The Big Fat Indian Wedding - The Big Day(Netflix)

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 years ago

The Big Day (Netflix) captures the modern Indian wedding and the rapidly changing sensibilities of the youth who are tying the knot. It's a sensory overload, yes, but also a sociological comment on the age-old institution and its modern revamping.

I watched 2 episodes yesterday and was spellbound by the grandeur, the detailing, the spirit in which marriages are celebrated among the rich and the way the show delves into the psyche of the young couples who are going in for this life-changing event. A show in which the changing norms of society get reflected such as the independent-minded women, the shift away from demure to the bold, the manner in which they are organised - I loved it!

Though they focus only on the rich, and that is my main grouse against it, but the razor-sharp writing and direction mitigated any anxieties I had about it catering to a niche audience. Somewhere, the emotions are authentic and the show blends in with the changing ethos of contemporary times. For all those of us who believe that embracing modern values is the only way forward, the show is interesting and fun.

Overall, I would recommend it to all forum members. Something you can binge on without guilt! 

I would love your take on it as well.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T0rQ79d90w

Forgot to post the trailer link

Lord_Voldemort thumbnail
Visit Streak 1000 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail + 9
Guinea thumbnail

Saw the show .. the first 3 episodes are out . Thought it was lovely .. this isn’t abt the grandeur of Indian weddings only .. it’s a very personal journey. 

Loved the 3rd episode the most .. it has the first same sex wedding in Goa .. beautiful , the love of the couple shines and how . 

SRK_Deewani92 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

I only enjoyed the bollywood element in one of the weddings ! Overall the whole show was plain and boring.