Toxicity and Emotional Abuse Rampant in Joint Families like Goenkas

Aditi_X thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Today's episode and the portrayal of the elders of the Goenkas (namely Manish and Suhasini) perfectly showcases how emotionally abusive Indian joint families can be. I know this doesn't happen in all joint families, but it is very common. Let's take this point by point, shall we? Buckle up, peeps.

During Gayu's outburst and her trying to leave the house, we saw Surekha's feelings explode too. Let me make it clear that her thoughts on the matter of Luv-Kush are completely wrong. Those boys were absolutely terrible and had their jail term coming. But let's focus on the other things she said. She condoned Gayu's decision of leaving the house so that she can live in peace. Surekha said she had felt belittled and ignored many times in the past but either didn't recognize it or couldn't verbalize it. And I can totally see that. This is so common in joint families where women have to swallow their feelings and "adjust" and "compromise" to keep peace in the family. The makers tried to include this to antagonize her but her feelings were the most realistic of the lot apart from Gayu.

Manish and Suhasini Dadi's shock at this outburst from two daughters-in-law of the house was just laughable. I guess they didn't ever expect anyone to say anything to their injustice after getting away with it for so long.

Gayu's decision to leave the Goenka Villa was the perfect decision for her mental health and her children's future. I mean, she also needs to leave that scumbag Samarth, but that's a story for another time. When Gayu announced that decision and started walking out, Kartik came up and declared that he'd leave the house with his wife and kids. How manipulative is that? I don't care if he meant it for good or if it was a temporary strategy, but that is just not okay. It seemed like guilt-tripping. If Gayu would have left, she could finally start a new life without the negativity of the Goenkas. Kartik unnecessarily introduced a whole new complication. If they (Karia) left the house, then Gayu would have to take even more shit from the Goenkas because she drove away the life of the house, i.e. Kaira and kids. It wouldn't have made anyone happy, not Gayu, not Kaira, and definitely not the rest of the Goenkas. Gayu was right. Kaira and their kids should just stay there for everyone's good and let her leave without creating drama. 

Swarna then tried to stop both Gayu and Kartik by saying that it's so difficult to raise kids alone. Even Naksh said that. Which world do these people live in, might I ask? Hundreds of thousands of parents all over the world raise their kids as a nuclear family. I guess Gayu would end up being a single mother (with the hope that she leaves Samarth), but even that is not impossible. And how is raising kids around people like Manish and Suhasini and Samarth easy in the slightest? In fact, getting away from these Goenkas would make it ten-fold easier for her to raise her kids. Gayu would be happier and at peace. She'd have control over her life and she'd know how to raise her kids properly so that they can face the world one day but still be kind and virtuous. We forget that Gayu has seen a lot of tragedy in her life. Her biological father left her mother for another woman and she was raised by a single mother for the majority of her life. When her mother remarried, she shortly lost both her parents to a car accident. Then she lost Akshara who was the closest to a mother figure she had after Rashmi. And then she lost the love of her life, her fiance, Vivaan. And she stood up to these storms time and time again. Don't you think a resilient woman like her would be able to figure out her way in life as a single mother? She knows it can be done; she's practically been raised by a single mother.

Gayu's insecurities probably stem from her time at the Singhanias. I know Akshara and Naitik never considered her to be any less of a daughter than Naira. But imagine this. When Naira left for Rishikesh as a teenager, Gayu stepped up from her grief of losing her parents and took care of Akshara and Naitik. She took solace in them but also became their pillar of support. But once Naira came back, she was just welcomed with open arms and given her place. Later when Naira left for Goa and was presumed dead, Gayu was still there fulfilling all the responsibilities of being the Singhanias' daughter. She was right when she told Naksh that she had tied many more rakhis than Naira. And she was right in yesterday's episode when she called Naira the biggest "draamebaaz." Naira had a misunderstanding with her mother so she left for Rishikesh without giving a thought to how devastated her father, brother, and the rest of the family will be. When her husband had the gall to ask her a question (I know it was in bad taste but at least he was communicating), she left everyone without second thoughts about her maternal family. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that she let her old grandmothers believe that she was dead rather than just divorce Kartik if she was that mad. She left her "family" for years on end as her mind pleased, but Gayu was always there. 

