Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Masand's column on Open Magazine comes to an end.

Justice4Samosa thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

This is the same column where he used to write his blinds.

Thank You, Dear Reader

It feels like only yesterday that I was commissioned to write this column, the idea being to share the crazy stories from the Bollywood trenches, the idiosyncrasies of movie stars, the behind-the-scenes deal-making, the casting ins and outs and just about everything that was ‘normal’ in showbiz but was pretty much unheard of in the real world. As it turns out, it’s been a little over 10 years I’ve been writing this column and now it’s time to say goodbye and thank you.

It was a joy (and sometimes horror) discovering how this business works, how the wheels turn, and in learning that there is in fact a method to the madness. Over hours and hours of conversations with filmmakers, actors, writers, agents, managers and just about everyone who works on a movie set, one came closer to bringing you the stories from behind the scenes of the dream factory.
Only in this business will the creative team at a studio forget to wipe down a white board that lists a director under the ‘cons’ side of a ‘pros and cons’ list for a film they were in negotiations to bankroll before a meeting with the very director and his team—who were naturally horrified to discover what the studio thought of him.

The objective was always and only to bring you, the reader, just a little bit closer to all the drama and the passion that goes into the making of movies. What I learnt in these years reporting this column—that this is a business driven by men and women who work incredibly hard to put their own (or others’) dreams on the screen. Many of them are handsomely paid, others not so much, and yet what binds them is their love for the pictures, telling what they hope will be a compelling story, and the satisfaction of standing at the back of a cinema hall and watching the room erupt in laughter, or break into tears at all the right moments. It takes a special kind of madness to do that job over and over again; this column was an effort to capture that madness.

Thank you for taking this ride with me.

https://openthemagazine.com/cinema/madhuri-dixit-now-streaming/

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Justice4Samosa thumbnail

This though 🤣😲

Only in this business will the creative team at a studio forget to wipe down a white board that lists a director under the ‘cons’ side of a ‘pros and cons’ list for a film they were in negotiations to bankroll before a meeting with the very director and his team—who were naturally horrified to discover what the studio thought of him.

Edited by MommaDarling - 3 years ago
Maroonporsche thumbnail

Thats a shame. Print magazine has been dead for years 😆

GumGum thumbnail

Khana khake jaana, hae?