Bhagvad gita - Page 2

Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by Chill_Maar

You seem very interested why dont you read it?๐Ÿ˜† Gita is profound philosophy ( it is the summary of all the Upanishads) so if you are expecting it to be like some novel with straightforward answers to your problems, it is definitely not how it is. 

๐Ÿ˜† I realise that. 

Originally posted by Ajeeb-ladki

So, the main core is detachment from materialistic things? And we can't do that. Is there something else too?

Should I read it?

I advise you to read it. Your interpretation might be different. 

Bhagvad Gita was recited on a battlefield, just before two armies were about to clash. A great warrior was displaying reluctance in performing his duty because he was overcome with emotions and deep attachment. Attachments and the anxiety associated with the outcome often scares us. Gita implies that the action and the journey > destination. Detachment from the result is vital.

The core philosophy, in my opinion, advises one to find out oneโ€™s goal and act upon it. The duties can't be abandoned out of oneโ€™s likes/dislikes, attachments, or joys and sorrows. In order to achieve this you must know your own self.

It's better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection.

Edited by Wistfulness - 3 years ago

I would suggest you to read the Mahabharat first (which btw is an excellent book/story/guiding light for life no matter how religious/non religious you are, as a reader you are sure to enjoy it with its interesting bunch of characters, their back stories and twists and turns) or at least see the TV version of it- B. R. Chopra's Mahabharat is the best one and still can be found online. Bhagavad Gita comes up at one of the most climactic points of the Mahabharat, hence it is understood better and becomes more interesting when you can connect it with the background and events in the story, and also with examples of your own life. Conversely, it also helps you understand the Mahabharat better, as it has a lot of debatable points. Both the books are amazing, and yes they have affected me positively. :) 

Edited by nikitagmc - 3 years ago

Hi , 

Some years back  I was going through a very low phase in life...personally and professionally...certain unexpected incidents had shaken up my self confidence and I became very weak emotionally and mentally ...you can say I was almost in a state of depression ...I wasn't sure what future holds in for me and my fears and insecurities were all time high. During that phase,  one of my relative  gifted me this book ..she noticed the change in me and said this book might make things easy....at first I thought she is being dramatic....and how a religious holy book will help me anyways...but since I love reading and practically I wasn't doing anything ...I tired to give it a shot to pass time.

At first I couldn't understand anything ...it was so complicated and the English  language used for translation  was so high , I mean dictionary rakhti thi main saath mein  otherwise I used to all go smiley29smiley36

I had to read the sentences and slokas many times to understand and process them .Slowly as I started reading in routine and then I just got attached to it ...this book is full of knowledge on spirituality,  psychology,  relationshops , emotional and mental strength...the essence of humanity and so many more topics ...more than anything it explains the entire science behind this universe , its laws of existence and destruction...in such a detailed manner ...I was thrilled to read so many concepts and principles and with each passing day I started getting answers for my questions....not in literal sense smiley36 But u need to understand and practice the principles....it takes time so be patient.

..this might sound unreal but I have seen my life changing to a whole new level ..it gave my confidence and success back  .. no no this book didn't  show me a way out of my problems in literal sense but it made me  mentally and emotionally stronger than I ever was to deal with my problems and face them without fears or insecurities.  It's all in our mind and this book teaches us to control our mind , thoughts and emotions so well.  Ultimately when you have a better mindset,  you deal with things in a better way and automatically life also changes.

It just helped me connected with my inner self all over again.It definitely made me a human being with better wisdom  ...the positive energy and inner peace that I  feel is something that I can't even describe in words...

It's definitely not an ordinary self help book throwing pearls of wisdom here and there ...its something that you will understand and admire  only once you read , understand and apply its principles to some extent. 

I still haven't completed the whole book ...I feel it's not something u can complete reading in one go ... smiley36 it's too heavy to process so I prefer reading just a page or two once in a while ....

So definitely a must must read ...

If u r really interested...try reading the detailed versions instead of summaries.

Also it's better to have a little bit of knowledge on mahabharat and arjun and the state that he was in when the book was narrated to him ...it will help u to understand things in a better way

Good luck smiley1

Edited by Onyourface - 3 years ago

Originally posted by Onyourface

Hi , 

Some years back  I was going through a very low phase in life...personally and professionally...certain unexpected incidents had shaken up my self confidence and I became very weak emotionally and mentally ...you can say I was almost in a state of depression ...I wasn't sure what future holds in for me and my fears and insecurities were all time high. During that phase,  one of my relative  gifted me this book ..she noticed the change in me and said this book might make things easy....at first I thought she is being dramatic....and how a religious holy book will help me anyways...but since I love reading and practically I wasn't doing anything ...I tired to give it a shot to pass time.

