Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

Lucknow ki tehjeeb aur Dilli Ka Dil

Bluegrass thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Namaste!

So, I have very recently watched the show and few things irritate me apart from the problematic attitudes of the leads are that the Guptas are from Lucknow but their characterisation had nothing true to a Lucknowi middle class family. That irritates me; northern India is not a monolith.

Secondly, the wardrobe is horrible in order to show that she's a small-town-girl. The thing is Lucknow is not a small town, and the Guptas, apparently, are Chikan artisans . I think, they googled the most famous crafts from Lucknow and gave all of them to the Guptas. They could have added, at least, Chikan clothes in the bitiyas' wardrobe. Anyway, I find the idea that people from small-towns don't have a sense of style or decorum to be disgusting. Lastly, I think as IPodcastKKND discussed, the idea of poor or middle-class people not knowing style or decorum is disgusting. So, Manorama is not only ridiculous but also from a lower-class background.

Thirdly, they could have paid attention to the Delhi sets. From what I know of Delhi, it is not as spacious as shown in Buaji's neighbourhood. So, that irritates me. They always tried to contrast Khushi's natal culture with Arnav's but without any honesty.

I have already ranted about the controlling tendencies of Nani and Anjali as well as Lavanya's entire character arc. But I hate hate hate how they normalise workplace romance. Everything about Lavanya and Arnav's dynamic is just unnecessary.

Okay, this is a production laziness, but it's extremely disingenuous to not give the body-, doubles the same jewellery as the actors. It makes the audience realize that it's make-believe.

Edited by Bluegrass - 2 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Autumn_Rose thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

" find the idea that people from small-towns don't have a sense of style or decorum is disgusting. Lastly, I think as IPodcastKKND discussed, the idea of poor or middle-class people not knowing style or decorum is disgusting. So, Manorama is not only ridiculous but also from a lower-class background. "

^^ Whether it's a nice thing to say/ show is another matter. But IT is true in many cases. I have personally witnessed it. There are certain things I'd rather not say lol. 

Sense of style is different and it keeps changing - its just our perception. Personally, I feel it's just how we think  it is. For Lavanya and her friends.. the called Khushi chamkili and behenji and what not. It was their perception and were conditioned to feel that way, but her desi style was fabulous! Also, when Khushi dressed up like Manorama, she looked prettier IMO. 

The only problem I had with wardrobe was, before marriage Khushi wearing the same dress with different colors.. and so did Lavanya.. ek hi suit alag colors main kon pehenta hai๐Ÿ˜†

Edited by Autumn_Rose - 2 years ago
Autumn_Rose thumbnail

They could have just shown Mumbai.. 

Those sweaters were so out of place. Do they realise how freezing it is on New Year's Eve in Delhi!!! They are all frolicking around without any warm clothes. ๐Ÿ˜†

Edited by Autumn_Rose - 2 years ago
Bluegrass thumbnail

Originally posted by: Autumn_Rose

" find the idea that people from small-towns don't have a sense of style or decorum is disgusting. Lastly, I think as IPodcastKKND discussed, the idea of poor or middle-class people not knowing style or decorum is disgusting. So, Manorama is not only ridiculous but also from a lower-class background. "

^^ Whether it's a nice thing to say/ show is another matter. But IT is true in many cases. I have personally witnessed it. There are certain things I'd rather not say lol.

[No, but someone not being able to afford fancy clothes or having a different sense of style is not a character quirk. It was presented as a character quirk whether be it Sim, Manorama or Khushi. It is treated as a comedic plot-point. Contrast this with Payal or Garima's wardrobe.]

Sense of style is different and it keeps changing - its just our perception. Personally, I feel it's just how we think  it is. For Lavanya and her friends.. the called Khushi chamkili and behenji and what not. It was their perception and were conditioned to feel that way, but her desi style was fabulous! Also, when Khushi dressed up like Manorama, she looked prettier IMO.

[I don't have problems with her desi clothes but that she had same sort of clothes for every occasion, she dresses up the same way everyday everywhere. It was presented as a character quirk, but it was very unrealistic. Again, she's from Lucknow which wasn't reflected in her character apart from cribbing about Delhi and chikan sarees.]

