Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Autumn_Rose thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: Thatgirl16

Tell me about it..... I've been refused a job that I was supposed to be signing because of a newbie niece of an established designer who steals from VogueπŸ˜†

πŸ€—

PangaNaLe thumbnail
Own Your Stories Participant 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Mo0nLighting

Tell me about it. Some of the same people chanting, "It's everywhere" had massive issues when private channels (emphasis on private) were dishing out news/articles and media bytes per viewership and audience demand during the mayhem that followed SSR's death. "Ethics" and "ethical reporting" suddenly came flying back into focus then. Gee, I wonder why.😲

Even I pointed out that hypocrisy alot of times.

It's only Bollywood's right to do everything because it's private.πŸ˜†

2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

Nepotism has always existed in BW . Difference is that today starkids are shoved onto our faces despite their failures  and shortcomings while earlier they used to go back to obscurity

Autumn_Rose thumbnail

Originally posted by: Harley_Quinn

Ofcourse it's not ok. How many people watch content oriented movies that aren't mainstream.

How is this related to nepotism? People watch movies with star kids due to the hype around them. Like everyone wanted to know Saif's daughter. Many movies with good content flop or don't get the hype they deserve.

The Indian film industry is not restricted to Bollywood alone. Is the general public not guilty of watching ridiculous movies like SOTY? Why give it the hype it needs?

There is always an audience for every film. Even the Flop once. If you look at the box office figures of SOTY, then it wasn't even a clean Hit in the first place. It's Karan Johar who hyped this film through paid media and PR.  Ok... agree with you. 

My question is, is it merely cultural? How many people blame nepotism and then get their relatives a job..?

We blame sexism, racism and casteism, but end up being all that one way or the other in our day-to-day lives. Exactly, how do we expect things to change overnight. Hating on social media may hardly make any difference when people still don't practice what they preach. I have seen many hate on Alia, Ananya etc but its not like they don't consume their content or don't practice favouritism or nepotism in real life. They all do. 

Nepotism is just like that. I don't think people really blame nepotism. Most of the times people know that it's how the world works. Sometimes when they loose a job because of it, they might blame in frustration. But that's about it. Good point, which makes me think that people just do to vent out their frustration looking at the already rich getting richer while we slog everyday in our lives. But any cultural practice that is so deep rooted may take years to change or may never change at all. But these days, people have more resources to get their talent known - there are reality shows, and then there is YouTube and social media too.

Bollywood gets discussed in detail, not just in case of nepotism but every other issue, because people like to gossip about it. 

Edited by Autumn_Rose - 3 years ago

Originally posted by: 2RsFan

Nepotism has always existed in BW . Difference is that today starkids are shoved onto our faces despite their failures  and shortcomings while earlier they used to go back to obscurity

That's one of the reasons why the nepo kids today are SO damn irritating. Their success is not organic at all and everything looks forced. Without so much as giving people time to form a proper opinion about their work, they become the talk of the town and are on their way to becoming the "next queen" of Bollywood. Yeah, right! Annoying to the point where you end up wondering why their parents didn't use protection. I'll admit that sounded better in my head. πŸ˜†

PangaNaLe thumbnail

I think both pro-nepotism and anti-nepotism people try too hard to impose their beliefs on the other side.

Nepotism is unfair, and we can't do anything about it. Parents would always favour their kids. Outsiders too would one day launch their kids if they have the resources.

Whether we should call it right or wrong is where it becomes complicated. Something is good for one person doesn't mean it's good for everyone.

Expecting outsiders to be understanding when they struggle so much to make a career is too much to ask. Obviously they would get frustrated if their chances are taken away. That's also human nature just like parents thinking for their kids.

Having said that, the anti-nepotism brigade should stop discrediting everything from star-kids. Even if you don't like them, they didn't get success just because of nepotism.

The same way, pro-nepotism group should stop justifying everything related to it. Nepotism itself might not be wrong, but audience has full right to complain if talentless star-kids are getting launched.

But I suppose it's never about nepotism, it's about toxic fan culture and people having agendas. They blame and defend based on whom they hate and like, so this debate would never end with peace.

Anyway, sorry for this "useless" lecture.

Autumn_Rose thumbnail

Originally posted by: Harley_Quinn

I think both pro-nepotism and anti-nepotism people try too hard to impose their beliefs on the other side.

