Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Talvar showed us only one point of view?

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 years ago

Everybody knows the famous Arushi Talwar case, I'm sure. The parents either had to be the most depraved criminals or the most tragic of victims, I'm not sure which. My problem with Talvar(2015) directed by Meghna Gulzar was that it focused only on one aspect - the parents were the most tragic victims. I know it's not easy to believe parents can kill their own child but there have been cases like that, and here the circumstances were heavily weighted against them. How come they didn't hear anything throughout the night? The only other key to Aarushi's room was with her parents, what about that?

The movie played to the popular sentiment that the servants killed Aarushi, and yes, this is definitely more digestible, but need not be the assumed truth.

Has anyone watched the movie and your thoughts on it? Do you see it as only one side of the story where the parents are given a clean chit, regardless of the evidence actually being strongly against them? 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Stella_001 thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

I have watched the movie and I absolutely agree , they victimised them parents and didn’t see the another side of the story and as you pointed out so many things about talwar’s story doesn’t add up 

mintyblue thumbnail

Also, the movie is well-crafted and does show the botched up job done by the police and CBI officials, which is worth noting.

But it heavily leans towards the view that the parents are innocent. That's the problem I have with the movie.

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

I agree. When I watched the movie, I was taken aback by the fact that it chose one side. The film didn't leave a lot of room for interpretation. 

But then having a slant isn't out of the norm or abnormal. Even documentaries that are meant to be fact-based have slants.  A film ultimately is an entertainment medium. Even movies based on true events should be taken with a grain of salt. 

If I remember correctly, suspecting the parents was not an unpopular opinion. It was shocking and hard to digest but the investigators, news media, and many people were convinced that it was an honor killing by the parents. Considering how common honor killings are in India, it isn't that out of the ordinary. It was not until 2017 that the parents were acquitted and many continue to be convinced of their guilt. 

When an investigation is botched up like this - it is very common for movies and documentaries to take a contrarian approach to the investigation. The Amanda Knox case is a good example. The Italian investigation was so botched up, sexist, and biased that the more people learned about the process - the more they got convinced of Amanda's innocence. 

Just_Say_Cheese thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 6 Thumbnail + 5

I don't know about this case at all 

but just searched and so scary (real life incident? god!)

this detailed quora assumption just made me more scared, I was imagining everything while reading so.

https://qr.ae/pNqCFG

sidnilove thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

I haven't watched the film but I had to comment because this case was so sensational at that time.

I was really young but I read everything about it and had to know all the details. There were so many theories floating around and it really made the whole country turn into detectives.

OT, if the film showed only one side, could it be because popular opinion at that time was that the parents had done it so maybe the film's objective was to highlight the other POV.

Just a guess.

floydd thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

I remember reading somewhere that this movie was attempt to white wash parent's image. Someone involved in this movie making was closely related/family friend of talwars. 

To TM, absolutely agree with u, this movie presented just one angle rather forced viewers to believe that police framed Talwars to hide their incompetence and (hilariously) all servants were cunning enough to go scot free even after committing murders

I remember extensively reading about this case and my conclusion was it was not planned murder & neither an honor killing as most believed it to be; it was rather an unfortunate accident that must have occurred in a fit of anger when parents caught their daughter red handed.

We will never know the truth sadly.

mintyblue thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: floydd

I remember reading somewhere that this movie was attempt to white wash parent's image. Someone involved in this movie making was closely related/family friend of talwars. 

To TM, absolutely agree with u, this movie presented just one angle rather forced viewers to believe that police framed Talwars to hide their incompetence and (hilariously) all servants were cunning enough to go scot free even after committing murders

I remember extensively reading about this case and my conclusion was it was not planned murder & neither an honor killing as most believed it to be; it was rather an unfortunate accident that must have occurred in a fit of anger when parents caught their daughter red handed.

We will never know the truth sadly.

Exactly! In our country, the judicial system is heavily skewed in favor of the privileged. In this scenario, servants are most likely to be the first suspects. If the servants had actually committed the murder, there was no chance in hell they would have got away scot-free.

The police initially botched up the evidence and made a mess of the investigations. If they had conducted investigations diligently and discovered the body of Hemraj along with Aarushi on the very same day, this case would have had a better outcome.

It is really disgusting that the criminal(s), whoever they are, got away with the double murders.

Maroonporsche thumbnail
sanityinfinite thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

I haven't watched the film, so I am not sure about the narrative there. But there are a lot of juicy details to this case and nobody knows how true the different narratives are. That being said, I live in the same locality as Aarushi did (Noida). Her's was a different sector, mine is a different one. Many locals here and a tutor of mine (a local too), said the Talwars were behind this. A professor of mine, from the University of Delhi who would at times appear in debate panel discussions on tv as well, said the same.

Edited by sanityinfinite - 3 years ago