Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: Krishnapanchali

many many innocent lives gets wasted at the altar of suicide on daily basis ssr was not the first neither will he be last victim

if you really think that by honoring him you can change this fact that is suicide then you are just being delusional 

I'm not arguing for or against suicide here, I don't know why you're putting words in my mouth. But how does acknowledging one life belittle or change the focus from those who went before, during and sadly will in future? If we go with your logic that people die everyday, there's no point honoring anyone... ever. Is Rishi Kapoor's life or Irfan Khan's life more important than others if you strip it down to just human lives lost? Of course not. People have still created awards after them and will continue to do so in future regardless. Does that take away from the value of other people's lives? No. Again, commemorating =/= glorifying! 

oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

Originally posted by: Daechwita

More pandering so that they can use his death to manipulate people.

This is the thing.

We lost Rishi Kapoor and Irfaan Khan too in 2020. Now, I am not saying RK is a messiah or something, but as an actor, he has accomplished much more than SSR, but his death didn't give them six months of drama, SSR's death did.

I respect SSR, he was kind and an amazing actor, but now, his death is being used by people for their own benefits. We could actually start conversation about mental health, encourage and support more outsiders in BW, instead, we are doing this.

It's clear manipulation. And how are we to know that if this award comes into picture, it will be given to a deserving person, just some days back, Akshay got an award for Laxmii, (Laxmii of all movies!) after tweeting in govt's support.

Originally posted by: oye_nakhrewaali

This is the thing.

We lost Rishi Kapoor and Irfaan Khan too in 2020. Now, I am not saying RK is a messiah or something, but as an actor, he has accomplished much more than SSR, but his death didn't give them six months of drama, SSR's death did.

I respect SSR, he was kind and an amazing actor, but now, his death is being used by people for their own benefits. We could actually start conversation about mental health, encourage and support more outsiders in BW, instead, we are doing this.

It's clear manipulation. And how are we to know that if this award comes into picture, it will be given to a deserving person, just some days back, Akshay got an award for Laxmii, (Laxmii of all movies!) after tweeting in govt's support.

Rishi Kapoor and Irfan Khan were much more accomplished actors compared to SSR, that's a given. In an ideal world, it would be great to assign price tags and values to people and their lives based on their body of work and prescribe what should generate people's interest and what shouldn't but that's not how life works.

Kim Kardashian and Kylie Jenner would never make waves in Hollywood with their fake butts despite doing absolutely nothing valuable in their lives if that was the case. Like it or not, mass interest matters and SSR's death interested people much more than Rishi Kapoor's or Irfan... as sad as all of them were. No one had seen it coming and it happened under very shifty circumstances.

I don't see any manipulation in wanting to remember him because firstly, I'm not an Indian, secondly, I have never watched republic channel in my life despite all the buzz around it on the forum post his death and thirdly, his death still affected me deeply the moment I heard of it. I'm a living example of someone who was affect by his death despite being far removed from local politics and with absolutely no one dictating how I should feel. Many people resonate with me there. So what manipulation?!  

What followed after was a mess and media circus but that's not what governed people's reactions.

HearMeRoar thumbnail

The report doesn't say govt is naming  a street after SSR or some such. It says an award is being given his name. Such honor is bestowed on those of extraordinary talent and place in history. The best actress award was called Urvasi Award, FGS. The best actor award was once called Bharat Award after Bharata Muni, the ancient theatrologist and author of Natya Shastra. The best coach award is still called Dronacharya Award. The best sports person award is still the Arjuna Award.

While my heart goes out to SSR's family, and I have come to understand he was a very promising young actor, he was not in the position to be compared to Urvasi or Bharata Muni or Arjuna or Dronacharya. I'm sorry, but when Irfan Khan also died in 2020, SSR is not even the best actor to pass in that particular year.

Such awards are bigger than one man. They honor an entire art form. 

If the rumor is true, then they're making a mockery of the award and exposing SSR to ridicule because almost everyone can see his contributions, at the time of his passing, were not even close to the level of matching those for whom the awards were previously named. The only reason to name the award after SSR would then be his death. It's much, much worse than KJo calling Alia the Meryl Streep of India. 

