Ghum Hai Kisikey Pyaar Meiin

Sai, the bahu: A zimmedari that should not be hers

janhav thumbnail
Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Sai -- who has always been shown as this impulsive girl with a sharp tongue and very often coming across as ill-mannered, has shown immense restraint during this whole slugfest between Virat and his mahaan Maratha khandaan. 

Being called "nirlajj, besharam" at the doorstep of the house where she never wanted to come in the first place but swallowing the insults need so much courage. Her thoughts during the time, "Aaba, aap chahte they main apne pairon pe khadi hokar khoob naam aur izzat kamau aur yahan jiske jo mann me aa raha hai bole jaa rahe hain, wo bhi us galti ke liye jo main karna hi nahi chahti thi" -- it says a lot. 

My heart went out to the girl, who has just lost her father, been literally displaced from her own house by so-called Kaka Kakis who did not want to take care of her and pushed on to a man she barely knows  personally but trusts from her instinct and the fact that her Aaba has always held him in high regard -- a man, who has married her despite her request to not marry her but told her that he will never be her 'husband'. 

Her silent swallowing of the insult that was meted out to her shows that she was expecting this, which is why she asked Virat during the parikrama ritual, how will he pacify his angry family that will ultimately vent out their anger towards him on her. To an extent, because she doesn't really feel an emotional connect with Virat yet and there is no "attachment or looking forward to life together" feeling here, she remained silent. I think in the entire drama that took place, she also felt as bad for Virat as for herself because she has seen that side of him where he can simply slap daylights out of someone uttering rubbish, but one cannot do that to family. 

She spoke only for Usha Maushi and for the "fasaana" part because the thought directly meant an insult to her father's legacy of being upright and honest (And, the way Virat replied to that insult was assuring). She was polite but firm in her reminder to them that they cannot just speak whatever they feel about her family -- unlike the way we have seen her so far.

Sai does know now that she is up for a massive mental torture at the hands of many sadists but she will also find her solace in Ashwini --even Virat, you could see the weight falling off from his chest a bit when his mother touched his head after the drama saying, "Bohat sun liya Virat, ab apni Maa ki sun" Oh, I love Ashwini. 

But it brings me to the question, which I would love to hear perspectives for -- Virat's conversation with Sai right after their marriage about "meri family ki taraf tumhari kuch zimmedariyan hongi" -- Is the zimmedari about keeping quiet and bearing everything like he possibly does on his own and sees his mother doing?  

Asharp officer like Virat, who observes people and their conduct before deciding his next move, certainly cannot be in the dark about the family's real face. Does he expect an aspiring medical student to try to appease his rigid, orthodox, arrogant and uncouth family members while also studying to the point of testing her endurance to be a doctor? 

In a set up like this, acceptance of daughters-in-law who have not been chosen by the egoistic matriarch or patriarch are never given that respect. In most cases like these, women live and find happiness in the love they receive from their husbands. In Virat and Sai's case, there is no 'husband' and no 'wife', so why should he force her to live in an environment that can be detrimental to her already volatile mental health? (Unless, Virat trusted his mother Ashwini to be there for Sai) It makes sense for Sai to do this only if it would have been a long term committment from a 'husband'.

WHY should Sai do this when she never asked Virat to take up her "zimmedari"? I felt it was a raw deal for Sai. Her father's pension and compensation for losing life on duty would take care of her expenses for most of her medical studies. She was not actually financially dependent on Virat so to say. He did not tell her about his family's weirdos before marrying her (along with his ummeed mat rakhna comment), especially knowing that she may not understand the dynamics of a joint family like his, having been raised to speak her mind openly. But it is her own understanding of the situation and also for Virat's dilemma that is bringing out her matured side already? But WHY should she be doing this at all? 

I would like to see Ashwini encouraging her to go back to being her fiery self and i-take-no-sh*t attitude. 

Do share thoughts -- the more the merrier!! 

Have a lovely day!

