Is editing the most ignored process of filmmaking?

PangaNaLe thumbnail
Own Your Stories Participant 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 3 years ago

We all know that almost every time, success and failure of a movie is credited to it's actors.

If it's a content driven film, people still praise the actors the most for choosing great scripts and doing great acting (even if they don't do it).

Sometimes this also extends to the directors if he or she is continuous in making good films. But a good film is not all about a director either. There's a whole team working behind the screen to make a good product. Director is like the captain of that team, but a captain alone can't make the team win a match.

Then there are writers who are only mentioned when we have to pity them for getting paid peanuts for their job.

And that's it, other aspects of filmmaking, which we praise, we don't give credit to the person, because we don't care about knowing that person.

One such aspect of filmmaking is editing, which can either make or break a film. Bad editing ruins a movie, no matter which genre it is....or if it's mainstream or parallel cinema.

Even if it's a star-driven movie, where audience just wants to see the hero's face all the time....good editing is important to maintain a flow in the movie. If editing is not good, audience would get bored or tired easily.

It's important for the success of every film, even where a good script is not needed, like the Bhai movies.

It's like the backbone of a movie.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Not just in filmmaking, even in the publishing industry where I work editors are taken for granted. I've had production people actually ask me "Do you really do anything?" and that's the mindset, unfortunately.

Editing is an underrated activity everywhere, even though it's the backbone of several industries. It's because most people don't understand what actual editing is. They feel it's just cleaning up or a decorative profession, but it's so much more. In publishing and I'm sure even in filmmaking, it's making leaps in judgement because you need to be in sync not only with the creator, but foreshadow what the audience wants.

I agree with you, editing is the most ignored process of filmmaking. Editing can make or break a film, but most people focus on the actor, the director and not the editor. I've heard comments like "This was such a badly-edited film" but when it's actually a good piece of work, no-one credits the editor. They work in the shadows, so to speak.

It can be frustrating - this lack of recognition of what an editor's job entails.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Most aren’t good.

Can’t tell you how many useless scenes there are in even my favorite films. 

What do these people do 😆😆

The editor of 7 hour long Jab Tak Hai Jaan wins best editor at filmfare 🤣

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Arrey, first there has to be decent writing before there can be editing. Let the filmmakers actually have a decent script and then pay attention to what comes after.

bips thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8

Anyone remembers aap mujhe achche lagne lage where the editor forgot to add the scene where amisha is supposed to be asthmatic. And the audience is left wondering why is she gasping like a dying goldfish in every scene 

And ofcourse Jthj - the most famous example of the worst editing job ever

Editors are in my opinion more important than even directors and writers. A hack job with editing will ruin a movie that no one can save. 

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: bips

Anyone remembers aap mujhe achche lagne lage where the editor forgot to add the scene where amisha is supposed to be asthmatic. And the audience is left wondering why is she gasping like a dying goldfish in every scene 

Editors are in my opinion more important than even directors and writers. A hack job with editing will ruin a movie that no one can save. 

You're saying bad editing can ruin good writing and good everything else.

Problem is good editing  can't save bad writing. Period. You need to have SOMETHING to edit. 

Edited by HearMeRoar - 3 years ago
Talis thumbnail
Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: bips

That's the Director's fault.  The Director should be supervising the editing of the first cut and they can make any changes they want to the Editor's assembly which then becomes the Director's cut.  (Unless the producer or star later interferes).

Jaitreya23 thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Firstly there has to be a story which is novel, interesting story and not focused on love or money. All BW caters to is love and money. For them this is the world

Edited by Jaitreya23 - 3 years ago
Rekha_ji thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

The thing about editing is: it's one aspect of filmmaking which we don't really get to see enough to really judge it well.

An editor will have all the several camera angles of a scene, all the different takes, and then cut and paste them together. So... we don't know what they were working with. Is it a badly edited scene because the raw material was not great...? It's hard to tell.

And then of course on the flip side, we might see a scene which looks really well edited, but maybe it was just the director and the cinematography that were amazing, and the editor didn't even have to do much.

For me, I like to look at an editor's own filmography: that's the only way for me to see their talent and skill and their style.