Nepotism is unfair, and we can't do anything about it. Parents would always favour their kids. Outsiders too would one day launch their kids if they have the resources.

Whether we should call it right or wrong is where it becomes complicated. Something is good for one person doesn't mean it's good for everyone.

Expecting outsiders to be understanding when they struggle so much to make a career is too much to ask. Obviously they would get frustrated if their chances are taken away. That's also human nature just like parents thinking for their kids.

Having said that, the anti-nepotism brigade should stop discrediting everything from star-kids. Even if you don't like them, they didn't get success just because of nepotism.

The same way, pro-nepotism group should stop justifying everything related to it. Nepotism itself might not be wrong, but audience has full right to complain if talentless star-kids are getting launched.

But I suppose it's never about nepotism, it's about toxic fan culture and people having agendas. They blame and defend based on whom they hate and like, so this debate would never end with peace.

Anyway, sorry for this "useless" lecture.

You know, I was really rooting for Kangana when she told KJo off in his own show. She seemed so much saner in the beginning, plus the AIB song she did was dope.

But then, it all turned out to be so toxic & she so narcissistic that the actual issues became all muffled up. Along with her hypocrisy when she employed her own siblings - why not just take fresh faces with actual talent and make movies? She could have been an excellent example. But Alas! All hopes dashed. 

Autumn_Rose thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ashley.Tisdale

No right, so stfu and admit that you have it easier.

I think Arjun Kapoor is the only one I have seen who has actually acknowledged it (In that Netflix Bolly wives show)

The elitist attitude that the nepo gang has is so damn off putting.

The statement reminds me of how bitchy Sonam was when she said, "Sushant, who?. She is an elitist scumbag for sure.

I have noticed Arjun Kapoor & Emraan Hasmi seem pretty grounded.

PangaNaLe thumbnail

People watch movies with star kids due to the hype around them. Like everyone wanted to know Saif's daughter. Many movies with good content flop or don't get the hype they deserve.

Content-oriented and mainstream films is another topic. Star-kids don't always do mainstream films and outsiders don't always do content films.

You really think audience was interested in seeing Saif's daughter?

Saif himself isn't a bigshot and never was one. Okay, he still was a bankable star.

What about Varun and Alia who are  not even kids of actors? Who was really interested in seeing kids of directors David Dhawan and Mahesh Bhatt?

It's paid media and PR who hyped them because they belonged to filmy families. Their initial hype wasn't organic.

Exactly, how do we expect things to change overnight. Hating on social media may hardly make any difference when people still don't practice what they preach. I have seen many hate on Alia, Ananya etc but its not like they don't consume their content or don't practice favouritism or nepotism in real life. They all do.

I think it's nepotism defenders who should stop expecting things to change overnight. They always chant that "nothing will change...it was always like this....it would always be like this."

Whenever a star-kids film does well, they brag saying "see? Nothing changed even after all this outrage".

Change never happens overnight. Bad things happened even before you were born, and would be there even after you are dead. But that doesn't mean we should stop fighting for everything, because then nothing would ever change.

Although I agree with you. People do just show outrage on social media. In day-to-day lives, it's much more tough to practice what we preach.

Again that doesn't mean we should stop trying to be a better person. I try my best to at least bring a change in myself and that's what we all can only do.

In case of nepotism, even if people started practicing what they are preaching and stopped watching films of star-kids, it still won't make much difference because crowd on social media is just 0.0001% of the actual audience.

Good point, which makes me think that people just do to vent out their frustration looking at the already rich getting richer while we slog everyday in our lives. But any cultural practice that is so deep rooted may take years to change or may never change at all. But these days, people have more resources to get their talent known - there are reality shows, and then there is YouTube and social media too.

Nothing to add or defend. I completely agree with you here.

Autumn_Rose thumbnail

Originally posted by: Mo0nLighting

That's one of the reasons why the nepo kids today are SO damn irritating. Their success is not organic at all and everything looks forced. Without so much as giving people time to form a proper opinion about their work, they become the talk of the town and are on their way to becoming the "next queen" of Bollywood. Yeah, right! Annoying to the point where you end up wondering why their parents didn't use protection. I'll admit that sounded better in my head. πŸ˜†

Kajol, Rani were star kids too, but I didn't feel the same way for them.

The recent faces like Ananya, Alia & Sonam get on my nerves for some reason. So plain, nothing striking about their face or personality..