Is screaming necessary for alaaps?

suresh555 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 3 years ago

Old time singers like lata, asha, manna dey, rafi etc have sung classical music oriented songs with perfection. Some examples like baiju bawra, mughal e azam and lots of manna dey songs Like the one anjali sang, laga chunri mein daag.

Please listen to the alaap done by manna dey and the alaap done by anjali and you will see the difference. Anjali's was scream galore. Sunny and Salman did exactly the same and won the competition. Sawai does it too but is more restrained. 

I am surprised that the judges go gaga over these screaming performances. Have they not heard the real alaaps done in past? Can they not hear the screaming?

Just wondering 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Ashley.Tisdale thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7

It psychology, when you see or hear something you can't do, it automatically becomes a benchmark and you consider the person doing it a star.

The judges cannot hit those high notes or sing all the classical 'jagahs'. So when they hear someone do it they go gaga. Irrespective of whether the person is singing it correctly or no.

Sawai has got a much 'sweeter' voice compared to Salman (most harsh) and Sunny. In fact I can hear him for a longer duration coz his doesn't come across as screaming or discomfort.

Anjali and the rest struggle coz firstly, those notes are out of their range and they are only singing those coz it will impress the judges.

But yes, they've made Qawalli singing the benchmark and the ones who can sing so are the winners. Thats why in prev seasons all rounder singers like Ankush and Vibhor (10) and Adriz and Ridham (11) were robbed of their deserved title. The ones I named are all rounder singers...they have it in them to become mainstream voices.

Also personally I feel there is no sense of comparing the classical contestants to legends like Manna Da and Lataji and Ashaji. They are/were all blessed souls.

Edited by Ashley.Tisdale - 3 years ago
MochaQueen thumbnail

this is the most annoying thing🤢 even salman ali and sunny hindustani became so repetitive with all their songs, and these types of singers always win

anoushka_113 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Screeching has  now become synonymous with hitting high notes, according to the judges. Salman screeched and screamed & the more he did that, Annu Malik upped his naatak. 

Firstly, they should change the judges. I seriously doubt neha kakkar’s credentials to judge a performance by anjali!  Neha has become a constant fixture, it is a pain to see her expressions & hear her vacuous comments! And reg HR, the less said the better.  

Coming to the subject, Anjali couldn’t carry the song. She would’ve done well without resorting to voice gymnastics.  Overall it fell flat. 

Talking of screeching; apart from alaaps, what about shanmukhapriya? She is another screech queen who is egged on by the judges. 
She butchered the classic ‘inteha ho gayi’ 

suresh555 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Yes, neha and hr are over dramatics and honestly not even  that great singers. Vishal I really like and miss the pairing he had with shreya and shekhar in one of the previous seasons of idol. 

Anjali had the capability for singing laga chunari but messed up due to unwanted irritable alaap

Shanmukh will not change with her oodles filled singing whether it goes with the song or not. She has done this on all her other reality shows in each performance. I think she has comparatively gotten a little restrained this time as you would have hated her in her other reality shows. I think i can tolerate her this season more than other screamers we have. 

Ms.SK thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

To the judges, yes screaming is necessary.  The more you scream and screech, you are better singer.  

About time these judges tell contestants to sing ghazals without yodelling or screaming.  Then find out the "real" singers. 

desi-chai thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ms.S.K.

To the judges, yes screaming is necessary.  The more you scream and screech, you are better singer.  

About time these judges tell contestants to sing ghazals without yodelling or screaming.  Then find out the "real" singers. 

views may differ, but I left watching prev season only coz my eardrums tend to burst when sunny screamed. was such a pain to "hear". on whatever grounds he was declared a winner, i still feel there were more better ones there. Even i liked that guy with eyesight issue during Salman Ali's season, think he came as runner up. He was far more softer and was soothing to hear him.....

desi-chai thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ms.S.K.

this time they have certain obsession about Shanmukhpriya....frankly she has now become monotonous. And the sob story that she could not afford a watch n the fact that she does not wear one on the show is a bit unsettling !!! They do get paid for their participation in each episode. Plus i guess she has done some shows. ek watch toh khareed hi sakti hai...

the other guy pawandeep rajan also has pics from abroad all hep, but on show he calls n shows himself as pahadi. too much drama, judges will only praise what brings them TRP's...alaap gaya tel lene