At first I couldn't understand anything ...it was so complicated and the English  language used for translation  was so high , I mean dictionary rakhti thi main saath mein  otherwise I used to all go smiley29smiley36

I had to read the sentences and slokas many times to understand and process them .Slowly as I started reading in routine and then I just got attached to it ...this book is full of knowledge on spirituality,  psychology,  relationshops , emotional and mental strength...the essence of humanity and so many more topics ...more than anything it explains the entire science behind this universe , its laws of existence and destruction...in such a detailed manner ...I was thrilled to read so many concepts and principles and with each passing day I started getting answers for my questions....not in literal sense smiley36 But u need to understand and practice the principles....it takes time so be patient.

..this might sound unreal but I have seen my life changing to a whole new level ..it gave my confidence and success back  .. no no this book didn't  show me a way out of my problems in literal sense but it made me  mentally and emotionally stronger than I ever was to deal with my problems and face them without fears or insecurities.  It's all in our mind and this book teaches us to control our mind , thoughts and emotions so well.  Ultimately when you have a better mindset,  you deal with things in a better way and automatically life also changes.

It just helped me connected with my inner self all over again.It definitely made me a human being with better wisdom  ...the positive energy and inner peace that I  feel is something that I can't even describe in words...

It's definitely not an ordinary self help book throwing pearls of wisdom here and there ...its something that you will understand and admire  only once you read , understand and apply its principles to some extent. 

I still haven't completed the whole book ...I feel it's not something u can complete reading in one go ... smiley36 it's too heavy to process so I prefer reading just a page or two once in a while ....

So definitely a must must read ...

If u r really interested...try reading the detailed versions instead of summaries.

Also it's better to have a little bit of knowledge on mahabharat and arjun and the state that he was in when the book was narrated to him ...it will help u to understand things in a better way

Good luck smiley1

Wow! So happy for you! This is exactly what I was trying to say..you expressed it so beautifully. I started reading Gita when I was 18 years of age I think. I was randomly searching something on YouTube and I happened to watch few Ramanand Sagar's Shri Krishna Gita Upadesh episodes. I was literally so amazed by it..I started reading it then. Truly it was such a great experience of reading it. But I yes I did feel it was a bit difficult to apply the principles..And as you said it requires a lot of patience. Also I have heard that amongst all the paths of self realization,the easiest is Bhakti Yoga. The moment you completely take refuge in Him, the rest of the path becomes easier..Still trying to get there๐Ÿ˜…

You have to read it to experience what some people are saying here...read it with an open mind....don't read it with preconceived notions that it will tell u something that u already know....you won't gain anything from it otherwise..

Hinduism is not a religion but a way of life...and our religious books contain so much practical knowledge and advises that its amazing.

Originally posted by Chill_Maar

Wow! So happy for you! This is exactly what I was trying to say..you expressed it so beautifully. I started reading Gita when I was 18 years of age I think. I was randomly searching something on YouTube and I happened to watch few Ramanand Sagar's Shri Krishna Gita Upadesh episodes. I was literally so amazed by it..I started reading it then. Truly it was such a great experience of reading it. But I yes I did feel it was a bit difficult to apply the principles..And as you said it requires a lot of patience. Also I have heard that amongst all the paths of self realization,the easiest is Bhakti Yoga. The moment you completely take refuge in Him, the rest of the path becomes easier..Still trying to get there๐Ÿ˜…

๐Ÿค—โค๏ธ๐Ÿค—

Wow it's so rare to find people who take interest in such readings at such a young age ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ I mean it's all considered as old age things . I also started reading it when I was 22 ๐Ÿ˜ƒ reading early definitely makes u more prepared as u age 

And those youtube videos are really nice and insightful  ....I have seen some of them  and the cherry on the cake is the flute music they play ...its really really soothing 

Actually bhakti yoga is really difficult ...I am not able to do it fully ...to feel that oneness with the divine in all times ...its one thing to read and another thing to really believe it at conscious level......the other three yogas ie gyaan yoga , karma yoga and kriya  yoga are comparatively easy ...I try practicing them a little bit

Don't take it as a burden that you have to read and apply everything...do it as much as your heart feels.