)

ImageUsing proper pronouns is very important. If you do not know the pronoun someone goes by, use “they” as default.

ImageThe coming-out process can be extremely stressful, so don’t assume that they will come out to you, but be there for them if they do. Do not speak over their voices. 

ImageIt’s never okay to assume that if someone has come out to you, they will want to make the ‘coming out’ public. Coming out is a lifelong process, and no one except the individual concerned has the right to disclose that information. Offer them support, but leave the disclosure to the individual.

ImageAnti-LGBTQ+ comments and jokes are harmful. Speak up against them and don’t be afraid to let people know that you find them offensive.

ImageConfront and challenge your own prejudices and biases, even if it is uncomfortable to do so.

ImageDefend your LGBTQ+ friends against discrimination, and advocate for inclusivity and equality when the context demands it.

ImageBelieve that all people, regardless of gender identity and sexual orientation, should be treated with dignity and respect

ImageIf you see LGBTQ+ people being misrepresented in the media, speak up against it on social media, or report it to an organization for social justice in your area.

Educate yourself and continuously expand your knowledge on LGBTQ+ terminology, issues, rights, and ways you can help.

ImageImageImageImage

To augment your understanding and to test yourself on your current LGBTQ+ knowledge, take our

q u i z here!

(Link: https://www.indiaforums.com/play/quiz/121) 

Do share your experiences on what you learned, either through the quiz or elsewhere, and any resources that will help all our friends here become more effective Allies! Feel free to begin conversations, ask questions and share knowledge in this peaceful and positive zone. We would love to hear from you!

Don’t just stand by

Be a proud Ally!

We also have a treasure trove of some spectacular LGBTQ+ stories by the talented authors on this forum featured all this month in the Fanfiction section.  

Check our June announcement for links to these fantabulous stories and show them some love! (Link: https://www.indiaforums.com/fanfiction/chapter/18382)

ImageImageImage

And last but not the least...Here are some freebies for everyone on India Forums.

[Direct Link: https://i.imgur.com/dF182o5.jpg]

[Direct Link: https://i.imgur.com/aDDAViJ.jpg]

[Direct Link: https://i.imgur.com/dkhuOW9.jpg]

Edited by LizzieBennett - 2 years ago
Grey-licious thumbnail

Let the Celebrations Begin 🥳🥳🥳🥳

Edited by Grey-licious - 2 years ago
Amphitrite thumbnail

First of all, the whole FF Team deserves applause for every bit of information and every step you guys take to bridge that gap between the heterosexuals and the LGBTQ+ Community

Being an ally myself I do know people who will blatantly disregard others. When society sets up a skeletal framework of how an individual should be and when they do not fit into that framework they are looked down upon. I have a friend who's homosexual. There was a time she was scared, nervous and didn't know what she should do. Neither had the society educated on how she should feel except that it's weird and neither had the school ever said about the same. 

But then I guess when decriminalising Section 377 finally made her come out in front of me. I wasn't just happy but also somewhere proud that finally, she was proud of who she is. At times the hesitation was still there about how she should be open about her sexual orientation but gradually when steps were taken.

Now she understands that this isn't weird as many used to say. This who she is. And there isn't anything strange about it. Whom she wishes to love is her choice and no one should force it upon her.

Being what I am is what truly makes me feel me. No one can try to snatch my identity. If I don't fit into the binary gender system then it doesn't. I feel neither of the genders hence it doesn't make me weird. It makes me, me. If I love someone regardless of their gender then it doesn't make me different. It makes me, me.

My identity and my love choices are what makes me, me, and no one should have any issues with me being myself

wayward thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8

Happy Pride everyone! Let us band together to end the stigma once and for all! 🤗

Excellent initiative @FF DT 

Edited by metacrisis - 2 years ago
Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

Sylvia Rivera and Marsha P Johnson, two trans women of colour, were both instrumental in getting gay liberation, together they then founded STAR, which aimed to get fair treatment and acknowledgement for transgender people. 

Marsha P. Johnson, born and also known as Malcolm Michaels Jr., was an American gay liberation activist and self-identified drag queen. Known as an outspoken advocate for gay rights, Johnson was one of the prominent figures in the Stonewall uprising of 1969.

Sylvia Rivera was an American gay liberation and transgender rights activist who was also a noted community worker in New York. Rivera, who identified as a drag queen, participated in demonstrations with the Gay Liberation Front.

Street Transvestite Action Revolutionaries (STAR 1970-73) was a gay, gender non-conforming and transgender street activist organization founded in 1970 by Sylvia Rivera and Marsha P. Johnson, subculturally-famous New York City drag queens of color.

https://www.nswp.org/timeline/event/street-transvestite-action-revolutionaries-found-star-house

https://womenshistory.si.edu/herstory/object/sylvia-rivera

https://marshap.org/about-mpji/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/52981395.amp

Watch The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson, 2017 Documentary to learn more.

I'm really glad to read this write-up!! The LGBTQIA+ community has faced social ostracism for centuries. But today there is more awareness and understanding. The current generation is more vocal and supportive! 

But with this there is still very little acceptance amongst the society, whether educated or not, especially in India. With barely any representation in mass media, the LGBT+ youth are not confident in sharing their sexuality. 

I'm glad to have very supportive friends who accepted me and have loved me even more! 

But even today, we get constant threats of on social media and they just won't stop. 

Being treated like a human is the bare minimum and people can't evn do that and it shows the failure of society. 

Thanks to the DT for making this thread and raising awareness!! 👏🤗

Edited by DelusionsOfNeha - 2 years ago
Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

That's the Gay-agenda against homophobes🥳

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPg9nQRLTOm/?utm_medium=copy_link

Koeli thumbnail

First of all an amazing work done by the entire fan fiction development team (FFGs, BRs and FFEs). 

I am so glad that specially youths are vocal about their choices and finally the discrimination is getting lesser. The rate of acceptance has increased.  I am so proud to be born and raised in a city where the first pride march was held in India. 

I wish us all a very happy Pride Month. 

agreatwcr thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 6

First and foremost I would love to appreciate the idea of celebrating the Pride month. Next is the thread is so informative for people who didn't know much about LGBTQ+ as well as Pride month. Even I didn't knew so much till date but the thread was actually too informative. 

I would really recommend each and every LGBTQ+ member around(if any) to do whatever they feel comfortable with. Society norms are not a easy thing to discard. But it's not impossible. Let us not allow outsiders to judge what we can do with our life and body. It is about US and only WE are allowed to take decisions about it. 

Let's not be shy to feel proud while celebrating the Pride month❤️

Loved the thread and everything it contained! Fab work guys!🤗

oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

Happy Pride month everyone!⭐️ This is to a brighter, more tolerant and a better world where we can love who want and be who went want❤️