Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Which of Vishal Bhardwaj's Shakespearean trilogy do you like most?

Poll

Which of this trilogy of films based on William Shakespeare plays did you like the best?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 years ago

I thought Omkara was a class apart. It's the best adaptation of Othello I think in cinematic history (and there have been quite a few).

Saif as Langda Tyagi was phenomenal.

Haider didn't leave the same impression on me.

Maqbool was also good.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sharpener thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Haider 👏 That movie stayed with me for days. Shahid Kapoor was just too good. The other two movies were really good too. 

Mr.Abrol thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Have watched Omkara but not in one full go , more like in bits & pieces..Haider was also fine but Maqbool stood out for me..After the movie ended , even though was left feeling somber,uncheery but something had a lasting,memorable impression..Especially those last scenes when his world shattered down(for the time being)..Very realistic potrayal for some..May be personally biased towards Maqbool than the other two..Many find it to be dull & heavy(like one cousin remarked)..

Is there any HW/English or any European movie based on Macbeth ?? 

Edited by Agent_Vinod - 3 years ago
capricornrcks thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I think both Shakespeare and Vishal are overrated. I don't deny that both have merit. But that said I've read and seen better. And Shakespeare is one shady character. I'm glad that his rival Christopher Marlowe finally got credit as the collaborator of Henry VI. And the character of assassination of Richard III by Shakespeare to please his Tudor Queen lives to this day. That said, Omkara is the better of the trilogy. Saif's performance as Langda Tyagi is one of the rare occasions when the titular character got sidelined despite giving a good performance.
forza thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Maqbool was the best but Saif as Langda  was out of this world 

capricornrcks thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Agent_Vinod

There is Kunal Kapoor's Veeram, a reinterpretation of Macbeth with a local legend in Malayalam. Obviously there are differences. Kunal plays a talented professional Dueler who murders his more famous cousin. Lady Macbeth dabbles in sorcery and is deliciously evil. It was interesting to see how they kept parts of the original like the Birnam forest getting up and moving,Lady Macbeth washing her hands etc. I don't think  the Hindi version ever got released. The trailer has English subtitles.

http://y2u.be/9stk5Ix1ZXw

Edited by capricornrcks - 3 years ago
ffkhan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7

Haider hands down! It was so good that I have ended up liking the adaptation version more than the Shakespearean one. And damn, Shahid was soooo awesome! His performance in Haider has to be his best one so far. Shahid and Tabu totally nailed their roles. And Irrfan's mysterious cameo was a surprise package of the film. The depth and emotion of every character was very well portrayed.

Vishal should keep making more movies like this. I believe among the Bollywood directors, he is the best one for making the adaptations from novels.👏

Edited by ffkhan - 3 years ago
nonam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

I loved omkara and Haider both

not seen maqbool, will see

still crying over rangoon, Kangana the spoil sport

hedwig_fawkes thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

This is tough, but Maqbool.

i think Vishal B is criminally underrated as a music director tho.

Talis thumbnail
Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Agent_Vinod

Have watched Omkara but not in one full go , more like in bits & pieces..Haider was also fine but Maqbool stood out for me..After the movie ended , even though was left feeling somber,uncheery but something had a lasting,memorable impression..Especially those last scenes when his world shattered down(for the time being)..Very realistic potrayal for some..May be personally biased towards Maqbool than the other two..Many find it to be dull & heavy(like one cousin remarked)..

Most notably

Orson Welles - Macbeth (1948) with Welles starring

Roman Polanski - Macbeth (1971) with John Finch

Kurosawa - Throne of Blood (1957) (Japan) with Toshiro Mifuni

The staged play has been filmed several times, most acclaimed - with Ian McKellan & Judi Dench (1978)