Barun Sobti : OTT space should explore genres beyond toxic content.

Posted: 3 years ago

Nothing on OTT is more toxic than the content shown on regular TV. 

Edited by HearMeRoar - 3 years ago

I actually agree with him.

OTT makers have assumed that sex, violence etc etc == quality.

I am all in for realistic films, but today even 7-8 years old kids have access to series like Mirzapur, Paatak Lok etc etc and I am not sure what these shows are doing to their impressionable minds.😕

I doubt even adults from rural or semi-urban areas in India care about the "performances", "acting" or "cinematography." 

They care about paisa-vasooli and entertainment, which is okay but I personally that they might watch these shows just for thrills, seeing this 'celebrities' portraying their rural or small-town stories, combined with sex & violence. 

I am not saying people in rural India or dumb or do not have a mind of their own.  But I doubt they care about the underlying good messages in these shows, which are sometimes so encrypted that even socially aware people end up saying,"WTF was that"?

Entertainment industry is the smartest industry in understanding the market. They know that smartphones and internet have reached every corner of smalltowns/rural India, so they're more and more catering to that audience now.

As long as it is done in a smart, entertaining way, then its fine.

Toilet: Ek Prem Katha, Bala etc etc are good examples .

I am all in for dark, realistic stories too. Mom was a very 'dark' film in that sense. smiley32

But I actually had no problem in showing that to children in my family. It wasn't made to "cater" to any audience, and without any graphical violence they conveyed the horrors of rape/gangrape.

Fine. Do not make everything with kids in mind, but at least have some responsibility in portraying what you portray onscreen.

Originally posted by HearMeRoar

Nothing on OTT is more toxic than the content shown on regular TV. 

Yep, which is why he isn't in favour of doing daily soaps anymore 💁‍♀️ Any kind of stereotypical, regressive content gets broadcast and extended if it get TRPs. Those mainstream channels like Star Plus and Zee TV care about popularity and money more than anything else. That said, OTT content has pretty intimidating content as well, especially for underage kids.

Edited by DushtKanya - 3 years ago

Originally posted by diasingh2

Fine. Do not make everything with kids in mind, but at least have some responsibility in portraying what you portray onscreen.

Children are their parents' responsibility, not the platform's. It's up to Papa and Mama to control what kids watch on screen. 

I kind of agree OTTs should be promoting diverse content. My peeve is only with him calling it toxic. Who decides what content is toxic? What is toxic? Something like an Ekta soap which promotes borderline rape as romance? Or an OTT show which portrays it as the violence it is?

I agree about children watching, but that is up their families. Sentient adults cn easily refuse to watch. 

Edited by HearMeRoar - 3 years ago

Originally posted by diasingh2

I actually agree with him.

OTT makers have assumed that sex, violence etc etc == quality.

I am all in for realistic films, but today even 7-8 years old kids have access to series like Mirzapur, Paatak Lok etc etc and I am not sure what these shows are doing to their impressionable minds.😕

I doubt even adults from rural or semi-urban areas in India care about the "performances", "acting" or "cinematography." 

They care about paisa-vasooli and entertainment, which is okay but I personally that they might watch these shows just for thrills, seeing this 'celebrities' portraying their rural or small-town stories, combined with sex & violence. 

I am not saying people in rural India or dumb or do not have a mind of their own.  But I doubt they care about the underlying good messages in these shows, which are sometimes so encrypted that even socially aware people end up saying,"WTF was that"?

Entertainment industry is the smartest industry in understanding the market. They know that smartphones and internet have reached every corner of smalltowns/rural India, so they're more and more catering to that audience now.

As long as it is done in a smart, entertaining way, then its fine.

Toilet: Ek Prem Katha, Bala etc etc are good examples .

I am all in for dark, realistic stories too. Mom was a very 'dark' film in that sense. smiley32

But I actually had no problem in showing that to children in my family. It wasn't made to "cater" to any audience, and without any graphical violence they conveyed the horrors of rape/gangrape.

The person who is giving access of 18+ shows to 7-8 years kid is responsible IMO. 😂  Not web series. 

I agree with him. Once the Crime / Thriller / Violence becomes a hit in OTT, a lot of content has been made in the same direction. I am not saying you should not make them because it is toxic for kids. But if this trend continues the tradition of each project trying to up the thrill/gore of the previous ones, we will end up with really gruesome stuff. Nobody has really explored Comedy / Historical drama very successfully in OTT yet. I think That has a lot of potential. Barun did 3 projects this year with regard to Crime / Thriller genre. I hope to see him offered different stuff next year. 

TV has regressive content, but it doesn't show the same stuff as OTT. Most OTT shows have good writing and acting backing them. There is a lot of scope for family / cultural aspects that can be portrayed in a real manner in OTT because TV audience is still married to the traditional EK style content that is not going to change anytime soon

Edited by BarunPrabhasFan - 3 years ago

Originally posted by BarunPrabhasFan

I agree with him. Once the Crime / Thriller / Violence becomes a hit in OTT, a lot of content has been made in the same direction. I am not saying you should not make them because it is toxic for kids. But if this trend continues the tradition of each project trying to up the thrill/gore of the previous ones, we will end up with really gruesome stuff. Nobody has really explored Comedy / Historical drama very successfully in OTT yet. I think That has a lot of potential. Barun did 3 projects this year with regard to Crime / Thriller genre. I hope to see him offered different stuff next year. 

TV has regressive content, but it doesn't show the same stuff as OTT. Most OTT shows have good writing and acting backing them. There is a lot of scope for family / cultural aspects that can be portrayed in a real manner in OTT because TV audience is still married to the traditional EK style content that is not going to change anytime soon

I agree as well. My problem is only with the word toxic.

In India esp, there is a tendency to follow the trend. OTTs are actually well-positioned to break it. I wish they would. Totally would love to see a detective series like Karamchand or comedy like Yes, Minister.

This is absolutely not true. The gritty and dark series become popular due to critical acclaim. But all OTT platforms have created lighter, universal, and family-friendly material. 

Amazon Prime's Panchayat reminded me of Malgudi days. And although I haven't seen Pushpavalli, it has lighter tones too. Similarly on Netflix although not hugely acclaimed Little Things, Masaba Masaba, and When Dimple met Rishi are lighter feel-good fare. 

In English, OTT platforms have played a huge role in reviving the teenage rom-com and feel-good genre. Netflix has a plethora of teen flicks that are mostly PG. 

Comedy is one of the most difficult forms of entertainment. You usually don't get a lot of attention with slice of life stuff. It is relatively easier to deliver a gut punch and make people cry. That is why most well-received shows are drama. But if you are willing to venture out of the most hyped content - OTT has a ton of feel-good stuff too.