Life in a Metro: Anurag Basu's most underrated film?

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 3 years ago

Just re-watched Life in a Metro and the film left me with a sense of warmth and bonhomie. What a well-crafted film which is like a slice-of-life blended with drama, made in Basu's typical quirky style. Each story had elements of relatability and seems to be made with a particularly well-honed sensibility, with the exception of a few exaggerated/lurid elements (especially the beginning, which I didn't like). Subtlety is not Basu's strong point; that's my only grouse against him.

Frankly, I think this is Basu at his best. He is at home in this complex cinematic universe when it comes to spelling out characters who are inter-connected in their love, sorrows, struggles, betrayal and redemption.

Made me think: is this his most underrated film? I know people also love Barfi and Ludo is another gem, but Life in a Metro is like his least discussed work. I know the film did well at the box-office, but it is not discussed as much as his later works. I think it's a better film than Barfi overall. Some of the scenes like when Kangana confronts Kay Kay Menon before attempting suicide, the time when Shilpa almost  gets carried away with passion and then recovers herself at the brink of infidelity, and the moments when Irfan and Konkona's characters bond are cinematic gems. You can savor these moments again and again; they come back to haunt you with their understated glory.

The stellar cast including Konkona, Kangana, Irfan and Kay Kay Menon are in their elements, and watching them is pure celluloid delight. Shilpa and Shiney are also unexpectedly good.

What's your review of the movie, if you have watched it, and do you think it is Basu's best work?

Scenes ripped off other movies left and right 😆

Haven't watched the movie but the album was a gem. All the songs were amazing. 

Haven’t watched the movie but - In Dino - is my al time fav song from that movie. 

I have memories of a decked up Irrfan Khan chasing Konkana Sen's character on a horse. After gatecrashing an impending wedding to declare her love, the woman had stormed off post that pehle bolna tha na yaar. Blouse of petticoat toh sab uske naap ka sil gaya hai. Hilarious! 😆

Needless to say, the music album is a gem. Bollywood music used to be so good during my childhood years.❤️

Edited by Wistfulness - 3 years ago

I wanted Shilpa to cheat on her jerk of a husband