Posted: 3 years ago

There has been a lot of debate on Nepotism in bollywood. But is it just Bollywood or the practice of inheriting occupation is deeply cultural in our country. India has been a caste based society for centuries which severely restricted what occupation one can take. Even today, not a lot has changed. Sure, people have become more educated which was restricted to the elite only in earlier days, but the pattern continues - parents impose their dreams on their children or want them to take the same profession they are in. 

Another thing I have noticed is the practice of networking to get benefits - especially relatives. There are always  family friend or kid of a relative that you cannot refuse. 

The pattern continues and will continue. 

and the some non-talented nepo kids will be thrust on us, the audience 

Originally posted by Maroonporsche

The pattern continues and will continue. 

Exactly!

And some of the (in)famous whiners also need to suck it up and stop complaining and move the hell on! Heck even a colicky baby gives up after a while https://i.ibb.co/3SFvdZd/jpshakehead.gif

Edited by Koviljika34 - 3 years ago

Originally posted by memad

and the some non-talented nepo kids will be thrust on us, the audience 

Thats true.. ironically, even the flag bearer of Anti-nepotism, Kangana employed her siblings. 😆

How many of us have had tolerate someone who does thing in office all day but is somehow either related or 'making relations' with a senior. 😆

I think one thing people forget in their analysis is the origins and history of film mediums as well. In its early days, filmmaking was not a legitimate history. It was not easy to procure investments to make a movie. That is why film productions were either family affairs or funded by illicit people/groups. There was certain disrepute associated with being in the industry due to its illicit affiliations. So for years, filmmaking was confined to only certain circles.

Over time it grew popular. Taboos broke down and funding came in from legitimate sources, but the sense of loyalty to those who had been there from the beginning prevailed and will continue to do so for a while. 

In India, insider loyalty and nepotism are much more prevalent because it took much longer for filmmaking to be legitimized in India. Bollywood was not given an industry status until 2001. Its taken a long time to untangle out of the past and be wholly legitimate. I think it will take another couple of decades for insider loyalty to fade. 

Originally posted by return_to_hades

I think one thing people forget in their analysis is the origins and history of film mediums as well. In its early days, filmmaking was not a legitimate history. It was not easy to procure investments to make a movie. That is why film productions were either family affairs or funded by illicit people/groups. There was certain disrepute associated with being in the industry due to its illicit affiliations. So for years, filmmaking was confined to only certain circles.

Over time it grew popular. Taboos broke down and funding came in from legitimate sources, but the sense of loyalty to those who had been there from the beginning prevailed and will continue to do so for a while. 

In India, insider loyalty and nepotism are much more prevalent because it took much longer for filmmaking to be legitimized in India. Bollywood was not given an industry status until 2001. Its taken a long time to untangle out of the past and be wholly legitimate. I think it will take another couple of decades for insider loyalty to fade. 

A very interesting and good observation.

Also, we Indians have to thrive on jugad and connections in life, else it's not easy to survive.

Okay I tried to control my anger but lost it midway, apologies for the harsh language 😆

Its not just nepotism. Favouritism, groupism, camps, nexus and unfair opportunities are the bigger problem.

An outsider newcomer's film would not get screens in theatres because a bigger banner would buy all screen times for their films...and they could star a newcomer insider. Isn't that unfair?

Also, talent does not depend solely on genetics and your last name. Yes we have had some great actors from the Kapoor clan after Prithviraj Kapoor. But does that mean that outsiders won't get work only because they do not bear a popular surname?

Also them being obsessed with their 'struggles'. Like b**ch please. did you ever stand in audition lines for hours only to get rejected without even auditioning? Did u go from casting agent to casting agent, not knowing whether casting couch would be a problem or no? Are you working various part time jobs (to support yourself whilst auditioning), which may not even pay well because you couldn't lose years of your youth as acting is a looks-based industry? Have you stayed away from your homes for years altogether not knowing whether you would make it? No right, so stfu and admit that you have it easier.

The elitist attitude that the nepo gang has is so damn off putting. Today they are all over Vicky Kaushal, Ayushman Khurana, Rajkumar Rao. But few years ago they wouldn't have given a rat's ass. Ayushman himself had narrated the incident when he asked KJo for work and got an office number...when he called the secretary first denied KJo being around and later said they only signed 'established names'. Who tf decides established names?! Being a Khan or Kapoor or Pandey with zero work experience means that you're established? Or is it the money your parents invest in your films and makhan maaro the producers? Mr Johar, you got your opportunity and platform because of your father. Can you imagine running from director to director so that someone would pick up your script? I think not. 

They also get access to the best PR reps, fitness classes, dance classes, dermatologists and plastic surgeons to make you picture perfect. You buy "beauty" and set unrealistic standards. But plastic surgery does not equal to beauty. Lakhs of rupees are invested in you, whether you have the skills or no. So stop pretending you have no privilege and have earned everything you got. Coz frankly, if it weren't for your parents' connections and you were trying to get into the field as outsiders, no one would even turn and look at half of you'll.

And stop trying to get into an industry because the glitz and glam looks good. Coz if you don't deserve it then the audience is brutal. And you don't have the guts (insert the more crass word here) to face it. Go study, find something suitable and if you have talent then work on it. You've taken the audience for a ride for the last 20+ years. Now if its payback, you can't run away.

It's a simple concept that a lot of people on this forum can't seem to wrap their heads around. I'll try to sum up my thoughts in one long sentence.

Nepotism often accompanied with lobbying, solidarity, favoritism, and unethical and underhanded dealings come together to create an extremely challenging and toxic atmosphere in Bollywood for people who are trying to make a career in movies on their own without the net afforded nepo kids by their family, colleagues and friends.