•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 3 years ago

So Aastha is a very well educated woman. And she married into the Sabherwals knowing that she won't be allowed to pursue a career. It strikes me as odd because I see Aastha as a rational and sensible human being who takes no crap from others. And she's a professor. Meaning she probably has a Phd or at least the mandatory teaching degree. 

So she studied for that teaching degree, got herself some higher education and then left it all to marry Shaan?

She knew that the Sabherwals is a very backward minded and patriarchal family but she chose to give up all those years of her life, all her life's work for marriage?

It is very clearly shown that self respect is paramount to her and she don't take no crap from people where she knows she's right and knows that the other is being unjust and she just let it happen with the Sabherwals? 

She let herself be caged in that family, not having free will for at least 4 years and knowing that if shaurya grew up there, he would turn out the same? I don't understand what she expected for shaurya to turn out to be. He grew up in a toxic household surrounded with toxic people and she expects that he won't have issues?

She didn't want to take legal action for Shaurya so he doesn't have to go through that at that tender age but what did she expect by depriving him of a mother's love? She knows that Gayatri is the only person with an actual sensible mind there but she also knows Gayatri(because I think she understands that Tej and Devi and Alok are not to be trusted with this stuff) is always suppressed in that house so how could she expect that Gayatri would provide Shaurya with a stable childhood? 

How could she expect Shaurya to be a golden child after all of that?

No sensible woman I know would just sacrifice her life for marriage and then sacrifice the marriage and her son to go back to that stuff. It doesn't make any sense and that's why I find Aastha to not be a well developed character.

Before you expect Aastha to make the right decisions always, you need to consider her age when she fell in love and later married Shaan. When she met Shaan, she was Anokhi's age. Shaan might be a year or two older. At this age, boys and girls tend to make a lot of mistakes. Agreeing to the marriage conditions without thinking a tad bit was a mistake on her behalf. On both of their behalf actually. Later when she saw she has no other option than supporting her parents, she first tried to negotiate with the Saberwals and left. Not taking Shaurya along was a huge mistake of her and not participating in Sharurya's upbringing despite being there was a mistake of Shaan's. Now aastha is a middle-aged woman. She understands a lot more about life than she did 30-35 years ago. She was not as mature back then as she is right now. 

Her expectations from Shaurya took root in the typical motherly instincts. Every mother wants her child to be a good human being. When it comes to Shaurya, she thinks emotionally and not logically. So we can say that all these years she has been under wishful thinking when it comes to Shaurya rather than assuming he would be another Saberwal that by logic and reality is true.

Yes, Aastha was young around 20 but even Anokhi knows enough to not marry into a household where she won't be allowed to pursue her career. She met Shaan in college, she has been studying her whole life, she's got a degree, everybody has enough sense to not let it all go to waste for a guy.

And also I totally agree that she acts and thinks emotionally when it comes to Shaurya (ignoring all the disgusting things he said to Anokhi and not reprimanding him for it at all and refusing to even acknowledge it in front of him) but she always knew, since the minute she left that Shaan can not hold out on his own in front of Tej and Devi. And she knows that everyone in that house besides Shaan and Gayatri (she did not know Kanchan then) would work to make Shaurya like themselves. 

She should've taken Shaurya with her if she knew what was best for him. He would've gone through stuff but at least he would have a proper and right upbringing. At least he would be a better man. And he would know why his mother did what she did. 

I understand her wishful thinking that Shaurya would turn out to be decent man and not like the other Sabherwals but she also should've thought of that when she left him. I understand her being emotional about it when she left him and her decision to not take him with her was a conscious yet emotional one. But she would've thought about the repercussions a few days later and if you weigh out the pros and cons, the cons of leaving him there weigh out the pros.

So I just expected her to reflect back on her mistakes few days after she left the house and take a sensible decision while keeping in mind what was best for her son rather than abandoning him which she did no matter how much she denies it.

I thought that Aastha went back to her career to support her parents because her brother died... otherwise I know she wasn’t happy with having to give up her career but she was content. When her brother died, she asked to support her parents by getting a job but the Sabherwals refused

Originally posted by Tallulah

Yes, Aastha was young around 20 but even Anokhi knows enough to not marry into a household where she won't be allowed to pursue her career. She met Shaan in college, she has been studying her whole life, she's got a degree, everybody has enough sense to not let it all go to waste for a guy.