PS: still have only 11 posts so will ration replies but I love to read all kinds of perspectives 🤗🤗

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Saiviratcutest thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: jankiraghav

Sai -- who has always been shown as this impulsive girl with a sharp tongue and very often coming across as ill-mannered, has shown immense restraint during this whole slugfest between Virat and his mahaan Maratha khandaan. 

Being called "nirlajj, besharam" at the doorstep of the house where she never wanted to come in the first place but swallowing the insults need so much courage. Her thoughts during the time, "Aaba, aap chahte they main apne pairon pe khadi hokar khoob naam aur izzat kamau aur yahan jiske jo mann me aa raha hai bole jaa rahe hain, wo bhi us galti ke liye jo main karna hi nahi chahti thi" -- it says a lot. 

My heart went out to the girl, who has just lost her father, been literally displaced from her own house by so-called Kaka Kakis who did not want to take care of her and pushed on to a man she barely knows  personally but trusts from her instinct and the fact that her Aaba has always held him in high regard -- a man, who has married her despite her request to not marry her but told her that he will never be her 'husband'. 

Her silent swallowing of the insult that was meted out to her shows that she was expecting this, which is why she asked Virat during the parikrama ritual, how will he pacify his angry family that will ultimately vent out their anger towards him on her. To an extent, because she doesn't really feel an emotional connect with Virat yet and there is no "attachment or looking forward to life together" feeling here, she remained silent. I think in the entire drama that took place, she also felt as bad for Virat as for herself because she has seen that side of him where he can simply slap daylights out of someone uttering rubbish, but one cannot do that to family. 

She spoke only for Usha Maushi and for the "fasaana" part because the thought directly meant an insult to her father's legacy of being upright and honest (And, the way Virat replied to that insult was assuring). She was polite but firm in her reminder to them that they cannot just speak whatever they feel about her family -- unlike the way we have seen her so far.

Sai does know now that she is up for a massive mental torture at the hands of many sadists but she will also find her solace in Ashwini --even Virat, you could see the weight falling off from his chest a bit when his mother touched his head after the drama saying, "Bohat sun liya Virat, ab apni Maa ki sun" Oh, I love Ashwini. 

But it brings me to the question, which I would love to hear perspectives for -- Virat's conversation with Sai right after their marriage about "meri family ki taraf tumhari kuch zimmedariyan hongi" -- Is the zimmedari about keeping quiet and bearing everything like he possibly does on his own and sees his mother doing?  

Asharp officer like Virat, who observes people and their conduct before deciding his next move, certainly cannot be in the dark about the family's real face. Does he expect an aspiring medical student to try to appease his rigid, orthodox, arrogant and uncouth family members while also studying to the point of testing her endurance to be a doctor? 

In a set up like this, acceptance of daughters-in-law who have not been chosen by the egoistic matriarch or patriarch are never given that respect. In most cases like these, women live and find happiness in the love they receive from their husbands. In Virat and Sai's case, there is no 'husband' and no 'wife', so why should he force her to live in an environment that can be detrimental to her already volatile mental health? (Unless, Virat trusted his mother Ashwini to be there for Sai) It makes sense for Sai to do this only if it would have been a long term committment from a 'husband'.

WHY should Sai do this when she never asked Virat to take up her "zimmedari"? I felt it was a raw deal for Sai. Her father's pension and compensation for losing life on duty would take care of her expenses for most of her medical studies. She was not actually financially dependent on Virat so to say. He did not tell her about his family's weirdos before marrying her (along with his ummeed mat rakhna comment), especially knowing that she may not understand the dynamics of a joint family like his, having been raised to speak her mind openly. But it is her own understanding of the situation and also for Virat's dilemma that is bringing out her matured side already? But WHY should she be doing this at all? 

I would like to see Ashwini encouraging her to go back to being her fiery self and i-take-no-sh*t attitude. 

Have a lovely day!