In the entire episode, Gayu was being shown as the villian, both with her dialogues and the editing. But that is not at all true in my opinion. In a realistic scenario, any sane woman would and should leave such an abusive and toxic household. Honestly, her biggest mistake was ever marrying Samarth. The Goenkas did a huge disservice to her by proposing the marriage right after she lost Vivaan. Poor girl was still processing her grief and wasn't in the right state of mind, but the Goenkas did not have the decency to even wait a few days. And Rama Dadi decided it was best to marry her off rather than let her grieve and move on. She should have just let her be a single mother to Vivaan's child. She was single all this time and she was away from the Singhanias so she must have already been financially independent. And even if she wasn't, she definitely had the skills to do so. She used to work in Naitik's company as a jewelry designer, remember? She could have raised Vansh with Vivaan's memories and then married once she felt that she had moved on and found a person who was worthy of her. Kind of how Rashmi found a gem like Sameer years later. But no, she married Samarth, who she would have seen to be so much worse than Vivaan, if she were in her senses and not grieving. Honestly, Vivaan was such a sweetheart. When he first proposed, Gayu said no, and he respected that and still stayed friends with her without ever making her feel guilty or uncomfortable. I hate that he was killed off. 

Now, coming to Manish. Where do I even begin? Right towards the end of the fight, the soundtrack of Baghban started playing. How convenient! What a strategy by the makers! 👏 This is exactly the kind of portrayal of "elders" in Indian culture that is so emotionally manipulative. So Manish and his mom can behave however they like with the members of the family (Gayu, Vansh, Kirti, Naira, Krishna) but if one of them (in this case Gayu) decides to leave for their own good or shows them a mirror, they are essentially disrespecting them. Just by way of being elder, Manish is placed on a pedestal, and anyone who points out their disappointment is the bad guy. They are essentially breaking up a happy family. But from which angle are the Goenkas a happy family? Why are they so obsessed with keeping such a toxic household together? Manish kept going on and on about how his home is falling apart -- "ghar tut raha hai." No my man, you never built a home. You only built a villa. Goenka Villa. 

Edited by Aditii - 3 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

janecastle thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

I feel the main problem is that everything is focused on Kaira. Nobody else's feelings or emotions matter other than that of Kaira. Look at how Naksh and Kirti's divorce track was handled. It almost felt as if makers wanted to re-live Kaira's divorce track and just used Naksh & Kirti for it. It is kind of frustrating to see that none of the other characters are given a voice and their emotions are considered irrelevant. And when someone, like Gayu dare to raise voice against the problems they face, they are made to look bad and negative. The makers can't think beyond making Kaira mahaan and in that process, they are ruining every single character. They already ruined Kaira by showing their numerous misunderstandings, separations and remarriage tracks. Now they are destroying characters like Naksh, Kirti, Gayu etc. Even today, Gayu's decision to leave was absolutely right. Wasn't that the original plan too. That Samrath & Gayu will go to Mumbai with their kids. So why did Karthik make a huge hullabaloo and said that he, Naira and their kids will leave. Is he really naïve or stupid to think that Gayu and kids will get a moment of peace if Kaira and kids will leave? Dadi and Manish will make their life a living hell. But no, Karthik wanted to show how mahaan he is and decided to leave himself. Sorry to say, but by doing that he is putting Gayu and kids in even bigger problem. The makers should realise that just because Kaira are leads, doesn't mean that they have to be mahaan always. Same way, just because Gayu is a supporting character, doesn't mean her problems and concerns are wrong. The makers don't know how to strike a balance and that has destroyed most of the characters in this show including Kaira.

kendra thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4

Perfect. On point analysis! Gayu should also blast Samarth afterwards and leave him. I don't know why makers are trying to make us feel sympathetic for Manish and dadi. They are the two most biased people and their reaction was laughable the entire time. That's what I miss about the old days of this show, all the characters had a parallel story line and not everything was solved by Akshara.

Edited by kendra - 3 years ago
mahaan18 thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Absolutely correct, I feel gayu should give a tight slap to Samarth before marriage he came with his fake promises saying that I will take care of gayu, i love her a lot, and accept the baby. Now what happened to him he forced gayu to have their own baby and that put demand saying that it should be a boy during her 2nd pregnancy.

And naira why the hell does she cry all the time I'm so sick of it. You call yourself as sherni and show that you are weak it's stupid. People say that naira mein Akshara ki chavi dikhayi deti hai but I'm sorry she isn't like Akshara. Akshara was so bold and strong even when Karishma was trying to bring all those insecurities issues Akshara didn't cry a lot she just shut karishma off. 

