Rewatched Rockstar --- your thoughts on the movie?

Posted: 2 years ago

Rewatched Rockstar and liked it just as much as I did the first time around, despite Nargis Fakhri's presence! It's an interesting movie. I don't think it's a love story as much as it is the story of an artist, and his journey from anonymity to shattering fame, and the cost it entails in terms of his personal life.

In terms of screenplay, it falters just like most of Imtiaz Ali's movies. But the other aspects like themes ( artistic angst and self-destruction and intense love), cinematography, and music and of course the phenomenal acting by Ranbir Kapoor makes this movie a treat for the senses!

I loved the narrative style and the non-linear narration. I loved how the movie's title is deceptive and the movie doesn't conform to the template of the usual movie about musicians. It's a more intimate, personal journey here and the music is absolutely mind-blowing.

But yeah, my problem was the angst seemed overdone at times. Jordan ( Janardhan) starts out as a man-child in Rockstar, with very lofty ideas of love and music and no practical experiences in either. It is only when he is not able to share his life with his lady love that his music gets tinged with a rebellious hue.

My take: it was Ranbir's acting which elevated the movie to a great extent. A lesser actor, and the whole rebellion thing would have been a disaster. Characterization is something Imitiaz makes complicated - and it takes a great artist to pull it off. Exactly the difference between say a Ranbir in Rockstar and Kartik in Love Aaj Kal 2 - the acting.

The intensity which Ranbir brought to his acting made the character authentic, IMO.

A movie cannot work on acting and music alone, of course. The faultiness of the film lies in the snail's pace, the all-over-the-place screenplay, and the implementation which is patchy and irregular.

Your thoughts on the movie?

From what i remember, it was edgy, unrealistic, overdramatic.

Originally posted by TrustNo1

From what i remember, it was edgy, unrealistic, overdramatic.

Exactly!!

The saving grace are the acting and music.

Originally posted by mintyblue

Exactly!!

The saving grace are the acting and music.

just music for me. 

Movie is incomplete without mohit chauhan

Ranbir gave the performance of a lifetime and I am with you about the non linear narrative- was quite interesting and beautifully shot too. I even liked the idea of an artist mining his pain and making it into art- the idea has been overdone since then, with KJO stealing it straight off into ADHM but Imtiaz did it first and did it well.

But I hate hate HATE the grief p*rn aspect of these stories, where the woman dies or is raped or killed and the "trigger" this becomes in the man's life. 

Plus, really not a fan of the cancer storyline.They did it right in the original Love Story film in Hollywood in the 1970s but this storyline should've been left there. Very lazy plot device.

ARR was the real hero of the movie.

Originally posted by TrustNo1

Movie is incomplete without mohit chauhan

Oh yes. Forgot to mention the gorgeous music, it was chillingly good and Mohit was extraordinary! ARR at his finest too.

Props to Ranbir also for actually trying to act like a credible musician who knows his instruments, unlike the usual "air guitar" nonsense our actors do. LOL.

Originally posted by Sashay01

Ranbir gave the performance of a lifetime and I am with you about the non linear narrative- was quite interesting and beautifully shot too. I even liked the idea of an artist mining his pain and making it into art- the idea has been overdone since then, with KJO stealing it straight off into ADHM but Imtiaz did it first and did it well.

But I hate hate HATE the grief p*rn aspect of these stories, where the woman dies or is raped or killed and the "trigger" this becomes in the man's life. 

Plus, really not a fan of the cancer storyline.They did it right in the original Love Story film in Hollywood in the 1970s but this storyline should've been left there. Very lazy plot device.

+100👍🏼

The film sucked big time