Raghav OS : Adieu, My Love!

Posted: 2 years ago

“Love is not proud, self seeking or rude. It is not easily angered. And it does not keep records of wrongdoings. It always protects, always trust, always hopes, always preseveres.”  

- Bible.            

Despite the late hour, her husband walking into the room with a liquor bottle, hanging loosely by it’s neck, in his hand wasn’t worth her attention or so Pallavi thought.

The man is often drunk but mysteriously sober 24/7, she knew. Because these days the best he manages to achieve is “blessed numbness”  despite drinking like a fish.

Her gaze followed him to the closet and she blinked hard as it zeroed in on the bottle. Instead of his usual whiskey decanter, he held his treasured wine bottle which he was apparently saving for the “big day” i.e. arrival of Amma and Keerti in this cold castle he calls a home.

“Is Amma coming home to live with us Raghav?” the words were out before she could question the wisdom of them.

Only few hours back she’d been hurling angry insults at him in front of his clients, who had the misfortune of visiting their home, which of course fell on deaf ears.

But he didn’t seemed so dispassionate now. She, naturally, braced herself for a biting response.

She watched as he turned and approached her with a smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes.

“It was a fool’s dream. I’m over it now” he said softly settling  on the cold floor right in front of her and held up the wine bottle in his hand. “Do you want some of it?”

Pallavi went still, her face turning an alarming shade of white. If there was one thing she knew about this man with surety was that Raghav Rao isn’t a quitter. With his dogged determination alone, the man could have defeated the Napoleon himself.

“What’s wrong with you? Have you been smoking weed, now that alcohol has failed you?” Anxiety drew her to the edge of the bed.

“Saaree ka Dukaan” he chuckled, mumbling the words to himself as if testing the magic in them. There wasn’t any. “Ghamandi Rao” and “Saree Ka Dukaan” lost their magic after entering this sordid mess they called a marriage. By accepting each other as husband and wife , they lost each other in every way possible.

But, still, her chest tightened hearing him call her that for the first time after their marriage.

“What is it Raghav? You’re scaring me.”  she asked, her expressions growing alarmed.

“I’m leaving.” his quiet words resounded through her like thunder and made her stomach queasy. He didn’t meant it like leaving for a business trip or a holiday type of leaving. No. He was leaving their home. He was leaving... her.

It felt as though the air had been sucked out of her system and she took a long pause before she could even bring herself to say the word. “Why?”

“I just realised that I need to go” he replied without answering her question.

“R..Ra..Raghav..” the rude honking of a car outside made her jump.

“Must be the cab” he stood, swaying dizzily but was quick to steady himself.

She watched him, frozen, through a blurred vision as he took off his wrist watch and tossed it on the bed beside her. His wallet, mobile, car keys and blazer followed.

“What are you doing?” she asked breathlessly as her throat constricted.

Bending down he pressed his lips to her forehead, her eyes closed on their own accord. The contact was brief, he was in a hurry. Easing back a little he ran his thumb over her dry lips, his voice barely a whisper. “Adieu, my love”

It wasn’t just an endearment, it was closest to a confession, she was certain, she’ll ever get from her husband. Somehow it managed to break her heart into million pieces.

He gave her a slow lazy smile before heading out of the room. Out of her life.

A cascade of shiver ran through her spine as the loss of his touch finally registered in her brain. She chased after him and dragged him to a stop by wrapping her arms around him and pressing herself against his back.

“Farhad... Harish... Amma... Keerti....” she cried every name she could think of as her silent sobs gave way to hysterical crying. 

“Please.... Raghav... Please....” she clutched tighter as he tried to peel her off himself.

“Shhh.... Calm down... Take a deep breath..” he whispered softly backing her up against the wall in his arms.

She fisted his shirt in her hands, keeping him close, trying hard to regain her breath amidst her violent sobs.

“Pallavi... Let go of me. You’ll be fine. You’ll be... happy” he whispered raggedly, trying to loosen her death grip on him.

“Why?” Tears in her eyes made everything around her swim.

“I’m drained, Pallavi. This is hurting bad. I want this pain to end.” she, with everything in her, wanted to believe that there was still a chance. For her. For them. But the raw pain etched plainly on his handsome face taunted her that it was too late.

“Your presence in this house has made me happier than I have ever been since before my Appa died. But, then again, I’ve never been so miserable before. The bad outnumbered the good by many folds. I’m afraid you’ll never acknowledge my efforts  to make up for my misdeeds. I’m not ready to walk into the same storm that once left me for dead... I’ll be damned if I again bleed myself dry waiting another ten years for a forgiveness that you’ll never grant me. I need respite, Pallavi. Let me go and search it.” When he spoke again the agony in his heart spoke in the form of tears he blotted before they could make it out of his eyes.

“I love you..” the words were almost out of  her mouth but they felt hollow, even in her mind. Had she loved him she wouldn’t have damaged his spirit like this. Had she loved him she wouldn’t have hold onto his mistakes so stubbornly. Had she loved him she wouldn’t have thrusted them both into battles that left them emotionally exhausted.

If the proclamation of her love or even begging on her knees could’ve made him stay, she knew, she’d have done it in a heartbeat. But the remote, withdrawn look in his eyes told her that he’s already left. Nothing of them was left to save.

With the last of his willpower, he shoved her away from him and she sank to the floor like a ragdoll. With his retreating figure she witnessed her happiness departing!!!

Edited by __VIHU - 2 years ago

Beautiful, heartbreaking, everything that I would love to see on the show and I know our leads would kill it (and us in the process). 

Thanks so much for this. ❤️

I feel like somebody put a stone on my heart after reading this. My throat is tight. 

Beautiful piece of writing! 👏 and I always prefer the emotional ones to the romantic ones.

Like i have said in one of the thread on the forum, these two characters have so much in them to play with, so much scope for growing and I would love to see this sort of agony in them.  

I hope we get something like this to watch. 

Thanks for doing this. 

Edited by K_keechu - 2 years ago

You almost made me cry!! 

Don't do this🤧🤧🤧🤧

They deserve a happy ending❤❤❤

Though keep writing 😍

I shouldn't have read this....this is heartbreakingly painful...I wish to never see such a scene on the show...but they will obviously show it breaking my heart..i wish you write something in next part where it says it is all dream..

Raghvi deserve a happy ending with Amma, Kirti, Farhad and Harish after all the MU they have been through

This piece is really good, but it shattered the image of soon to be happy Raghvi in my mind which was created in my mind.

Can't wait for more

Heartbreaking , cant imagine the vey strong RR as a a broken man , plz let her get him back and give him the happiness he desperately needs 

Noooooooooooo😭😭 

This is heart wrenching 😭😭😭😭

Vihuliiiiii.....what have you done dear?

I am crying now.😭

Raghav's pain is unbearable and so is Pallavi's....oh how painful it is.....And You actually managed to capture every bit of it so well.😭

This is painful 😭

I want a happy ending for them!!

Beautiful, but heartbreaking....it made me cry...