Aditi_X thumbnail

Originally posted by: janecastle

I feel the main problem is that everything is focused on Kaira. Nobody else's feelings or emotions matter other than that of Kaira. Look at how Naksh and Kirti's divorce track was handled. It almost felt as if makers wanted to re-live Kaira's divorce track and just used Naksh & Kirti for it. It is kind of frustrating to see that none of the other characters are given a voice and their emotions are considered irrelevant. And when someone, like Gayu dare to raise voice against the problems they face, they are made to look bad and negative. The makers can't think beyond making Kaira mahaan and in that process, they are ruining every single character. They already ruined Kaira by showing their numerous misunderstandings, separations and remarriage tracks. Now they are destroying characters like Naksh, Kirti, Gayu etc. Even today, Gayu's decision to leave was absolutely right. Wasn't that the original plan too. That Samrath & Gayu will go to Mumbai with their kids. So why did Karthik make a huge hullabaloo and said that he, Naira and their kids will leave. Is he really naïve or stupid to think that Gayu and kids will get a moment of peace if Kaira and kids will leave? Dadi and Manish will make their life a living hell. But no, Karthik wanted to show how mahaan he is and decided to leave himself. Sorry to say, but by doing that he is putting Gayu and kids in even bigger problem. The makers should realise that just because Kaira are leads, doesn't mean that they have to be mahaan always. Same way, just because Gayu is a supporting character, doesn't mean her problems and concerns are wrong. The makers don't know how to strike a balance and that has destroyed most of the characters in this show including Kaira.

@Bold: My thoughts exactly. Kartik is being emotionally manipulative by guilt-tripping Gayu in this situation. In fact, this is what he does every. single. time. It is a tactic used by abusers to keep their victim trapped.

Think about this. You go to someone and express a problem with something they did or said. They reply by saying, "I'm so sorry. You know what, from now on I won't even say anything. I'll just leave. I'm so terrible. I shouldn't even be here." Then they go on to hurt themselves in some way, usually emotionally as is the case in YRKKH. Now, you feel guilty for ever expressing a problem because it has gotten them (and possibly others) hurt. So you go and apologize and everything is back to the way it was before. The original problem hasn't been solved but the abuser now has a one-up on you and you feel guilty thinking it was all your mistake.

This is the kind of abuse Kartik is doing to Gayu right now. This is what he did to Kirti too. Remember when Naira lost her memory and Kaira were getting ready to get married? Kirti expressed a genuine concern that every time Kartik-Naira mess up, her life gets affected. And she was right! Kaira got divorced which made Naitik leave for Mumbai with Naira leaving Naksh alone here to handle the mess causing strain on Kirti-Naksh's marraige. Hell, even worse, Kartik literally stole her kid for Naira while she was in a coma!! She was scared that Krish would be taken from her and given to Naira if her health worsens. And Naksh was responsible for that mess, but I can't go into that rabbit hole right now. So what does Kartik do? Does he talk with Naksh? Does he even properly apologize to Kirti? NO! He leaves Naira at the altar and refuses to marry her without any explanation causing pain to himself, Naira, and every family member involved. Kirti feels guilty for thinking the way she did and apologizes to Kartik and everyone gets a happy ending. But Kirti's very genuine fears and concerns are never addressed. Instead, she is shown as the negative character and Kartik is glorified. 

This is the definition of abuse, people. And it is being glorified on national television. No wonder all this gets so normalized in Indian joint families. No wonder there are no boundaries, especially for women, in Indian families.

Aditi_X thumbnail

Originally posted by: kendra

Perfect. On point analysis! Gayu should also blast Samarth afterwards and leave him. I don't know why makers are trying to make us feel sympathetic for Manish and dadi. They are the two most biased people and their reaction was laughable the entire time. That's what I miss about the old days of this show, all the characters had a parallel story line and not everything was solved by Akshara.

@Bold: This is another emotional abuse tactic which is being glorified on prime time television. Elders in Indian families are deemed so worthy of respect even if they are so regressive and mean and just ethically wrong! And anyone who poses a genuine concern or expresses a problem against them has essentially disrespected them and their "sacrifices" for the family. Just by way of being elder and having brought children into the world, they pretty much get ownership over their lives. YRKKH has been doing this since its inception, be it with Gayatri Ma, Bhabhimaa, Daddaji, and mostly with Rukmini Dadi. The shit that Rukmini put Nandini and Yash through was so horrible, but she was still tolerated and everyone including Naitik-Akshara walked on eggshells around her so as not to upset her. It was nauseating.

Aditi_X thumbnail

Originally posted by: mahaan18

Absolutely correct, I feel gayu should give a tight slap to Samarth before marriage he came with his fake promises saying that I will take care of gayu, i love her a lot, and accept the baby. Now what happened to him he forced gayu to have their own baby and that put demand saying that it should be a boy during her 2nd pregnancy.

And naira why the hell does she cry all the time I'm so sick of it. You call yourself as sherni and show that you are weak it's stupid. People say that naira mein Akshara ki chavi dikhayi deti hai but I'm sorry she isn't like Akshara. Akshara was so bold and strong even when Karishma was trying to bring all those insecurities issues Akshara didn't cry a lot she just shut karishma off. 

