Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Why we liked Maddy over Saif in Rehna Hain Tere Dil Mein? - Page 2

Maroonporsche thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

This content was originally posted by: Krishnapanchali

because nowdays toxicity is misinterpreted to be sexy 

No back then it was and now people are more politically correct. 

Tho I feel fictional entertainment no rules apply but that's just me 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sashay01 thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail + 3

Great thread! I loved both Maddy and Saif- but I will confess in the film Saif's character stole my heart and I definitely thought I would've gone with him if I were Reena

FilmiDhun thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

... who is this "we" who liked Maddy more than Saif? ðŸ˜•

Even as a 5year old kid, I liked Saif's character way more than Maddy's in RHTDM when I saw it for the first time. Sam ( Saif's character) came across as well-mannered, mature and rational- qualities that I admire in real life people and always found attractive. Maddy on the other hand was a misbehaving, hot-headed, gunda who had little conscience about the consequences of his actions. Forget what he did to Rina, the kind of behaviour he dishes out to other people in the film I also found very disturbing.🤢

Like that one guy who tried to intervene in between Maddy and Rina at the latter's house when Maddy's deceit was revealed. The guy didn't even do anything much aggressive and just told him to back off(edit- ok I just rewatched the scene again and the guy did slap maddy. But it was after Maddy pushed him, and Rina herself had called the guy to throw Maddy out of the house, so there's that). Maddy and his entire gang beat the guy up the next day. They also try to gang up and brutally mutilate Sam (who did absolutely nothing btw) but at the last moment Maddy comes back to his "senses" 

Let me make it clear I like RHTDM only and only for the songs. Otherwise, the countless problematic stuff that Maddy does in the film, his audacity to behave like he is the bechara and the one who got his heart broken by the girl, his little to no introspection about his past actions, his friends and father treating him as some kind of hero, all of this makes it really difficult to appreciate the film or the kind of love story it tried to glorify in it.

Edited by FilmiDhun - 2 years ago
loginidran thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

I like Maddy the actor over Saif the actor but in the movie I couldn’t stand Maddy’s character so much that I couldn’t even finish the movie. Also Dia’s character was such a spineless bland character portrayed also so blandly by the actress that I don’t wonder why she could never take off from there.

Edited by cutejodikangal - 2 years ago
Agni_Jytsona thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 9

This content was originally posted by: Maroonporsche

No back then it was and now people are more politically correct. 

Tho I feel fictional entertainment no rules apply but that's just me 

i am not really sure about opinions being very different now because draco malfoy is still a popular character and to put it simply he was shit 

about fictional entertainment i guess it depends i personally dont find shitty behavior entertaining tbh 

Silpa20 thumbnail
IPL 2023 Match Winner Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9

Didn't like Maddy's character.🤢

Haegeum thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 9 Thumbnail + 4

Disagree about Iron Man and Captain America thing. Iron Man wasn’t the most popular Avengers in the comics( Cap was more popular). He is most popular Avengers in the movies due to Robert Downey’s acting . Replace him with any other actor and it would have fallen flat .

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

I think it's the rebel factor. Look at Kabir Singh, for example.

I was just thinking Kabir Singh received a lot of flak - and rightfully so- because of the toxic masculinity embedded in the character's veins. But what we have to take into account is he was also a rebel - that too, one without a cause! - and that kind of led to his popularity among the youth.

Kabir’s misplaced angst and agony which simply left me cold, did find a lot of takers. A rebel who finds himself at odds with society's norms has always been a popular motif in literature and cinema, and usually the youth identifies with such characters. 

So, do you think the popularity of the film stemmed from Maddy's self-conscious 'rebel' act rather than the toxic masculinity?

Edited by mintyblue - 2 years ago
InspectorShirke thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Simple reason, Toxic and bad guys are preferred over the nice guys in the BW movies.

But its not just the BW, it is same irl, you see drug dealers, bullies, all sorts of bad guys with girlfriends but nice guys are presumed to be boring by the girls.

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

This content was originally posted by: InspectorShirke

Simple reason, Toxic and bad guys are preferred over the nice guys in the BW movies.

But its not just the BW, it is same irl, you see drug dealers, bullies, all sorts of bad guys with girlfriends but nice guys are presumed to be boring by the girls.

That's a generalisation and I don't think its true. Girls do like nice guys, and I know a lot of girls who would never want to get associated with bad guys.

I also think laws of the fictional universe operate differently, though, and I don't think it's so much about the toxic act which is preferred but these kind of characters inspire curiosity and that's what works in their favour. That's just my opinion.