The only problem I had with wardrobe was, before marriage Khushi wearing the same dress with different colors.. and so did Lavanya.. ek hi suit alag colors main kon pehenta hai๐Ÿ˜†

[Yes, exactly.]

Edited by Bluegrass - 2 years ago
Bluegrass thumbnail

They could have just shown Mumbai.. 

Those sweaters were so out of place. Do they realise how freezing it is on New Year's Eve in Delhi!!! They are all frolicking around without any warm clothes. ๐Ÿ˜†

Oh, that's my main problem with any show based in Delhiโ€” the lack of woollen clothes.

Autumn_Rose thumbnail

Originally posted by: Bluegrass

Oh, that's my main problem with any show based in Delhiโ€” the lack of woollen clothes.

I always felt bad for Barun, wearing that suit in the Bombay heat and humidity ๐Ÿ˜†

I think they would have had to shoot somewhere colder, which may not have been practical. About the clothes, I always felt that it was due to not wanting them to spend money.. ek type ka suit is ok.. but same dress different colors? Seriously, what the ๐Ÿ˜† Her clothes were better after she gets married to Arnav.

In tv series Jodha Akbar also, we used to cry to get Jodha some new clothes. Paridhi Sharma used to keep repeating those lehengas ๐Ÿ˜†

Indian tv shows donโ€™t have budget for clothes it seems ๐Ÿ˜†

Autumn_Rose thumbnail

By the way.. some of her suits do have chiken embroidery on them

Bluegrass thumbnail

By the way.. some of her suits do have chiken embroidery on them

Yes, some of them do have chikankari, but they didn't continue with that. Garima's saaris on the other hand were always ebullient.

dramebaaz.af thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

You're right about the inconsistencies and the detail flaws. Especially in regards to costumes. Now since I'm not Indian, I can't speak for the architecture etc but I like to assume that the small old neighbourhoods of Delhi are similar to Lahore's, and in light of that, the set could've used so much more detail to bring out the charm of the cities.

There was so much potential in establishing the juxtaposition of AR group having a fashion house and Guptas being local artisans, however all of that forgotten overnight by the Payal Aakash wedding. 

Khushi's clothes after the wedding somehow got worse and worse. I like the plain blue-tealish dress she wore but the velvet ones looked horrible, especially in comparison to the suits she's wearing in first ten episodes. 

Even with Arnav's wardrobe, after the second wedding they really let the man go. He did not look like he was sponsoring a pagent with hair overly gelled and looking greasy-ish. 

And the set just got dirtier and they didn't keep up with it. 

Definitely agree with you on body-doubles. It's always painful to watch so many of the kidnapping track scenes and see the hands and jewellery and clothes change.

These little things tie up the story well, and establish a stable narrative but alas! 

Bluegrass thumbnail

Originally posted by: dramebaaz.af

You're right about the inconsistencies and the detail flaws. Especially in regards to costumes. Now since I'm not Indian, I can't speak for the architecture etc but I like to assume that the small old neighbourhoods of Delhi are similar to Lahore's, and in light of that, the set could've used so much more detail to bring out the charm of the cities.

There was so much potential in establishing the juxtaposition of AR group having a fashion house and Guptas being local artisans, however all of that forgotten overnight by the Payal Aakash wedding. 

Khushi's clothes after the wedding somehow got worse and worse. I like the plain blue-tealish dress she wore but the velvet ones looked horrible, especially in comparison to the suits she's wearing in first ten episodes. 

Even with Arnav's wardrobe, after the second wedding they really let the man go. He did not look like he was sponsoring a pagent with hair overly gelled and looking greasy-ish. 

And the set just got dirtier and they didn't keep up with it. 

Definitely agree with you on body-doubles. It's always painful to watch so many of the kidnapping track scenes and see the hands and jewellery and clothes change.

These little things tie up the story well, and establish a stable narrative but alas! 

Also, the fact that she got married to an apparently fashion mogul? Why wasn't she given upbeat clothes? It wasn't as if AR exclusively dealt in 'western' couture. And, budgeting can't be blamed for these small things; this was one of the biggest shows at the time.

They really did a grave injustice to Sobti with the cravats, hair gel, and cakey makeup. He looks drop dead gorgeous whenever these things were not burdening him.