And also I totally agree that she acts and thinks emotionally when it comes to Shaurya (ignoring all the disgusting things he said to Anokhi and not reprimanding him for it at all and refusing to even acknowledge it in front of him) but she always knew, since the minute she left that Shaan can not hold out on his own in front of Tej and Devi. And she knows that everyone in that house besides Shaan and Gayatri (she did not know Kanchan then) would work to make Shaurya like themselves. 

She should've taken Shaurya with her if she knew what was best for him. He would've gone through stuff but at least he would have a proper and right upbringing. At least he would be a better man. And he would know why his mother did what she did. 

I understand her wishful thinking that Shaurya would turn out to be decent man and not like the other Sabherwals but she also should've thought of that when she left him. I understand her being emotional about it when she left him and her decision to not take him with her was a conscious yet emotional one. But she would've thought about the repercussions a few days later and if you weigh out the pros and cons, the cons of leaving him there weigh out the pros.

So I just expected her to reflect back on her mistakes few days after she left the house and take a sensible decision while keeping in mind what was best for her son rather than abandoning him which she did no matter how much she denies it.

When Anokhi thinks of marriage, she thinks of marrying a person like her Dad or jiju which would be terrible. Not saying Shaurya is a perfect person any girl would want to marry, but at the end she is going to fall in love with him. We don't know how Anokhi in love will be. Since she has followed her Aastha ma'am in most cases, I am assuming she would be weak in love in this case too. 

But we were talking about Aastha here. All 19 years olds don't make the same decisions for life if we were to argue on that point. Seeing Aastha now, I also can't believe she made such a decision. The only possibility I find is she became weak in the hands of love and gave up on her dreams (something I don't wish Anokhi to do)

Coming to her equation with Shaurya and rest of the Saberwals, we saw in the flashback that Tej said if Aastha left now, she could never return. Once again, this is up to our assumptions. The only reason she gave the viewers was that she didn't Shaurya to be split between her Mom and Dad's family. Even if Aastha realized her faults, she couldn't correct those because of Devi, Tej, Alok. Through some dialogues, we get hints that Aastha did know about Shaurya's whereabouts through Gayatri. Else there was no way she could know Shaurya had a high fever and was one in the hospital when he was young. From the scene at his 30th birthday party, we also know that she tried to contact him on his birthday but Devi didn't let that happen.

I agree with the that Aastha is not a well thought out character. I have seen Aastha's version in the original and there too I didn't find her motivation too convincing but despite that I love her. I have tried to defend her many a times. The Aastha that we see today does not match with the Aastha of the past who left her son with the Sabharwals. She is a fighter. She is not coward, neither is she irresponsible. Nor is she devoid of motherly emotions. So it is really difficult to explain what made her take such a decision. I do think the CVs did not think it through. Still I will try to put forth certain points which I have done earlier also.

I agree with @AnokhiShaurya that when she married Shaan, she was not mature enough and took the decision from her heart not mind. Something Anokhi is also going to do. At that age people think they can change the world. So Aastha might have thought she could change the family's orthodox views with time.

When she became a part of that family she actually accepted it as her own and she still does somewhere. The toxic nature of that family that we are aware of is because we can see them behind the surface. Their conspiracies, their insecurities. Every person has good and bad shades but to what extent they can go we are not aware. So I think Aastha was also not aware how manipulative or how insecure they could be despite being a part of that family for 5 years. She thought of them as just another orthodox family who wanted their bahus to stay at home. 

Shaan has grown up fine in that house. He is not a misogynist but could not stand up against his elders. That did not mean he would let his son being misguided by Devi. He could have cleared Shaurya's doubts if he tried. Aastha expected him to do that much, but he did not. I think she was not aware how bad Shaan's depression was.

In the only flashback scene we got, Aastha says to Devi that she would go to any extent to get back her child. But we are not shown what she did. I would like  to assume that she went to a lawyer who gave her a picture of what a court case would involve. That included dragging Shaurya through the emotional trauma of having to witness character attacks on his parents, being forced to choose between his parents and so forth. Not to mention the exorbitant fees of the lawyers. She realised that she had little chance of winning and the stakes would be high. So she thought letting Shaurya be with the Sabharwals would be the lesser of the evils. 