@Bold: I made a whole separate post on this. Naira is probably the most irritating character on the show now solely because of her crying. Even Akshara didn't cry this much. It's insulting to her character when people say Naira is Akshara's shadow. I had my problems with Akshara's portrayal too sometimes especially after they returned from Capetown. But even then, Naira was never even comparable to Akshara considering all the blunders she made. If anything, I'll say that Gayu was a better daughter to Akshara after the leap; she could be deemed Akshara's shadow but not Naira.

kendra thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Aditii

@Bold: My thoughts exactly. Kartik is being emotionally manipulative by guilt-tripping Gayu in this situation. In fact, this is what he does every. single. time. It is a tactic used by abusers to keep their victim trapped.

Think about this. You go to someone and express a problem with something they did or said. They reply by saying, "I'm so sorry. You know what, from now on I won't even say anything. I'll just leave. I'm so terrible. I shouldn't even be here." Then they go on to hurt themselves in some way, usually emotionally as is the case in YRKKH. Now, you feel guilty for ever expressing a problem because it has gotten them (and possibly others) hurt. So you go and apologize and everything is back to the way it was before. The original problem hasn't been solved but the abuser now has a one-up on you and you feel guilty thinking it was all your mistake.

This is the kind of abuse Kartik is doing to Gayu right now. This is what he did to Kirti too. Remember when Naira lost her memory and Kaira were getting ready to get married? Kirti expressed a genuine concern that every time Kartik-Naira mess up, her life gets affected. And she was right! Kaira got divorced which made Naitik leave for Mumbai with Naira leaving Naksh alone here to handle the mess causing strain on Kirti-Naksh's marraige. Hell, even worse, Kartik literally stole her kid for Naira while she was in a coma!! She was scared that Krish would be taken from her and given to Naira if her health worsens. And Naksh was responsible for that mess, but I can't go into that rabbit hole right now. So what does Kartik do? Does he talk with Naksh? Does he even properly apologize to Kirti? NO! He leaves Naira at the altar and refuses to marry her without any explanation causing pain to himself, Naira, and every family member involved. Kirti feels guilty for thinking the way she did and apologizes to Kartik and everyone gets a happy ending. But Kirti's very genuine fears and concerns are never addressed. Instead, she is shown as the negative character and Kartik is glorified. 

This is the definition of abuse, people. And it is being glorified on national television. No wonder all this gets so normalized in Indian joint families. No wonder there are no boundaries, especially for women, in Indian families.

For me, Kartik's character never recovered after he stole Krish from Keerti. I don't know how any normal family would ever move past that? Even with Vedika track, she was deliberately made a villain so that a great milan could happen. All other characters are shown in a negative light just to glorify the leads. What you wrote is so true, point by point. 

mahaan18 thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Exactly absolutely correct. I remember when keerti was conveying all these things to Kartik most of them were telling why is she telling it to Kartik she can tell it to naksh she know whom to convey it to. Naksh wanted his father badly he needed his support and why naira and naitik had to go to Mumbai for it when kartik and naira were separated they could have been in Udaipur itself. Not only that I was suprised in one more thing when naksh said I will give krish to naira if her health worsens and bhabhimaa and devyani were standing and listening to it clearly showed that they were supporting him in that decision. Did bhabhimaa forget about her time what khaand she did during akshara and nandini time? 

For naksh first naira comes then family and then keerti and son come but still, keerti doesn't have any problem with it. But giving Krish to naira without consulting his wife was ridiculous. Kartik cancelling his marriage with naira showed that Kaira are mahaan and keerti is wrong that's rubbish. 

Dvanshi123 thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: mahaan18

Exactly absolutely correct. I remember when keerti was conveying all these things to Kartik most of them were telling why is she telling it to Kartik she can tell it to naksh she know whom to convey it to. Naksh wanted his father badly he needed his support and why naira and naitik had to go to Mumbai for it when kartik and naira were separated they could have been in Udaipur itself. Not only that I was suprised in one more thing when naksh said I will give krish to naira if her health worsens and bhabhimaa and devyani were standing and listening to it clearly showed that they were supporting him in that decision. Did bhabhimaa forget about her time what khaand she did during akshara and nandini time? 

For naksh first naira comes then family and then keerti and son come but still, keerti doesn't have any problem with it. But giving Krish to naira without consulting his wife was ridiculous. Kartik cancelling his marriage with naira showed that Kaira are mahaan and keerti is wrong that's rubbish. 

Karthik stole krrish from keerti and naksh.

These idiots spolied mansi and anmol's wedding. 

Forget the torture their parents have gone through coz of them.

Yet how come are they mahaan??