PS: still have only 11 posts so will ration replies but I love to read all kinds of perspectives 🤗🤗

I agree, she shouldn’t be the bearer of it all. And I don’t think she will be for much longer anyways. It’s the initial episodes right now and everyone will get to know each other. She will heal from the open wounds of her father’s death with the company of Ashwini. If you noticed today, she was talking to her father’s picture and saying that she is strong and will be so. I am sure that she will hold her ground well in the house no matter how much tormenting it gets. And I don’t think we need Virat to even do an inch of the work for her; I personally hate the male savior complex. She’s got her own back and she knows it.

I-Am-SherLOCKED thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2

I 100% agree. Sai didn't sign up for any of this, least of all being the adarsh Chavan khandan bahu. I was always worried about this, that the teenage Sai will get into the rut of winning over her in laws and going out of her way to please them. I just don't want this. The purpose of her marrying Virat was so that she can fulfil her dreams. Virat, for whatever reason, blindly loves his Kaku and Baba but it would be extremely wrong of him to impose this love on Sai and expect her to bear their crap.

You make an interesting point about Ashwini. Yes, Ashwini and not Virat should be the one who brings the old, chirpy Sai back to life and through this, maybe Ashwini too will find the strength to deal with the nonsense that goes on in that house.

Sai's priority should be to focus on her studies and to become a doctor- the family drama SHOULD take a backseat. Since Virat has promised Sai and Kamal that he will do whatever it takes for Sai to become a doctor, it's also his responsibility to not force any unreasonable duties on Sai.

Roses4Moira thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

I don't think he mean like that 

Ex - agar kis ne bola ye ghar ke puja karane hoge bahu ko toh sai ko karane chahiye...sai kaliye shaadi shaadi nahi hai iska matlab ye nahi ke woh ghar ke bahu nahi hai...family ke bahu se expectations hoge... Pakhi ke vrat ke waqt family ke expectation the.. Ke woh vrat kare samrat kaliye.. Waise he kuch... 

chirpy_life19 thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: jankiraghav

Have a lovely day!

The only good thing that can be cherished about this marriage is Sai getting an Aayi in the form of Ashwini. Of course Virat would be a support too but he's not fully present for her at the moment due to some hurdles he himself created and chose to maintain to make his vaahini happy. Sai should be responsible about her life and studies but should not bother about any other 'expectations' (as described by Virat himself) from his family. Let the guy alone deal with it because it is he who has been taking all the decisions till now. Be it marrying Sai, choosing to keep the relationship only as a zimmedaari, bringing her to Nagpur, not revealing the real terms & conditions of his marriage to the family are all his own decisions hence let him go through all that he himself has created and realize the consequences.

DanmeiLover thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

I think by responsibility he only means responsibility of abiding by the basic house rules while staying at the Chavan residence and not responsibility of a DIL of the family . Both of them have enough clarity about the marriage and why they're getting married at all.

Also , why'd Sai care what they say about her or expect from her ?? Who are these people to her ? This is not her real Sasural. She can and will ignore them as far as possible and focus on her studies. 

Viraat also knows this. So they're taking the path of least resistance. 

Jiss555 thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 4 Thumbnail + 2

Sai herself said that whether they acknowledge her as a DIL or not is of not her  bcoz she is there only for a few yrs

Like u guys said the so called well meaning relatives literally put sai in virats heads by emotional backmailing virat after sais suicidal attempt (Suicide attempt was nail in the coffin )

I know that virat marry her even when she asked him not to

But virat did that bcoz of sais suicidal attempt 

Anj_01 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Sai didnt come in chavan house to bear insults. I liked how virat defended at least her aaba's name and reputation and how sai spoke up in support of usha maushi. Sai went there first time and situation was like that they did commit mistake by marrying like this without telling to family so somewhere both virat and sai were on backfoot and couldn't reply back as much and as strong as they wanted to.

But they didn't bear all the insults and spoke up when water was over their head this shows that both of them wont let themselves treated like shit always.

In both bengali and tamil versions sai started defending herself right from the next day amd virat also supported her from time to time that how their bond grew stronger. I hope creatives here show this with same sentivity and dont go for over the top "nayi bahu par atyachar karo" theme.