Plus life with her would also not be easy for Shaurya. He would have to face many taunts from the society because his mother was staying away from her father. It is always the woman who is blamed. In small town India people are very much interested in other people's business and Aastha would be subjected to merciless scrutiny of the society. When she faced such things, she may not have wanted Shaurya to go through it.

In the hospital scene, she tells Devi that had she been aware how badly Shaurya would be poisoned, she would have fought for him. That is why I think that she had not thought that the Sabharwals would be so bad. They were against her because she was a rebel. Even in normal families, the rebels are shown the door. 

Also, she was a woman who was at the end of the day an outsider. The Sabharwals strictly disciplined their bahus but they are very liberal with their daughters and more so the sons. A person's mentality is not shaped by the family only. Education, friends, teachers everyone contribute to it. So that is why Aastha expected Shaurya to not be exactly like the Sabharwals.

Whatever were her motivations we don't know. We can only guess. Her decisions definitely turned out to be wrong but I don't think she intentionally made Shaurya go through the trauma. Most people are not convinced. I can understand that. Women are always worshipped as mothers. And a woman who turned out to be a bad mother, no matter for what reason, will be judged severely. All her other good deeds are going to be overlooked. That is why I hope CVs provide some concrete reason for her leaving Shaurya behind with flashbacks. But I doubt they will. 

Aastha is a refreshing character in itv, who not only fought for herself but also motivates others to fight. She not only encourages others to dream but she also helps them to reach for it even if she had to pay a price. Career women are anyways a rarity in itv. She is a welcome departure from other TV moms who only give their wards relationship advice and are otherwise found to be helplessly crying in a corner. So it hurts that such a character is shown in a bad light.

Originally posted by Idiotboxer

not convinced. I can understand that. Women are always worshipped as mothers. And a woman who turned out to be a bad mother, no matter for what reason, will be judged severely. All her other good deeds are going to be overlooked. That is why I hope CVs provide some concrete reason for her leaving Shaurya behind with flashbacks. But I doubt they will. 

Aastha is a refreshing character in itv, who not only fought for herself but also motivates others to fight. She not only encourages others to dream but she also helps them to reach for it even if she had to pay a price. Career women are anyways a rarity in itv. She is a welcome departure from other TV moms who only give their wards relationship advice and are otherwise found to be helplessly crying in a corner. So it hurts that such a character is shown in a bad light.

Brilliantly put. 👏

I wonder why we r so harsh on aastha . She is better than any character out there bec she decided to take a stand for herself and lived by her decision.  If Shaan was strong enuf , aastha didn't have to leave shaurya also , the three of them would have moved out....The one mistake that she did , I don't think it's inexcusable, given that we r ready to overlook so much in anokhi and shaurya . 

See , parents give birth to a child but they cannot write his destiny..eventually he/she becomes their own person ,with their ideology, and personality.  Parents do influence their children's life but but at the same time they must also cut the cord at the right time to make them strong  and ready for the outside world......  Shaurya is not what he is bec aastha left him, he is what he is bec his mind was poisoned by devi and tej....aastha couldn't have foreseen the future , she.left shaurya in safe hands with his father.....she wasn't allowed to meet shaurya , devi and tej purposely kept her away otherwise a lot would be different. If anyone is to be blamed it's devi and tej. 

It's easy to say she should have taken shaurya with her. I wanna ask was it so easy given the kind of ppl devi and tej are ?if it weren't for shaurya , anokhi would be rotting away in kapurthla. We expect aastha to fight wth them alone ? How ? 

She is one character who doesn't get exited over temporary things.. she knew Shaan couldn't take a stand for her, so I don't see her appreciating the moves that he is making right now to woo her. N she has also left shaurya on his own , never interfere in his life ..yet she understands him like nobody else. She impresses me everytime she comes on screen. She read anokhi and shauryas heart , when they r also.not aware of the feelings they have for each other. She can read shaans mind..one Hell of a woman imo. Hard to find on itv

Edited by _charu_ - 3 years ago