Edited by HearMeRoar - 3 years ago

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

The report doesn't say govt is naming  a street after SSR or some such. It says an award is being given his name. Such honor is bestowed on those of extraordinary talent and place in history. The best actress award was called Urvasi Award, FGS. The best actor award was once called Bharat Award after Bharata Muni, the ancient theatrologist and author of Natya Shastra. The best coach award is still called Dronacharya Award. The best sports person award is still the Arjuna Award.

While my heart goes out to SSR's family, and I have come to understand he was a very promising young actor, he was not in the position to be compared to Urvasi or Bharata Muni or Arjuna or Dronacharya. I'm sorry, but when Irfan Khan also died in 2020, SSR is not even the best actor to pass in that particular year.

Such awards are bigger than one man. They honor an entire art form. 

If the rumor is true, then they're making a mockery of the award and exposing SSR to ridicule because almost everyone can see his contributions, at the time of his passing, were not even close to the level of matching those for whom the awards were previously named. The only reason to name the award after SSR would then be his death. It's much, much worse than KJo calling Alia the Meryl Streep of India. 

I don't possess a lot of knowledge on all those awards you mentioned but the sanctity of these awards also goes hand in hand with their recipients, don't you think? For example, ignoring SRK's performance in Swades and awarding Saif for Hum Tum makes me question the level of their credibility and that's one of the national awards were are talking about. I didn't bring that up to put down the accomplishments of those artists after whom those awards were named but it does make me question their state of being so "revered" that someone like SSR can't even make the cut. 

I agree that Irfan and Rishi were superior actors. SSR's career as an actor might not have been stellar in some people's eyes but the public outcry was unparalleled and that counts for something too. If these rumors are true, I just see it as a chance to honor someone publicly and perhaps give a little bit of closure to his family and those who mourned his death and still do.

zehreeli.kheer thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7

Out of sheer curiosity, who exactly is gonna be given the award? 

Originally posted by: zehreeli.kheer

Out of sheer curiosity, who exactly is gonna be given the award? 

There are multiple ways of achieving an aim. They can call it anything if they put their heads together - "The up and coming self-made star" .... is an idea, for example, to award someone who makes a successful debut despite the barriers to entry. Or "The all-rounder of the year" also makes sense since SSR was a complete package. 

Much like it would also make sense to have "Divya Bharti newcomer of the year award" since she was an impactful newcomer of her time no matter how short her life was. There is no dearth of creativity out there. This is all assuming that the rumor mill has it right.

zehreeli.kheer thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: Mo0nLighting

There are multiple ways of achieving an aim. They can call it anything if they put their heads together - "The up and coming self-made star" .... is an idea, for example, to award someone who makes a successful debut despite the barriers to entry. Or "The all-rounder of the year" also makes sense since SSR was a complete package. 

Much like it would also make sense to have "Divya Bharti newcomer of the year award" since she was an impactful newcomer of her time no matter how short her life was. There is no dearth of creativity out there. This is all assuming that the rumor mill has it right.

Sushant wasn't an all rounder by any means.. even if we stretch the boundaries to breaking points.. and as if any award ceremony will differentiate between self-made actors and those born in filmy families. 

Divya Bharti actually had a record to her name.. she filmed many movies despite her short career

Sushant, foregoing his tragic death had a pretty much average career.. Awards should be based on contribution to the relevant field not the end of a tragic life.. yes..his death was extremely tragic.. yes, his death stirred emotions.. but none of that can change the fact that he was an average actor who still had loads to improve in every department.. naming an acting award after him is actually a mockery of all those legends who passed before him and yet didn't get the same level of honor

Deviant_Pixel thumbnail

It would make far more sense to create a fund for a cause he was passionate about rather than a lame award. 

simrata thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Krishnapanchali

many many innocent lives gets wasted at the altar of suicide on daily basis ssr was not the first neither will he be last victim

if you really think that by honoring him you can change this fact that is suicide then you are just being delusional 

As if you have his suicide note

Let CBI do their work and you should stop being DELUSIONAL